Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Is dw magicka casting dead?

Jitterbug
Jitterbug
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
Or not. I'm confused.
Edited by Jitterbug on March 10, 2017 6:58AM

Best Answers

• Mayrael
    Mayrael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can tell you about it just from PvP perspective. Its about utility. Fire staff boosts your single target attacks, while lightning does it for aoes. Weaving and heavy attacks are great utilities, they are powerful, no cost (even more, they reterun magicka) attacks. Right now, the only reason to use DW is because of 1 additional set part.
    Say no to Toxic Casuals!
    I am doing my best, but I am not a native speaker, sorry.

"Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game." - @AlexanderDeLarge
    Answer ✓
  • EldritchPenguin
    EldritchPenguin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jitterbug wrote: »
    As in DW Magicka builds? They're not dead, per say, but only Magplar really has a reason to run DW over a Destruction Staff.

Yes, I mean casting magicka spells using DW swords to boost damage.

How come no other classes than magplar see the benefits anymore?
    The main spammable abilities that Magplars use, Puncturing Sweeps and Radiant Oppresion, both have cast times. As a result, their attack weaves are much further than one second apart, and so they gain a lot less overall damage from attack weaves than the other classes. So Magplars gain more overall damage from an extra enchantment and an extra set piece than they do from attack weaves.

Mind you, you still attack weave as a Dual Wield Magplar, but it's more to proc enchantments and generate Ultimate than for damage.
    Edited by EldritchPenguin on March 11, 2017 4:37AM
    Lilelle Adlis - Dark Elf Dragonknight

Vaynothah Sailenar - Dark Elf Templar

Sherivah Telvanni - Dark Elf Sorcerer

Nephiah Telvanni - Dark Elf Nightblade
    Answer ✓
  • EldritchPenguin
    EldritchPenguin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As in DW Magicka builds? They're not dead, per say, but only Magplar really has a reason to run DW over a Destruction Staff.

• Jitterbug
    Jitterbug
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Yes, I mean casting magicka spells using DW swords to boost damage.

How come no other classes than magplar see the benefits anymore?
  • Wizball1987
    Wizball1987
    ✭✭✭
    Cuz magplar use sweeps in melee range...i just completed vmsa with duel overoad sorc..but id use fire n lightning staff in groups
  • Jitterbug
    Jitterbug
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Cuz magplar use sweeps in melee range...i just completed vmsa with duel overoad sorc..but id use fire n lightning staff in groups

So it's a weaving thing?
  • Wizball1987
    Wizball1987
    ✭✭✭
    Its prolly the new passives on staff's that are making them better tbh
  • EldritchPenguin
    EldritchPenguin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its prolly the new passives on staff's that are making them better tbh
    In the specific case of Magplars, the 5% damage increase from Twin Blade and Blunt, plus the extra set piece, more than make up for the difference from the Destruction Staff passive. Furthermore, those bonuses apply to both single target and AoE abilities, whereas the Staff passives apply to one or the other.

What makes Destro frontbar stronger on the other classes is the combination of Ancient Knowledge and attack weaving.
    Edited by EldritchPenguin on March 11, 2017 1:31PM