Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Voice chat not working since June 2016 (Xbox one)

PlaceboSoul
PlaceboSoul
✭✭✭
Ok, I've exhausted all troubleshooting from Xbox live and ZOS, limited as it may have been. Sadly as far as support goes, 3/4 of my tickets get answered with a cut/paste response that shows clearly they didn't read the ticket, as the solution is not even for my problem. It must be their policy to not fully read tickets.

Anyway, I don't mean to sound cynical, but after 6+ months with extremely limited "support" well, it's frustrating.

The problem is that people in voice chat can hear me, but I cannot hear anything from others. I see the chat indicators, so I know someone is talking, but no audio.
During troubleshooting, I was told to create another account to test. The results were...odd. On the second account, I have the opposite problem, I can hear everyone else, but no one can hear me. Switch back to main account, back to not hearing others again, but they can hear me.

So, I've tried everything I can think of to fix it, including Xbox support, ZOS support(giggle), and everything I've found on Google.
- full hard reset of console, both while in game and out
- Full reset of modem, new modem, all appropriate ports open/forwarded, now hard wired connection
- Reset wireless headset config, bought new headset $350(ouch), no fix to issue
- Bought new Xbox one S
- Set all settings to everyone or public in privacy settings
- Checked all settings in the Xbox settings menu, not a lot related to audio, but everything appears setup correctly
- Xbox one S has no Kinect port dedicated, so Kinect is not set up
- Switched to a new isp, modem setup ports open/forwarded, hard wired connection 175mbps dl speed
- Tried hard resetting new console many times now
- Did the controller off/on didn't fix it
- Started party chat, back into game, exited party chat, no fix
- Controller software is updated (shouldn't matter for wireless headset, but done)

So, I may have forgotten some things I've tried, but that's most of it. If anyone has any idea, no matter how strange, I'd appreciate the assistance. Without communication, this game is hard to play other than solo. ZOS's best advice was use text chat, but the majority of people I've noted have it turned off.

Any help, I'd be grateful, thanks.
Edited by PlaceboSoul on March 1, 2017 4:39PM
PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
  • Violynne
    Violynne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The one thing you didn't seem to test out were your headphones. Since you're using wireless, is the assumption to be made they're set up correctly? Some accessories come with apps to change settings, so perhaps there's something overlooked?

The notion you're receiving on one account, but not the other, tells me this isn't a software issue of the game, but of the headphones.

It could very well be possible you have a short, because the game is actively stating you should be hearing something, but do not. This is evident when the other account allows you to hear, but not speak.

Sadly, I'm not familiar enough with wireless headsets to determine if there's a latency issue (the time between sending/receiving sounds), but my gut tells me there's something amiss with the headset.

I'm not sure if you have access to another headset (the one which came with the XB1 original probably died like millions of others, as if Microsoft literally put a "death clock" in them), but this will help remove any possible potential the WiFi headset is at fault.
  • PlaceboSoul
    PlaceboSoul
    ✭✭✭
    @Violynne thanks for the response. Yup one of the things I forgot to throw in my list :)
    I troubleshooted the headset extensively, also still had the craptastic Xbox headset still in plastic, plugged it into controller and had the same issues. Also, it shouldn't be a short, the new headset is brand new, just picked it up in January.

Also, what leads me to think it is something in game, my chat works in party and Xbox live, and other games. It's only in eso I have this weird issue. Also, I originally had working chat, I have been playing since release. The chat just suddenly started doing this last June.

On that note though, thanks for the suggestion, anyone else? Even weird stuff, I'll try anything to get this working.
  • icontrive
    icontrive
    ✭✭✭
    Have you tried linking your account to a friends house with their Xbox and internet? If chat still doesn't work on your account but does work on theirs, that could confirm it has something to do with your account.
  • PlaceboSoul
    PlaceboSoul
    ✭✭✭
    @icontrive hey, thanks for posting your suggestion. I'm currently working on this one, one of the only things I have not tried actually. I'm not really a friend sort of guy, I am autistic with aspd and a few other alphabet things :)

I'm pretty sure too it's something weird with my account, seeing as it acts differently on my secondary account. Just hard for me to test as I don't really have another person to try this method with. My gf is the only person I really interact with really, and she lives with me, and isn't a gamer.

I've been wracking my brain for almost 9 months on this. the whole thing started the first time I logged in after the summer update. So something between my account and that update, I don't know.

Anyway, I'm going to try to figure out how to test it with a friend, maybe someone I know knows someone or something like that. I'll have to think about it.

Any other ideas of things to try in the meantime I'd appreciate, thanks buds.
  • Violynne
    Violynne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, since you pretty much exhausted your entire list of possible suspects, this does leave the game.

I also see this issue only started after an update as well.

Sounds to me like you may have no choice but to reinstall the game. If something barfed during the update, chances are it's stuck.

I don't know if it's possible to install and update solo.

Regardless, if a reinstall is indeed necessary, that's going to take a while. :disappointed:

Hope you can find an easy solution, but your list pretty much sums up there's not much else to look at.

There is one thing you might try, just because at this point, there's really not much else: go through the sound settings and just play with volumes to see if they have any weird side effects in the headset. You may want to scroll though the settings one more time as well, even though you probably have 100 times.

But it's looking like your issue was the patch.
  • PlaceboSoul
    PlaceboSoul
    ✭✭✭
    @Violynne yuppers, just did a full reinstall of the game last night, and sadly it didn't work.

I have messed with the sound volumes, and especially the ones in the headset itself, but I'll do it again anyway, thoroughness can sometimes win out in the end.

Otherwise I think I may just be stuck with this problem, maybe another update in the future will stealth fix my issue, I hope. Until then I've parked most of my characters, started maining a pet sorc, seems to be most effective solo in the majority of circumstances.

Hopefully it resolves itself in a patch, before I get bored or frustrated again. Might take a break again anyway for mass effect andromeda.

Thanks for the suggestions :)
  • KiraRanee
    KiraRanee
    ✭✭
    Did this ever get fixed or solved?