Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Level up on back up skill bar?

wesparker25
wesparker25
Soul Shriven
My question is simple. Do the skills on the back up bar level up even if I don't switch to it during a fight? Or do I have to use the back up bar for those skills to gain the XP?

Best Answers

• smacx250
    smacx250
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only things associated with the active bar will gain XP. For example, switch to your back bar before getting quest turn-in XP to help level them if you aren't using them in combat.
    Answer ✓
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you slot a skill that has a passive and swap to a bar that does not have that skill slotted, you almost always lose the passive buff. Not always, as in the case of timed buffs, those can, but not always, be persistent on a bar swap.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

Answer ✓
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The skills have to be on the bar for the mob kill or the quest turn in to level up.

If your not in the habit of bar swapping in the middle of the fight, then do the quest on the main bar, and swap to it when turning in the quest.

If your just grinding, then make sure you use the one bar for some mob kills and other bar for other mob kills.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• wesparker25
    wesparker25
    Soul Shriven
    Nestor wrote: »
    The skills have to be on the bar for the mob kill or the quest turn in to level up.

If your not in the habit of bar swapping in the middle of the fight, then do the quest on the main bar, and swap to it when turning in the quest.

If your just grinding, then make sure you use the one bar for some mob kills and other bar for other mob kills.

Does this also go for some of the skills that have passive for slotting them? Such as Expert hunter?
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »

Does this also go for some of the skills that have passive for slotting them? Such as Expert hunter?
    All skills on front bar then you earn xp count inclusive ultimate.
    You can also put restoration staff or shield skills on other weapons bar, they would not be usable but you will level them.

Farming dolmens are nice for this as in an large group you don't need many skills or do serious damage so you can just fill the bar with various skills. Swapping skills before delivering quests is also smart.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.