Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

New Player just a few question please

RAYVORN
RAYVORN
✭✭✭
So I am an old MMO vet so don't have to dumb it down to much for me hopefully but zero experience with ESO/Elder scrolls in general.

I am going to duo with the wife and she is a big caster/healer player. She doesn't like melee dps/tanking. I like Range (bow normally) and tanking. What is a good combo to setup together for new players?

For me I plan to main a tank but switch to DPS. Right now I have an imperial dragonknight (level 4 ..so like nothing yet) but I feel that the race choice is great for tanking but going to be lacking if I choose to DPS as a caster or bow dealer. Is there a race that is above average as a tank and atleast one style of dps for Dragon knight? I have no intent to ever heal on my character on any class (minus self heals).

If I had access to any crown items/ect, what would be keys to purchase for a new character that are pretty helpful (I have ESO+ for us both).

Is it possible to play a tank high end and also be able to be good/useful at PVP.

Lastly, what is the best class for bow users? I have heard that its just not a good idea to main a bow user. That you have to also use some type of melee weapon. If that is just for buffs..I am ok with that but if that means I have to switch to be a melee over using a bow, I think I would rather just play a casters. I enjoy range DPS only..if I want to main a tank and switch to a useful range DPS as a Imperial Dragon knight, what would you suggest?

Thats it for now:P

Thanks.
  • RavenSworn
    RavenSworn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    RAYVORN wrote: »
    So I am an old MMO vet so don't have to dumb it down to much for me hopefully but zero experience with ESO/Elder scrolls in general.

I am going to duo with the wife and she is a big caster/healer player. She doesn't like melee dps/tanking. I like Range (bow normally) and tanking. What is a good combo to setup together for new players?

I Levelled my sorcerer healer/dps with a buddy of mine who played a Templar melee dps. It is possible to have both ranged or both melee but the best combination imo is when one of the players are range while the other be melee. It's the most solid setup for levelling.

For me I plan to main a tank but switch to DPS. Right now I have an imperial dragonknight (level 4 ..so like nothing yet) but I feel that the race choice is great for tanking but going to be lacking if I choose to DPS as a caster or bow dealer. Is there a race that is above average as a tank and atleast one style of dps for Dragon knight? I have no intent to ever heal on my character on any class (minus self heals).

Imo the Dummer, or Dark elf race would be a solid choice for tank/dps. Honestly though, race is not as important as builds but if you are really wanting to squeeze out the last few bits of numbers, then Dummer or Imperial would be a solid choice for tank/dps

If I had access to any crown items/ect, what would be keys to purchase for a new character that are pretty helpful (I have ESO+ for us both).

Honestly, if you are levelling, the Crown experience potions are the best. The rest such as poisons or horse riding are just means of having QOL faster.

Is it possible to play a tank high end and also be able to be good/useful at PVP.

definitely! The builds will be different however but the beauty of eso is that all you need is the right gear and the right build for the game type you want.

Lastly, what is the best class for bow users? I have heard that its just not a good idea to main a bow user. That you have to also use some type of melee weapon. If that is just for buffs..I am ok with that but if that means I have to switch to be a melee over using a bow, I think I would rather just play a casters. I enjoy range DPS only..if I want to main a tank and switch to a useful range DPS as a Imperial Dragon knight, what would you suggest?

honestly, night blades are the best for bow users right now. It has a complete tool kit for bow users and are much better equipped for range combat. However, a dragon knight tank /dps setup is usually melee rather than ranged. You can however make a magicka based dragon knight tank which then can dps as a caster but... It's not exactly a good setup. A tank uses stamina more for dodging and blocking while a caster dps use magicka.. Having to split your resources means lesser damage on the caster dps side.

Again its all about what you think is best for your team setup, we can always suggest your setup but ultimately, it is your decision.

Thats it for now:P

Thanks.

Edited by RavenSworn on March 7, 2017 4:59AM
    Ingame: RavenSworn, Pc / NA.

Of Wolf and Raven
    Solo / Casual guild for beginners and new players wanting to join the game. Pst me for invite!
  • VonSwaego
    VonSwaego
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I would call this one "answered". RavenSworn pretty much said it all.
  • RAYVORN
    RAYVORN
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the reponse. How are night blades at tanking? If I made a night blade archer and a tank how well would that work together. Honestly guess better question is what tank does well at endgame but is also able to range dps well also without being gimped
  • RavenSworn
    RavenSworn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the reponse. How are night blades at tanking? If I made a night blade archer and a tank how well would that work together. Honestly guess better question is what tank does well at endgame but is also able to range dps well also without being gimped

All classes can tank, dps and heal. When you say endgame, there are multiple endgame and builds that does require different gear, be it trials, maelstrom or just vet dungeons.

A bow can complement a tank build quite well and being a Nightblade having good tools for both bow and tanking, it can work well together. However you have to understand that the bow skill line is underwhelming in terms of aoe as compared to dual wield, doesn't have good complementary sustain skills such as Rally or even critical charge but it does give a good initial aggro pull with bombard or Venom spray.

A bow though will help with dps numbers, though not as good as magicka based caster/tank.

But a note: if you are not chasing numbers or standing, then any combinations can be made to work. It's just a question of how effective it might be as compared against the other weapon combos. But at the end of the day, you need to know your play style and how effective you can be for your group.

Of Wolf and Raven
    Solo / Casual guild for beginners and new players wanting to join the game. Pst me for invite!
  • RAYVORN
    RAYVORN
    ✭✭✭
    Hope I am not being confusing or maybe I just read wrong raven, but I am not looking to use a bow while tanking. I plan to full on spec Tank and use it for dungeons/trials ect. But I would like to the ability to gear swap and then go full in as a Bow use or Caster. Just something viable also in Dungeons/Trials ect as a dps. I just don't want to gimp one of the specs in doing so because they share something that just doesn't work well together. Is there options to use preset builds? Like other games you can change stats/skills/ability ponts ect when switching roles. Or do I have to respec to do that. Like if points into health as a tank...can I change them to Stamina for DPS or so I have a high hitpoint DPS character thus taking away from my dps.

But I heard trials are the end game for PVE..the hardest content (if not that I am referring to whatever that is).

Which tanks are viable for trials (I am sure they are "can" do it but mean which is preferred) and of those tanks which could have a viable range dps class together with it. Sorry if I am not understanding. I am learning good stuff thou.
  • RavenSworn
    RavenSworn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hope I am not being confusing or maybe I just read wrong raven, but I am not looking to use a bow while tanking. I plan to full on spec Tank and use it for dungeons/trials ect. But I would like to the ability to gear swap and then go full in as a Bow use or Caster. Just something viable also in Dungeons/Trials ect as a dps. I just don't want to gimp one of the specs in doing so because they share something that just doesn't work well together. Is there options to use preset builds? Like other games you can change stats/skills/ability ponts ect when switching roles. Or do I have to respec to do that. Like if points into health as a tank...can I change them to Stamina for DPS or so I have a high hitpoint DPS character thus taking away from my dps.

But I heard trials are the end game for PVE..the hardest content (if not that I am referring to whatever that is).

Which tanks are viable for trials (I am sure they are "can" do it but mean which is preferred) and of those tanks which could have a viable range dps class together with it. Sorry if I am not understanding. I am learning good stuff thou.

Ah I apologise then, I must have read that wrongly then.

As a stamina based tank, you can do it since both the bow and sword and shield uses stamina. However, bow dps is not top dps. Straight and simple. You can pull off good numbers but as dps for trials, it's not really favoured over, say caster dps. There are a lot of differences between some of the choices for morphs of the abilities but its mostly easy to choose since it's either stamina or magicka.

Stat wise, you can put all points into stamina and just enchant health into your gear. That way, you won't miss out too much on health since there is an optimal number for health and it doesn't require points into health.

Preset builds can be done with addons but you can always use pen and paper :wink:

Trials are the endgame for group pve. Maelstrom is the endgame for solo pve. Emperor is the endgame for PvP. If you are a hard-core casual like me, then vet dungeons are the endgame (don't judge me!) Endgame tanks are almost exclusively dragon knights. This is because DKs have the best tools for tanking. But since you say you do want an archer for the dps side of the character... Then night blades can make adequate tanks as well.

Of Wolf and Raven
  • Shunravi
    Shunravi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Because of the cc bow has, back baring it is not the worst thing you could do either...
    This one has an eloquent and well thought out response to tha... Ooh sweetroll!
  • RAYVORN
    RAYVORN
    ✭✭✭
    Shunravi wrote: »
    Because of the cc bow has, back baring it is not the worst thing you could do either...

What is Back baring?

Also so what I am getting basically that the only way to be good at DPS and Tanks for Trials is pure melee:(

I'm just going to level as a tank for now and figure it out I guess.
  • Shunravi
    Shunravi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

What is Back baring?

Also so what I am getting basically that the only way to be good at DPS and Tanks for Trials is pure melee:(

I'm just going to level as a tank for now and figure it out I guess.

It has to do with weapon swapping. Other related terms would be 'offbar' and 'secondary weapon'. For certain builds a specific weapon is preferred for any given task, such as a shield for tanking. At level 15 you get the option to equip a second weapon with a completely different ability bar (mentioning because im not sure how aware you are of it :) ) and the ability to switch between them at any time.

What i am referring to is the tendency for one of these weapons to be your primary ability bar and weapon set for your build. The other weapon would then be your secondary, or back bar.

So say you want to tank. Your primary would be sword and shield with ascociated abilities, but for you secondary you could have a bar with a different weapon that gives you buffs or heals over time or cc abilities. Or you could have another shield, its up to you. In the case of bow skills, there are two, maybe three, you may want to put on your back bar. One would be the scatter shot morph; draining shot. It is a knock back, a disorient, and a heal after the disorient ends. Another may be the arrow spray morph; bombard. It is an aoe immobilize, that snares after the imobalize ends. This skill can be used to cc enemies, and draw initial agro. Another consideration is the poison arrow morph; venom arrow. This skill is a ranged interrupt. It can be a useful thing if you need to stop something. However those are just considerations for tanking.

For high stamina dps, it is actually quite common to have a bow on the back bar. This is to take advantage of the bows dots; poison injection, and endless hail. The bow may not be primary in stamina melee dps, but it certainly is a good part of what you do.
    Edited by Shunravi on March 7, 2017 11:20PM
  • Shunravi
    Shunravi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    What im saying is while you may not want to use bow when tanking, there are considerations to make in how it may be useful in that role.

There are also mage tank builds that you may want to look into. Bow may not be top dog, but if you are ok with casters, there are other options.
  • RAYVORN
    RAYVORN
    ✭✭✭
    Disregard, changed my mind about playing this type of character.
  • Shunravi
    Shunravi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

i apologize if i said anything that turned you off it
  • RAYVORN
    RAYVORN
    ✭✭✭

No not at all:) Just after actually playing the game I realized I didn't enjoy the sword and board feel. Felt uncomfortable for me and looking for something little more fluid gameplay wise. Been in full testing mode the last few days.
  • Shunravi
    Shunravi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

No not at all:) Just after actually playing the game I realized I didn't enjoy the sword and board feel. Felt uncomfortable for me and looking for something little more fluid gameplay wise. Been in full testing mode the last few days.

Ah, well best of fun experimenting, you never know what you might find that fits you :) .