The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Have you ever deleted a character and a second later that characters name is unavailable?

Kaide
Kaide
✭✭✭
Have you ever deleted a character and a second later that characters name is unavailable? And no one online is using that characters name...

I deleted 2 characters with very unique (special characters) and long names on an old account to create characters with those names on a (new) different account. I wanted to create 2 characters with the same name....the only difference is one special character is " í " and the other special character is " ì " . The first character I deleted....I had no problems creating his name on the new account. The second character though....when I deleted him with the " ì " and tried to create him literally 1 second later on the new account the name was taken. The odds of someone creating that character name with that special character somewhere in the world has to be a million to one. I logged in and tried to whisper the character and no one online has that name. Does the system ever take a while for the name to become available? Have you ever had to wait for a name you deleted to become available?
Edited by Kaide on February 28, 2017 11:38PM
  • Phica_Lovic
    Phica_Lovic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kaide wrote: »
    . Does the system ever take a while for the name to become available? Have you ever had to wait for a name you deleted to become available?

Yes, this 100%.

I don't know how long it takes for the character to be officially "deleted" but yes - there is a waiting period for the system to "catch up".
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

Phica -Max CP - Lvl 50 Argonian Sorc Healer since launch

• Daraugh
    Daraugh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, and it's never become available. I opened a ticket and was told there was a character by that name. It was an alt of mine on EU. No player had my name, you can search via the ignore tool. Type in the name, it says account not found. It's a very odd and specific name, so the odds of someone else choosing it are vanishingly small. I haven't tried again lately, but it's so frustrating to not be able to use my name when no one else has it and it's likely just a bug. When I had deleted my toon, there was a hiccup in internet service, something happened so the deletion wasn't clean and now my name is gone.
    May all beings have happiness
    May they be free from suffering
    May they find the joy that has never known suffering
    May they be free from attachment and hatred
  • ZiRM
    ZiRM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've deleted characters to reroll them and never had a problem getting the name back instantly. Lucky I guess..
    Want to become Vampire? 5k @ZiRM in game.
    ESO Server Status. ( ^_^)o自自o(^_^ ) SkåL!!!!!
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZiRM wrote: »
    I've deleted characters to reroll them and never had a problem getting the name back instantly. Lucky I guess..

Probably because it was on the same account. I think the OP's problem is that he was deleting a character on one account and recreating it on another, and I suspect that there is a time differential between re-using a name on the same account and it becoming available on a different account - precisely to protect someone from deleting a character and losing the name before he has had a chance to finalise the new character.

Of course, the use of special characters may also be a factor. It's possible that they were permitted initially, but are no longer usable on character creation. That would need to be checked with support.

That possible complication aside, bear in mind with ESO that you only have to make a slight change to a name - for example with a suffix - for it to be accepted if there is a conflict with just the basic name. So, for example, if Fred is taken, try Fred chops wood, and if that is taken try Fred picks daisies - those are the sort of minor changes that can still enable you to use the initial name but with a distinguishing suffix.
  • Tryxus
    Tryxus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I rerolled my main from Sorc to NB on EU with the same name, no problems here

Name did get taken on NA tho :( Not playing there anymore btw
    Edited by Tryxus on March 1, 2017 12:06AM
    "The Oak's Promise: stand strong, stay true, and shelter all"
    Tryxus of the Undying Song - Warden - PC/EU/DC