Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Is there a list of motifs and achievements that effect your master writs drop rate?

AtraisMachina
AtraisMachina
✭✭✭
Im getting multiple characters lvled for crafting writs and ive been doing research and reading motifs and doing achievements on them. But I cant seem to find a list or a source that says the EXACT things that I need to increase my master writ rate.(Example what motifs and achievements effect the drops)

All I can find is stuff that says vague things like "high lvl motifs" and what not.
Edited by AtraisMachina on March 3, 2017 11:40PM
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The following are educated guesses:

For Alchemy and Enchanting just have all the Achievements for those two crafts.

Not sure about Provisioning, but I would guess Recipes would have some impact on that, but again, have all the Achievements.

For Gear, know all the Traits, and the more Motifs you know, the better your chances.

Now, to Reality:

Even then, RNG has a huge impact on this. Some players get a decent amount of Master Writs from less skilled or achieved characters. Some, like me, use very skilled, completely achieved and know most of the motif characters and get little in the way of Master Writs.

So, it's what you know, and how lucky you are and how much favor the RNG Goddess has for you.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because Zos never gave us a list.

All we know is what for sure isn't counted - the 8 basic racial styles and crown store exclusive motifs.
    Lone Wolf HelpFor the solo players who know, sometimes you just need a hand.PC | NA | AD-DC-EP | Discord
  • AtraisMachina
    AtraisMachina
    ✭✭✭
    MissBizz wrote: »

All we know is what for sure isn't counted - the 8 basic racial styles and crown store exclusive motifs.

Ok so the blue motifs dont do anything and frostcaster and harlequin dont do anything
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    Stupid question, do we know if this includes the new achievements for known blueprints/harvested building materials?
    Not sure about Provisioning, but I would guess Recipes would have some impact on that, but again, have all the Achievements.
    I thought ZOS said it was based on the number of purple/gold recipes you know? or was that player speculation which got Chinese whispered into being from ZOS?

@Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • AtraisMachina
    AtraisMachina
    ✭✭✭

So what about the holiday motifs?

• Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

From my understanding they count.
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Turelus

I have no idea, but I did get a Provisioning Writ today on a character that knows no Homestead stuff at all (and knows a significant amount, maybe 300 to 350, of provisioning recipes most of the missing ones being Blues and Purples), and my Master Crafter who probably has 50 to 80 homestead recipes, has never gotten one. And she knows every provisioning recipe.

So, it's all down to RNG really. All the Crafting Knowledge seems to do is get you closer to fat part of the curve. But my curve is thin and straggly with mangy hair, fleas and ticks.
    Edited by Nestor on March 3, 2017 11:55PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wouldn't it be nice is ZOS released a system with clear information on how it worked. :disappointed:

Thanks though, I'll stop hijacking the thread now and go back to being grumpy in the corner.
  • MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

They count.
    Turelus wrote: »
    Stupid question, do we know if this includes the new achievements for known blueprints/harvested building materials?
    I thought ZOS said it was based on the number of purple/gold recipes you know? or was that player speculation which got Chinese whispered into being from ZOS?

Well, check the master writ guide official forum thread. I believe Jessica mentioned to new furniture crafting stuff doesn't matter (yet)

Yes it's purple/gold. Green and blue recipes don't matter.

There's been a variety of forum posts from Zos containing (most) of this information. The only one I'm iffy on is Jessica mentioning homestead stuff doesn't count (yet).
    Lone Wolf HelpFor the solo players who know, sometimes you just need a hand.PC | NA | AD-DC-EP | Discord
  • helediron
    helediron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Blue motifs have an achievement so i learned them too - just in case.
    On hiatus. PC,EU,AD - crafting completionist - @helediron 900+ cp, @helestor 1000+ cp, @helestar 800+ cp, @helester 700+ cp - Dragonborn Z Suomikilta, Harrods, Master Crafter. - Blog - Crafthouse: all stations, all munduses, all dummies, open to everyone
  • I_killed_Vivec
    I_killed_Vivec
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I have two master crafters (in that they are both level 50 in all crafts).

What I call my master crafter has learnt all the recipes, gets all the motifs. The other one knows all the basic motifs and all the runes and flowers and some recipes - basically the minimum you need to support top level writs.

Both characters do the top level writs each day.

I've received a total of about twenty (don't start squealing, they are mostly for single figure numbers of vouchers :( ). And they have been split pretty equally between the two. Certainly my less able master crafter has received provisioning writs for recipes she doesn't know and equipment writs for traits and motifs she doesn't know (but my other character does).

I can't say about the impact of your level (though I wouldn't give master crafter writs to anyone who wasn't level 50 in that craft), but from my limited view of the ESO RNG world, the number of recipes, traits and motifs you know doesn't make the slightest bit of a difference.
  • Soella
    Soella
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't have a link, but during PTS ZOS gave direct answer (I think it can be found on forums):
    Equipment writs: number of purple/gold motives excluding crown store ones and number of trait learned.
    Provisioning : number of blue and higher recipes known
    Enchanting and alchemy: number of plants/runes known.
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe it's the number of COMPLETE motifs known, as in every single piece of armor and weapon can be made in that style.

So having every single motif known except for daggers in everything is the same as knowing nothing.

This is from what I've gathered.

Also heard it more changes the values of master writs more than how often they drop.

This is all conjecture however.
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Bel_Shezzar

A brief response from you would be extremely helpful if you're able to take 5 minutes out of your time.

Not only for this specific thread ... players ask in zone and guild chat about this issue frequently ...

Edited by Taleof2Cities on March 4, 2017 7:12PM
  • Soella
    Soella
    ✭✭✭✭
    Also heard it more changes the values of master writs more than how often they drop.

Doing writs on one master crafter, 2 crafters with a lot of traits but no motives to talk about, 6 generic crafters.

I definitely have move writs on master crafter (I'd say once in 2-3 days vs 2-3 from start of homestead on generic crafters), but writs with large (50+) number of writs got mostly on generic crafters, proportionally to number of writs.

Though I definitely don't have enough statistics to prove anything.
  • elijafire
    elijafire
    ✭✭✭

This, I looked everywhere for a definitive but basically all I am doing is grabbing all the low hanging fruit achievements then spraying and praying.

If anyone data mines something solid holla.
  • MilwaukeeScott
    MilwaukeeScott
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @MissBizz @Nestor

The frequency of Master Writ invites from standard Writ boxes is based on the overall associated tradeskill mastery possessed by the character.

Blacksmithing, Clothing, and Woodworking Master Writ drop rates are based on trait research and motif knowledge. Excluding Crown Store Exclusive Motifs

Alchemy is based on reagent effect knowledge.

Enchanting is based on known translations.

Provisioning is based on recipe knowledge. (Purple and Gold)

From Homestead Natch Potes:

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/323579/playstation-4-patch-notes-v1-21#latest
    PS4NA

All I see is hate and rage from people who don't understand how to.....
  • MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @MissBizz @Nestor

The frequency of Master Writ invites from standard Writ boxes is based on the overall associated tradeskill mastery possessed by the character.

Blacksmithing, Clothing, and Woodworking Master Writ drop rates are based on trait research and motif knowledge. Excluding Crown Store Exclusive Motifs

Alchemy is based on reagent effect knowledge.

Enchanting is based on known translations.

Provisioning is based on recipe knowledge. (Purple and Gold)

From Homestead Natch Potes:

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/323579/playstation-4-patch-notes-v1-21#latest

@MilwaukeeScott This thread is pretty pretty old... you also lacked to mention that achevements help as well. (Which is listed in those very patch notes you linked). The OP (a year ago) was looking for specifics, exactly which motifs etc.
  • MilwaukeeScott
    MilwaukeeScott
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The OP (a year ago) was looking for specifics, exactly which motifs etc.

PS4NA

All I see is hate and rage from people who don't understand how to.....
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I believe it's the number of COMPLETE motifs known, as in every single piece of armor and weapon can be made in that style.

So having every single motif known except for daggers in everything is the same as knowing nothing.

Concur with this; I recall reading it on the forums. I'll see if I can dig up the post.
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works

How to turn off the sustainability features (screen dimming, fps cap) on PC
  • ihazzit
    ihazzit
    ✭✭✭
    Now, to Reality:

Even then, RNG has a huge impact on this. Some players get a decent amount of Master Writs from less skilled or achieved characters. Some, like me, use very skilled, completely achieved and know most of the motif characters and get little in the way of Master Writs.

That has been my experience. I have a character specifically used for crafting and learning everything related to crafting and has been level 50 on all crafting areas for about 9 months and I didn't get a master writ on that character until the end of December. I have an alt I use for questing, overland content, etc. that is lvl 50 for all crafting except provisioning and has about 10% traits researched and a few motifs and that character got 2 master writs before my main crafter got his first one. I've received two large writs, one on each character, a 94 and a 111, and to this day the crafting character has still received less master writs.
    If you are angry about anything in this game you are only punishing yourself.