Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

FISHING EXPERTS: Pease help

Tai-Chi
Tai-Chi
✭✭✭✭

My Main Crafter took up Fishing a few days ago, for the first time. It fits in well with her Harvesting and 'Daily Quests' run and she is doing surprisingly well.

QUESTION 1
She sometimes sees black fish swimming or jumping about in the fishing spot. Is this occurrence telling her it's time to upgrade the fishing bait?

QUESTION 2
Are the rarer fish only found in a particular spot, or can they turn up in any similar/like spot?

PC - EU (Main) & PC - NA

Best Answer

• esotoon
    esotoon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tai-Chi wrote: »
    QUESTION 1
    She sometimes sees black fish swimming or jumping about in the fishing spot. Is this occurrence telling her it's time to upgrade the fishing bait?

Nope. It's just a nice animation. :)

If the first thing you catch is used bait, you are using the wrong bait. Otherwise, if you are not sure of the type of bait you should be using, when you catch a fish you can use it to tell you which type of water you are fishing in, and then switch to the correct bait.

See here for a guide:

http://www.esofishing.com/
    QUESTION 2
    Are the rarer fish only found in a particular spot, or can they turn up in any similar/like spot?

Rare fish are specific to a zone, and a water type, so are found in any hole within that zone with the correct type of water. So for example, Thrassian Eel is a rare fish, that can be caught from any of the Ocean fishing holes in Auridon.

Edited by esotoon on March 7, 2017 7:11PM
    Answer ✓
  • I_killed_Vivec
    I_killed_Vivec
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Not sure what you mean by upgrade the bait - you should always use the correct bait for the type of water: river, lake, sea and foul (insects, guts, worms and crawlers respectively).

Often the water type is obvious, sometimes it's not - if you are pulling used bait out of the water then change your bait!

The only rare fish that I know that requires you to fish in a specific spot is the one in Wrothgar, for all other fish if you find a fishing spot then you might get lucky!
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    We have moved this thread to the Players Helping Players forum.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    http://deltiasgaming.com/2015/04/27/eso-fishing-guide/

A friend wrote that guide and it will really make your fishing easier. The fish swimming just mark the spot and do not mean anything other than there is a fishing hole there. What bait you use depends on if you are fishing in ocean, lake, river or fowl water. The guide will tell you which bait to use where.

There will be two green and one blue trophy fish for each type of water in each zone, so 12 trophy fish total in each except in the starter zones that only have one blue. You can catch the river trophy fish in any river spot and so on with each type. Some zones only have three types of water so one will have all the trophy fish for the missing type.

If you have any questions after reading the guide maybe I can help.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My Main Crafter took up Fishing a few days ago, for the first time. It fits in well with her Harvesting and 'Daily Quests' run and she is doing surprisingly well.

QUESTION 1

QUESTION 2

1. That just tells you the hole is active, it is part of the gurgling water animation. It would look weird if there were no fish.
    2. Green and Blue Fish, which I assume your asking about come from any hole you are fishing. But, each hole has it's own rare fish, so you have to get the rares from each hole type in the zone. I think there are two different green species and one blue fish species per hole in most places. To increase the chances, have more people with you fishing the hole. 4 to 5 is a good amount, 2 to 3 is kind of OK. There is a Purple Fish in Wrothgar that if you follow the suggestions of the NPC that you talk to, you will get the fish in one or two casts solo, so it's not really a rare one. (hints, talk to her and explore all options, and fish at night, use Worms as it is the ocean). If you don't follow the suggestions, it won't show up, ever.

If you use the proper bait, you will catch a fish or gunny sack on every cast. You must take the used bait if you get any as it won't catch anything. There is a book in the game that tells you what bait to use, and follow this:

Still Water Lake
    Moving Water River
    Corpses or Bones or obvious Sewer exit nearby Foul Water
    Coast Ocean

I will leave it you to figure out the optimal baits, or read the book I alluded to above. Note, secondary baits you get are no better at getting rare fish, and are never used in the hole you get them at.

Final note, getting Greens or Blues may be harder now with Homestead as there are Furniture Mats diluting the Loot Table.
    Edited by Nestor on March 7, 2017 7:09PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This guide is very useful:-

• lagrue
    lagrue
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of the comments here mentions how the odds go up if more people are at a hole.

As much as fishing with others increases your chances - don't do it. So much better to harvest that beautiful, beautiful Roe from all your failures and either sell it for extortion level gold, or use it to craft EXP pots and sell those for extortion level gold.
    PSN ID (NA only): Zuzu_With_a_Z
    *GRAND MASTER CRAFTER*

"You must defeat me every time. I need defeat you only once"
  • Tai-Chi
    Tai-Chi
    ✭✭✭✭
    esotoon wrote: »
    QUESTION 1

Nope. It's just a nice animation. :)

If the first thing you catch is used bait, you are using the wrong bait. Otherwise, if you are not sure of the type of bait you should be using, when you catch a fish you can use it to tell you which type of water you are fishing in, and then switch to the correct bait.

See here for a guide:

QUESTION 2

Rare fish are specific to a zone, and a water type, so are found in any hole within that zone with the correct type of water. So for example, Thrassian Eel is a rare fish, that can be caught from any of the Ocean fishing holes in Auridon.

This answers my questions specifically; thank you @esotoon .

I read up about the specific bait and used "Hismear Fish-Eye Rye", so I knew what type of water pool I was looking at.

By 'upgrade of bait' @I_killed_Vivec , I meant does one need to use eg, roe, mino, chub etc to catch the more rare fish. Thank you for the Wrothgar tip, I have made a note for future reference.

Thank-you for the Deltia link @kargen27 . I have used his site many times but did not notice that he covers fishing as well.

Thank-you @Nestor . As per usual on these forums, you have given very helpful and useful advice.
    I have been fishing solo, in between Harvesting, Dolmens and Daily Quest runs and the results have been very good.

That is a very good tip @lagrue , I need to top up my bank funds with Gold , since Homestead.

A smashing guide @Tandor . I have copied the link to my browser. Thank you.

All of your answers are good and useful. You all get an awsome.

If you are passing Domus Phracticus, please pop in for a bite.

Fish & Chips (with a difference) on the menu most days - deppending on what I caught and is fresh.
    Ruby Tench, Lake Chub, Thorny Catfish or Rainbow Zander - to name but a few.

If you do not like chips, then there are always 'waxy-potatoes' instead.
    All served with fresh waxy redishes, lettuice, tomatoes beetroot and hebs.
    For afters, baked waxy apples or squash with waxy grapes.
    For those with a sweeter tooth - plenty of waxy Sweetrolls always availabe.

Thanks guys. o:)

PC - EU (Main) & PC - NA
  • shack80
    shack80
    ✭✭✭
    Fishing is actually quite relaxing and easy once you get it. I really don't use that much of the guides anymore. Only when I'm missing a few rare fish i will check from which water type they spawn. I still have so many fishes to catch that I can easily check from the achievements and travel to the location from which I miss the most.

And perfect roe has great value so if you dont know the recipe you can easily sell those for 10k+ a piece.

Have fun fishing!
  • Tai-Chi
    Tai-Chi
    ✭✭✭✭
    shack80 wrote: »
    Fishing is actually quite relaxing and easy once you get it. I really don't use that much of the guides anymore. Only when I'm missing a few rare fish i will check from which water type they spawn. I still have so many fishes to catch that I can easily check from the achievements and travel to the location from which I miss the most.

And perfect roe has great value so if you dont know the recipe you can easily sell those for 10k+ a piece.

Have fun fishing!

Thank's for the reply.
    I have been playing ESO for over 2 years but I never took to fishing.
    Since harvesting mats for Homestead, I have taken to it. I agree, it is relaxing, and one can do other things as well, at the same time.
    I have met quite a few nice players along the way.
    I have completed the 3 x starter isles, all of Craglorn, most of Deshaan, Stonefalls, Rivenspire and Auridion.
    Not bad for less than 1 week. :)
    PC - EU (Main) & PC - NA
  • parkham
    parkham
    ✭✭✭
    Other than perfect roe, is there any game mechanical reason to fish? I heard something about housing.

I asked in zone when I first started playing "Is there a point to fishing?" To which a lot of people replied, "Nope, none. It's just relaxing." Only later did I realize what a perfect roe is used for.

PC-NA-EST

- All's Faire Guild
    - Divine Crusade Guild
    - Greybeards & Gals Guild
    - Dead Citizens Guild
  • esotoon
    esotoon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    parkham wrote: »
    Other than perfect roe, is there any game mechanical reason to fish? I heard something about housing.

I asked in zone when I first started playing "Is there a point to fishing?" To which a lot of people replied, "Nope, none. It's just relaxing." Only later did I realize what a perfect roe is used for.

There is a rare chance of catching various size/shaped fish that you can put in your house, or other fishing related furniture items (starfish, kelp, etc.)

There is a small chance of catching a wet gunny sack that will contain a random crafting material.

There are also 6(?) dyes and a title to collect through fishing.
    Edited by esotoon on March 8, 2017 2:06PM
  • Tai-Chi
    Tai-Chi
    ✭✭✭✭
    parkham wrote: »

Homestead has added Furnishing objects as random rewards whilst you fish.

So far I have caught
    • 3 x small (blue) fish
    • 2 x large (blue) fish
    • 1 x star fish (blue)
    • 3 x Salmon (epic purple)
    • 2 x Trout (epic purple)
    • 1 x Bass (epic purple)
    • 3 x small kelp (green I think)
    • 1 x medium/large kelp (blue)
    These items can be placed in ones home, traded or sold in your Guild Stores.

PC - EU (Main) & PC - NA
  • I_killed_Vivec
    I_killed_Vivec
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    There have been rumours about certain fish - that you can only catch them with the "alternative" bait for the water type. I remember trying to catch a green sea fish (can't remember the area) that was much, much rarer than the blue one, so much so that people were coming onto this forum to ask if it was real. Someone suggested that it could only be caught using chub, not worms. I gave it a try with chub but eventually caught it, long after I'd run out of chub, with a lowly worm :)

The special fish in Wrothgar is only caught at night, south west of Morkul stronghold. There's a female orc on the shore who tells you about it, but I don't think you need to talk to her to catch it.
  • Tai-Chi
    Tai-Chi
    ✭✭✭✭
    There have been rumours about certain fish - that you can only catch them with the "alternative" bait for the water type. I remember trying to catch a green sea fish (can't remember the area) that was much, much rarer than the blue one, so much so that people were coming onto this forum to ask if it was real. Someone suggested that it could only be caught using chub, not worms. I gave it a try with chub but eventually caught it, long after I'd run out of chub, with a lowly worm :)

The special fish in Wrothgar is only caught at night, south west of Morkul stronghold. There's a female orc on the shore who tells you about it, but I don't think you need to talk to her to catch it.

That is fantastic! I will now be able to pinpoint the location when I start fishing in Wrothgar.

My Main Crafter (the budding Angler) spent many months in Wrothgar and levelled from V14 to V16 there. She knows the area extremely well.

Do you know anything about Old Man Car in Deshaan? Some players claim that he does not exist but that cannot be so because otherwise we would not have any Master Anglers.

So far I have been using only the lowly bait; the fish seem to take to it just fine. :)

PC - EU (Main) & PC - NA
  • I_killed_Vivec
    I_killed_Vivec
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

That is fantastic! I will now be able to pinpoint the location when I start fishing in Wrothgar.

My Main Crafter (the budding Angler) spent many months in Wrothgar and levelled from V14 to V16 there. She knows the area extremely well.

Do you know anything about Old Man Car in Deshaan? Some players claim that he does not exist but that cannot be so because otherwise we would not have any Master Anglers.

So far I have been using only the lowly bait; the fish seem to take to it just fine. :)

I have a character who is a Master Angler, so all the fish exist. I don' t remember having a problem in Deshaan, but fishing is random...

On the plus side, if you don't catch a rare fish then you get a chance at fish roe!
  • Tai-Chi
    Tai-Chi
    ✭✭✭✭

I have a character who is a Master Angler, so all the fish exist. I don' t remember having a problem in Deshaan, but fishing is random...

On the plus side, if you don't catch a rare fish then you get a chance at fish roe!

My Crafter caught the CRAB-SLAUGHTER-CRANE on her first attempt - with the first worm - would you believe!

THE EXACT CIRCUMSTANCES
    • My crafter just happened to be passing the spot where the Chief's wife is fishing. It was dusk - therefore ideal conditions.
    • My Crafter spoke to her. She only asked about fish and fishing. She did not enquire into the woman's marriage and her relationship with her husband.
    • My crafter believed eveything the Chief's wife said about the mudcrab, crane and slaughterfish. She did not doubt her for one second.
    Crafter then looked for the nearest fishing spot. She found one just a few yards NE along the coast. It was almost dark now. When she looked back, the Chief's wife was not by her boat anymore.

She cast in her line - worm on end - and almost immediately a fish took the bait. The achievement flashed up. I do not remember whether my crafter actually pulled up the line or not. It all happened so quickly.

Looking back, my crafter could see the chief's wife returning to her spot by the boat.

So, whether the above was just darn good luck or RNG being favourable for once, I do not know. I will test it on my other toons at some stage, to see whether the results are the same.

Anyway, thanks again for your help and advice. :)
    PC - EU (Main) & PC - NA