Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Archer

loris.perenob16_ESO
loris.perenob16_ESO
Soul Shriven
Hi all, I'm a returning player but I played only during beta, then I'm practically a new player.
I like the idea of an archer, but I read somewhere that the bow is not a really optimal weapon.
I'm interested in doing both PvP and PvE, a bow build can be good in both or is bad in group?
  • loris.perenob16_ESO
    loris.perenob16_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    Also, I chose wood elf and Nightblade, is it the best choice or there's a better choice? (expecially for the class)
  • Pops_ND_Irish
    Pops_ND_Irish
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My opinion, any weapon can be played. Just depends on how YOU play not how others play it !
  • SunnyBunny
    SunnyBunny
    ✭✭✭
    I have used bows on 2 of my characters as a secondary weapon. I don't have an issue with it and it works well enough for a distance weapon. I say give it a try.
    Lone Wolf Help ~ Royal Bank of Tamriel ~ Black Market Wares

I Know I'm Lost

*Ernestina - Imperial Temp
    *Ennus - Bosmer Sorc
    *Greavy - Orc DK
    *Somniate - Ra Gada NB
    *Cilano - Imperial DK
    *Ba'Raka - Khajiit Warden
    *Bird In Hand - Argonian Templar
  • Madness1
    Madness1
    ✭✭✭
    Ok first off let me just say... stop thinking about an optimal build. This game DOES have META's but they're not required to actually play, complete, and enjoy the game. The META's are only their for people who like to chase score boards, and maybe for PVP where you're forced to meet a certain criteria.

So now, to your question.
    Q - "I'm interested in doing both PvP and PvE, a bow build can be good in both or is bad in group?"
    A - The bow is a fantastic weapon, a great mix of AOE, and DOT, CC, Crit, and range. If you think the bow is weak at DPS for a secondary weapon, you're a fool. Now then for PVP, I can't tell you how many times I've seen, and have been 1/2 shotted by a good DPS NB archer with Snipe and/or Poison Arrow (and their morphs), yes it's annoying as hell to deal with, but it is powerful at range. Now then at PVE you have Volley and Arrow Spray (I think it's called), both of which are great for group content fighting groups of mobs. For builds I'd check online, their are many around but I know a lot of people like what Deltia and Sypher are doing with their builds.

Now that I've gotten that out of the way, the most important thing for you to do is to:
    1) Learn to play. This includes, but not limited to skill weaving, block casting, skill rotation, timing, etc.
    2) Learn your role. This includes tanking, dpsing, healing, and if you choose, a mix of them. Though it's worth noting the 3 mentioned earlier is unfortunately the META and is still something this and other MMOs are struggling with.
    Edited by Madness1 on March 1, 2017 4:06PM
    What is the color of night?
    What is the color of the fox?
    Hail Sithis.
  • erliesc
    erliesc
    ✭✭✭
    I use an electric stick as a backup weapon for my nightblade wood elf...when he runs out of stamina...he always has some magika for the stick...plus it doesn't use stamina that I know of. Even with no magika it does something.

The bow is tiring to use...but can be very effective. Light duty I use the stick...heavy duty start with the bow.
    I know nutting....
  • Soella
    Soella
    ✭✭✭✭
    erliesc wrote: »
    I use an electric stick as a backup weapon for my nightblade wood elf...when he runs out of stamina...he always has some magika for the stick...plus it doesn't use stamina that I know of. Even with no magika it does something.

The bow is tiring to use...but can be very effective. Light duty I use the stick...heavy duty start with the bow.

Just in case - are your aware that
    1) your bow damage scales with your max stamina and staff damage with max magicka, so it is very inefficient to mix them
    and 2) hard attack with bow returns you stamina?