The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Cyrodiil Performance and a Solution

Vercingetorix
Vercingetorix
✭✭✭✭✭
I’ve seen a smattering of players claim that performance in Cyrodiil is better due to the lack of CP. Reports of improved performance are outliers. They are most likely in low-pop campaigns and/or avoiding the major fights (which is fine, but can't be used to describe the entire PvP experience). I can assure you that Cyrodiil performance has actually WORSENED this week (especially on XB1 and PS4). This week, however, has highlighted the real issue with Cyrodiil and it’s not CP, it’s zergs. The solution to the zerging problem is to de-incentivize it.

I propose “battle scaling” at keeps and resources when attacked by an excessive amount of players (this number can be determined by ZoS based on heat maps and crash reports). This scaling will give the attacked keep or resource the following bonuses*:
- Walls/doors gain SIGNIFICANT defenses (i.e. you would need 20 siege minimum and several repairs/replacement siege just to bust each wall/door down)
- Guards gain additional shields, armor, damage, and have reduced re-spawn timers
- AP gains for the enemy from taking the resource/keep as well as the enemy killing any players within the resource/keep’s radius are SIGNIFICANTLY reduced
(yes, this means even solo players attacking other players at a zerged keep/resource, too)

*The penalties for walls, doors, and guards are slightly less severe if their corresponding resources are not owned by the attacked keep.

This solution will push for smaller, more organized groups of players and essentially dissuade players from having the entire faction knocking at a single keep’s door. I would like to hear some feedback from the community on this and if you feel this is a good solution (or at least a good start), please feel free to share this post.
“Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
  • cjthibs
    cjthibs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok. First off, the populations in PvP right now are higher than they've been in a long time on PC...and the lag has become exponentially better.

I ran with a group of guildies (between 8 and 10 people in the US and also playing from Europe) last night for a significant amount of time (several hours) in a 3-way pop-locked campaign full of zergs, emperor pushes, scroll grabs, you name it...and guess what. Every one of us experienced less lag.

My ping was a steady 60ms the entire time. No lag spikes whatsoever. Everyone else in the group reported the same.

What I did notice is that there were graphical slowdowns. Which I imagine will be 100 times worse on that potato of hardware called the Xbox.
    Edited by cjthibs on February 28, 2017 7:33PM
  • bulbousb16_ESO
    bulbousb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok, wait, so the more people attacking a structure, the more damage it needs to be destroyed? I'm sorry, but this is just a non-starter.
    Lethal zergling
  • Vercingetorix
    Vercingetorix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok, wait, so the more people attacking a structure, the more damage it needs to be destroyed? I'm sorry, but this is just a non-starter.

The concept is actually quite logical. If a fortress is attacked by a large force, then it prepares accordingly and puts more resources into fighting against it. If the enemy denies access to additional resources (farm, mine, lumbermill), then the fight is easier for the enemy, but not a guaranteed victory. This solution removes the problem of having 20+ simultaneous Destro-Ults being ran towards you and crashing you out of the game.
    “Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
  • cjthibs
    cjthibs
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The concept is actually quite logical. If a fortress is attacked by a large force, then it prepares accordingly and puts more resources into fighting against it. If the enemy denies access to additional resources (farm, mine, lumbermill), then the fight is easier for the enemy, but not a guaranteed victory. This solution removes the problem of having 20+ simultaneous Destro-Ults being ran towards you and crashing you out of the game.

So your solution to facing an overwhelming force is to have the game bend the laws of reality to help you win?

How about..I dunno...you are out-coordinated by a superior force you should just...lose?
  • Sigtric
    Sigtric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Weeee more arm chair developing with out a complete understanding of what is happening.

Edited by Sigtric on February 28, 2017 7:45PM

Stormproof: Vibeke - 50 EP mDragonknight | Savi Dreloth - 50 EP Magsorc | Sadi Dreloth - 50 EP Magblade | Sigtric Stormaxe - 50 EP Stamsorc | Valora Dreloth - 50 EP Magplar | Sigtric the Unbearable 50 EP Stam Warden
    Scrub: Chews-on-Beavers - 50 EP DK Tank | Vera the Wild - 50 EP magicka Warden | Sigtric the Axe - 50 EP Dragonknight Crafter | Sigtric the Blade - 50 EP Lost Nightblade | Sigtric the Savage - 50 EP magicka Templar | Vibeka Shadowblade - 50 Ep Stealthy Ganky Nightblade |

Show Me Your Dunmer
    [/center]
  • IcyDeadPeople
    IcyDeadPeople
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I suspect it will never be possible to de-incentivize the big zerg guild groups in ESO, because they will almost always win against disorganized random players. It's a fundamental part of how the game is designed.

Even if you put a limit on groups, for example some have suggested reducing max from 24 to 12 players, etc - this would not have much impact on PC because the groups are run via third party voice comms, not in-game voice/text.

If you are proposing reduced AP and increased wall health at some crazy high level, for example 200 players in the vicinity, I think it would end up just dragging out those kind of battles to the benefit of the defenders and possibly straining the server with added calculations as people flow in and out of the area. Organized groups tend to research and exploit mechanics, so for example they might monitor the limit and move some players away to increase AP or reduce wall health, etc.
  • Vercingetorix
    Vercingetorix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    cjthibs wrote: »
    Ok. First off, the populations in PvP right now are higher than they've been in a long time on PC...and the lag has become exponentially better.

I ran with a group of guildies (between 8 and 10 people in the US and also playing from Europe) last night for a significant amount of time (several hours) in a 3-way pop-locked campaign full of zergs, emperor pushes, scroll grabs, you name it...and guess what. Every one of us experienced less lag.

My ping was a steady 60ms the entire time. No lag spikes whatsoever. Everyone else in the group reported the same.

What I did notice is that there were graphical slowdowns. Which I imagine will be 100 times worse on that potato of hardware called the Xbox.

Again, anecdotal evidence is not a summation of the Cyrodiil experience - it is an outlier. I can argue that my guild of 60+, broken down into 3 smaller groups had intense lag the entire 6 hours we were on for the night. All of us, save for 4 people, were dc'd at least once during the night. Each time we were met with long loading screens and about a 15-20 min delay getting back into Cyrodiil. (Keep in mind this was after the supposed "fix" XB1 got on Mon afternoon.)
  • cjthibs
    cjthibs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suspect it will never be possible to de-incentivize the big zerg guild groups in ESO, because they will almost always win against disorganized random players. It's a fundamental part of how the game is designed.

It's not even a game design issue. It's a fundamental reality issue.
    Larger forces defeat smaller forces.

Any kind of game design thing to change this would feel cheap, gimmicky, unnatural, and just plain asinine.
  • rich.magab14a_ESO
    rich.magab14a_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I’ve seen a smattering of players claim that performance in Cyrodiil is better due to the lack of CP. Reports of improved performance are outliers. They are most likely in low-pop campaigns and/or avoiding the major fights (which is fine, but can't be used to describe the entire PvP experience). I can assure you that Cyrodiil performance has actually WORSENED this week (especially on XB1 and PS4). This week, however, has highlighted the real issue with Cyrodiil and it’s not CP, it’s zergs. The solution to the zerging problem is to de-incentivize it.

I propose “battle scaling” at keeps and resources when attacked by an excessive amount of players (this number can be determined by ZoS based on heat maps and crash reports). This scaling will give the attacked keep or resource the following bonuses*:
    - Walls/doors gain SIGNIFICANT defenses (i.e. you would need 20 siege minimum and several repairs/replacement siege just to bust each wall/door down)
    - Guards gain additional shields, armor, damage, and have reduced re-spawn timers
    - AP gains for the enemy from taking the resource/keep as well as the enemy killing any players within the resource/keep’s radius are SIGNIFICANTLY reduced
    (yes, this means even solo players attacking other players at a zerged keep/resource, too)

*The penalties for walls, doors, and guards are slightly less severe if their corresponding resources are not owned by the attacked keep.

This solution will push for smaller, more organized groups of players and essentially dissuade players from having the entire faction knocking at a single keep’s door. I would like to hear some feedback from the community on this and if you feel this is a good solution (or at least a good start), please feel free to share this post.

So your solution for a performance fix is to add another check and strain the server even more? No thank you. Most zergs, excluding the organized kind, zerg because they are looking for a quick fight. So they go to the chalamo or alessia bridge because that's exactly what they will find. Zos needs to stop thinking AP is the main driving force for player behavior and start believing pvp is the driving force for player behavior.Finding faster ways to the traverse the whole map by either increasing mount speed or some other way of fast travel will help. Also getting rid of the ring mechanic for getting emp may also help.
    Like have the emp keeps change at intervals forcing players to play the whole map. But what ever the solution pvp needs, it will not be another check for the server
    Loki Ironheart
    Loki Firespitter
    Gattica!!
  • Lord_Eomer
    Lord_Eomer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

PS4 NA performance is much better with CP disabled..
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So a large group (let's say 40) show up to take a keep. Now the keep gets all these buffs, NPC's get buffs etc...

So now when the 40 equivalent defenders show up they basically get rewarded for having large group of defenders, while the assaulters (who are the ones assuming the majority of the risk here) have to deal with fortified walls and NPC's? No thanks.

And then what if people do what you want them to do? Show up with smaller squads to not have to deal with a fortified structure, and then what? Get rolled by a large defending force when it shows up?

Overly complicated and counter intuitive in my opinion.
  • halkjear
    halkjear
    ✭✭✭
    Max groups of 12 and friendly fire to anyone not in your group. I bet that would spread people out, haha!
  • Vercingetorix
    Vercingetorix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    halkjear wrote: »
    Max groups of 12 and friendly fire to anyone not in your group. I bet that would spread people out, haha!

Sheogorath's undies! Are you mad? Multiple Destro-Ults will become collateral damage! LMFAO
  • Vercingetorix
    Vercingetorix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So your solution for a performance fix is to add another check and strain the server even more? No thank you. Most zergs, excluding the organized kind, zerg because they are looking for a quick fight. So they go to the chalamo or alessia bridge because that's exactly what they will find. Zos needs to stop thinking AP is the main driving force for player behavior and start believing pvp is the driving force for player behavior.Finding faster ways to the traverse the whole map by either increasing mount speed or some other way of fast travel will help. Also getting rid of the ring mechanic for getting emp may also help.
    Like have the emp keeps change at intervals forcing players to play the whole map. But what ever the solution pvp needs, it will not be another check for the server

I like your idea of removing the ring to maintain emperor. I'd also consider amending your solution by adding a condition that emperor status is only achieved while ALL keeps are under your faction's control. This would drive the emperor to move around the map like mad, but I don't think it will de-incentivize zergs at a keep unless you make it incredibly punishing to do so. Also, defenders of a zerged keep do benefit from my solution, but the easy fix to that is to simply not zerg the keep in the first place, lol.
  • Vercingetorix
    Vercingetorix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    danno8 wrote: »
    So a large group (let's say 40) show up to take a keep. Now the keep gets all these buffs, NPC's get buffs etc...

So now when the 40 equivalent defenders show up they basically get rewarded for having large group of defenders, while the assaulters (who are the ones assuming the majority of the risk here) have to deal with fortified walls and NPC's? No thanks.

And then what if people do what you want them to do? Show up with smaller squads to not have to deal with a fortified structure, and then what? Get rolled by a large defending force when it shows up?

Overly complicated and counter intuitive in my opinion.

The defenders can't take advantage of my proposed fix if there isn't a zerg to attack them in the first place. Want to prevent feeding AP to defenders? Don't zerg. That doesn't sound very complicated to me.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The issue with the idea that OP suggests is what is an excessive sized force. The answer is a variable and deters combat as well.

Is 20 players excessive when the keep is defending by 40 players? Probably not. The proposed idea would greatly benefit defending a keep without changing the server performance issue.

Yes, it's good to think of ideas. My point is that Zos doesn't always take our ideas because they have to do their best to find the unintended consequences.

Hopefully they find the info they are looking for in this weeks testing so a solution can be developed and implemented.
  • Vercingetorix
    Vercingetorix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The issue with the idea that OP suggests is what is an excessive sized force. The answer is a variable and deters combat as well.

Is 20 players excessive when the keep is defending by 40 players? Probably not. The proposed idea would greatly benefit defending a keep without changing the server performance issue.

Yes, it's good to think of ideas. My point is that Zos doesn't always take our ideas because they have to do their best to find the unintended consequences.

Hopefully they find the info they are looking for in this weeks testing so a solution can be developed and implemented.

As I told someone else the counterargument that defenders are favored is rendered pointless by the fact that defenders can't take advantage of my solution if there isn't a zerg fighting them in the first place. 40 people can show up to BRK but if there isn't an excessive amount of enemy players attacking the keep then neither side of the fight is favored, just like it is now in the game.
  • parkham
    parkham
    ✭✭✭
    I know nothing about Cyrodiil or PVP or zergs (I know what zerg means now, though). I do know something about computers though. If these "zergs" are the problem, then it's really a simple solution - simple doesn't always mean easy.

If 500 people want to attack a keep, and 500 players want to defend said keep, then there should be enough server and network resources available on the provider's end to accommodate 500 players attacking a keep.

I don't have access to any data other than what I've read, so this may be completely off: I suspect that an expansion of the physical infrastructure is needed. Multiple instances, set a player cap on areas / zones if that's what it takes. Load balancing. If a player cap is what it takes, then create more areas and zones to allow as many in as possible. I'm pretty sure money is not an issue here - if this is the case.

PC-NA-EST

- All's Faire Guild
    - Divine Crusade Guild
    - Greybeards & Gals Guild
    - Dead Citizens Guild
  • Arreyanne
    Arreyanne
    ✭✭✭✭
    halkjear wrote: »

They should add friendly fire to the entire map
  • hmsdragonfly
    hmsdragonfly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    cjthibs wrote: »

Again, anecdotal evidence is not a summation of the Cyrodiil experience - it is an outlier. I can argue that my guild of 60+, broken down into 3 smaller groups had intense lag the entire 6 hours we were on for the night. All of us, save for 4 people, were dc'd at least once during the night. Each time we were met with long loading screens and about a 15-20 min delay getting back into Cyrodiil. (Keep in mind this was after the supposed "fix" XB1 got on Mon afternoon.)

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/3851106/#Comment_3851106

Removing CP isn't a solution to "fix lag". It's a stress test so they can gather hard data to find if CP is indeed the real cause of lag, and if so, which codes are the problems.

As you can see, many people say they experienced less lag, some of people insist that they experience more lag, so who speak the truth? Ok let just forget the people who think experiencing framedrops in 50v50 zerg battles means more lag (let's hope you are not one of those people), it's good to know that the devs have hard data to determine whether it's less lag or more lag, we will know at the end of the event. You know, we gamers tend to talk gibberish.
    Edited by hmsdragonfly on March 1, 2017 4:08AM
    Aldmeri Dominion Loyalist. For the Queen!
  • andreasranasen
    andreasranasen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    As a PS4 player, the lagg is WORSE. Not because of the amount of players in Scourge. It's the same amount of players as it always been. It's just the q that's longer.

More loading screens and more blue screens...

CP is not the answer. Sorry.
    #VMATOKENSYSTEM #WEAPONDYE #TRAITCHANGE #CROWNCRATELOVER
    • Alliance/Platform: Aldemerii - PS4/NA - CP 800+
    • Mag Sorc: Arya Rosendahl - Altmer - Highelf
  • hmsdragonfly
    hmsdragonfly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a PS4 player, the lagg is WORSE. Not because of the amount of players in Scourge. It's the same amount of players as it always been. It's just the q that's longer.

Check this:

So who speak the truth, you or Lord Dexter?

Let's assume that you don't mean framedrops in 50v50 zerg battles as "lag".
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

As I told someone else the counterargument that defenders are favored is rendered pointless by the fact that defenders can't take advantage of my solution if there isn't a zerg fighting them in the first place. 40 people can show up to BRK but if there isn't an excessive amount of enemy players attacking the keep then neither side of the fight is favored, just like it is now in the game.

But you have ignored my main point. Your solutions just makes taking keeps much harder. The only way to make it fair is if 40 defenders show up, and there is only a small group of attackers, then the walls become extra weak.

Again, I just don't see this working well in practice.
  • andreasranasen
    andreasranasen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Check this:

I don't know what campaign he's in. I never seen him in Scourge which is the busiest campaign on PS4.
  • hmsdragonfly
    hmsdragonfly
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Check this:

I don't know what campaign he's in. I never seen him in Scourge which is the busiest campaign on PS4.

So you know everyone who is playing in that campaign? You even know their forum's usernames apart from their @? Man, that's hell of a dedication. I can remember the @ of 3 dudes, and that's it.
  • andreasranasen
    andreasranasen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Check this:

So you know everyone who is playing in that campaign? You even know their forum's usernames apart from their @? Man, that's hell of a dedication. I can remember the @ of 3 dudes, and that's it.

I've spent thousands of hours in PvP. I know the PS4 community very well by name.
  • Olupajmibanan
    Olupajmibanan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I disagree with the idea of keep penalty.

Zerging has something positive about it all. You get the feeling of real medieval battle. Do you think that king said something like this while attacking a castle?: "Well, my knights, split into smaller groups so enemies can stand a chance against us. Having a number advantage is dishonor." So why ruining that feeling for players that actually like that (yes, there are a lot of them). And I remember the first ESO trailer where was said about massive PvP battles which actually took my attention.

You don't need to push players towards small group playying since June brings instanced small scale pvp. Just let Cyrodiil be as it is. Encouraging small group plays in Cyrodiil and taking zergs away would even harm their business model. If Cyro is full of small scale pvp, why buying Morrowind then (in case you are PvP exclusive player).

But yes, something must be done, the lag is inmense. Why can't we just ask for performance fix without changing the gameplay?

Maybe change to graphics intensive effects such as Destro ults, Grothdarr and so on?
  • film
    film
    ✭✭✭

Check this:

PS4 NA Scourge -- Lag is no better or worse imo.

Frame rate dropping is just as bad as before but that will probably never change.

Load screens are worse than before patch imo.

Blue screens are about the same (frame rate drops "lags" and sudden/increased movement seems to be a consistent BSOD). Example: Rapids on mount run into a Outpost that's just been FD'd and jump off mount while turning camera will almost always Blue Screen me

All of those are based on feel as I have no way to test ping latency frame rates in game on PS4.

Follow the stream if you like the stream. Marry the stream if you love the stream.
  • andreasranasen
    andreasranasen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    film wrote: »

Check this:

PS4 NA Scourge -- Lag is no better or worse imo.

Frame rate dropping is just as bad as before but that will probably never change.

Load screens are worse than before patch imo.

Blue screens are about the same (frame rate drops "lags" and sudden/increased movement seems to be a consistent BSOD). Example: Rapids on mount run into a Outpost that's just been FD'd and jump off mount while turning camera will almost always Blue Screen me

All of those are based on feel as I have no way to test ping latency frame rates in game on PS4.

Thank you!
  • Auros
    Auros
    ✭✭✭
    While I understand your @Vercingetorix good intentions here, shouldn't we solve tech problems with tech measures?

21st century, should we disable jumping in an MMO, because the devs can't provide reliable software to handle that functionality?

Maybe it is time to hire some science-oriented people, instead of new marketing/sales personnel then :)
    Edited by Auros on March 1, 2017 8:29AM