Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Mages Guild - No Longer Seem to Earning for Lore Books?

cyanowl
cyanowl
Soul Shriven
Noob Q.
I'm about 130 CP and finally went back to finish my mages guild quest recently. Ever since I did that, I'm not seeing the bar pop in the corner to tell me I earned xp/rep/whatever with the Mages Guild when I read lorebooks.. which is always did. I only see "lorebook found" or whatever across the screen, but my progress bar does not gain any yellow :(

I would love to get to Mages Guild 10 so I can Meteor. I'd also like to get to max out Everlasting magic ( I use Degeneration often) but I seem to be locked at 6.

Is there any other way to gain Mages Guild? Or is it Lorebooks only?
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's Lorebooks and maybe the Mages Guild daily but I'm not sure as was already 10.

It's only the purple books that count not all of them. And completing the sets gives you the big bar jumps. Check your journal and focus on ticking sets off.

If you get the dungeon books, all Cyro, Zones 1-5 and Coldharbour you hit L10, just. All a bit different now with One Tam you can get everywhere.

Focus on set completions and If bar still isnt visuably moving the log a case with support
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • Magdalina
    Magdalina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It's not all the books. It's not only purple books I think, pretty sure some of non purple work too but for instance Wrothgar books don't count at all afair. There's an add-on for that, try to focus main(non dlc) zones, I thimk all/almost all of them count and there's plenty.
  • WarpigFunk
    WarpigFunk
    ✭✭✭
    The only way to progress the Mages Guild is lorebooks unfortunately. It's the crappiest guild to level up in the game imo, but basically essential for most if not all Magicka based classes.

As to your not getting progression, pretty sure what happened is this ...

You finished the mages guild questline and got Shalidors Eidetic Memory passive ...
    What that does essentially, in practical terms, is make it so that almost any book you read shows up with "Lorebook" message on screen.

Prior to getting that passive, only Mages Guild "purple" lorebooks would give you that message, so you assume that anytime you see the "lorebook" message pop pup you'd be getting mages guild credit. But now, ALL books give the message, and you're not seeing mages guild skill progression on the regular ones.

Keep in mind the books you get progression credit for are generally scrolls or books laying around and generally have a purple glow to them. You will not find Mages Guild progression lorebooks in bookshelves, or books/ papers with a gold glow.

A good way to speed things up is get the add on that shows lorebooks on the map if you're on PC, or if on console use a website with lorebook maps - you can find tons with google. Also - look in your lorebooks achievements tab and find lorebooks that will help you "complete sets" ... you get lots of bonus progression exp by completing a set. Each zone has it's own set, and there are other sets completed by finding specific types of books across multiple zones.... there are even lore books for set completion found in Cyrodiil.
    Edited by WarpigFunk on March 13, 2017 7:45PM
    PS4 [NA]
    Hingle McKringleberry - Altmer MagSorc DD The Flawless Conquerer
    Sek Sual Chocolate - Redguard StamSorc DD Stormproof
    Doktor Feelgood - Breton Templar Healz Boethia's Scythe
    Tiberius Asskickatron - Imperial DK StamTank Mageslayer
    -VERIFIED-
    -FFF-
    vAAHM 100k+, vSOHM 100k+, vHRCHM 100k+, vMoL 78k, vDSA 36k, vMA 535k
  • cyanowl
    cyanowl
    Soul Shriven
    Yes, you're right - now more books show as "lorebooks", but only the glowing book are triggering rep.

I'll be sure to check into getting completed sets to get full rep.

Thank you all much!