Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Are there higher quality wooden platforms and planks?

NordSwordnBoard
NordSwordnBoard
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
I've only gotten the "rough" wooden ones but I was wondering if there were recipes available that are better quality than "rough".

For example, ones that would better match the floors in Ravenhurst - Darker type of wood, more uniform and no bent or crooked planks.

The closest substitute I can find is the Orcish platform, which is still in need of some sandpaper. You will also lose a fair amount of vertical height using those, which is important for movement range on 2nd floors in staple/large homes.

Any advice for a substitute? Anybody else interested in flooring that matches your home's floor?
Fear is the Mindkiller

Best Answer

• kadar
    kadar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe it was @IcyDeadPeople who made a video about using the backs of picture frames for flooring. Looks pretty nice. You can even walk across them if you put them midair.
    Answer ✓
  • STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    orcish platform blocks and the orcish bar long (iirc???) are things i have used for creating decks and ramps and even walls. they have nice appearance and have nice side views. They both have good area covered.

For flooring at ground level, dont see any reason you could not sink them into the ground leaving only the surface you desired on the top.

orcish bar long IIRC is also very economical, only requiring heartwood, not regulus and other mats on top of the heartwood.

i keep saying bar... might be counter... or it could be called orcish bar and be listed under counters... whatever.
    Proudly skooma free while talks-when-drunk is in mandatory public housing.
    YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

First Law of Nerf-o-Dynamics
    "The good way I used to get good kills *with good skill* was good but the way others kill me now is bad."

• Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The platform is the only thing I know of atm.

What I did was place the platform far enough into the wall that it cut the wall's natural appearance, yet far enough back that the wall's natural trimming stayed. Looks like the wall is made of wood rather than plaster.

Also built myself a loft and small storage room.

Moonmirth needed a bit more efficient use of the high ceiling, the loft looks amazing.

Also, orcish nice selves make for a beautiful stair case, I used the pole bars and placed them in the ground far enough down only enough to make railings appear.
    Edited by Waffennacht on March 13, 2017 2:27AM
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • NordSwordnBoard
    NordSwordnBoard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @STEVIL @Waffennacht

Thanks for the replies and ideas. I looked at the spreadsheets people have, but hoped I was overlooking something.

If you could stand outside and see all the stuff clipping out from the inside of my house it would look like a bird's nest.

Practicality plays a role in how this all comes out, as silly as that may be to some people... I can't say its the HVAC system or space for Han & Chewie to hide from Imperials when the upstairs floor is thicker than the building's walls.

I'll give the Orcish ones a shot and see what I can do, until something better is made available.
    Fear is the Mindkiller
  • Kesstryl
    Kesstryl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I usually double up the wide platform so that it has no gaps in it, and it looks decent that way.
    HEARTHLIGHT - A guild for housing enthusiasts! Contact @Kesstryl in-game to join.
  • Paladin_cash3
    Kesstryl wrote: »
    I usually double up the wide platform so that it has no gaps in it, and it looks decent that way.

this is what i do as well placing two platforms back to back (rough side in)looks good
  • IcyDeadPeople
    IcyDeadPeople
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I believe it was @IcyDeadPeople who made a video about using the backs of picture frames for flooring. Looks pretty nice. You can even walk across them if you put them midair.

No, never heard of this before. Sounds handy, though.