The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Would it be viable to have craft nodes & treasure chest respawn even if not 'empty'?

Tavore1138
Tavore1138
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
Many of you will have suffered this pain...

You get to a herb node and there are only crawlers...
You get to a rune node and someone just left you your 100,000th Ta...
You run to a chest to find... a style item...

If it happens many times it can make you :( ... maybe even :'( ... or >:)

But hey 'stuff' happens, we can move on - the bigger problem is that those nodes and chests do not reset until someone else has come along and taken someone else's unwanted leavings - it's like turning up at a restaurant and being expected to finish up the last diners left overs before being able to order your own meal...

I'd considered suggesting that people would have to take a whole node or chest but that seems like forcing people to take what they don't want so... How about ZoS change the code so that all nodes and chests respawn X minutes after they have even part of their contents taken? No idea how easy or hard that would be to implement but at least that way all tyhese half used nodes would respawn and reduce the number of disappointed players...

Crazy plan or not? You decide!
GM - Malazan
Raid Leader - Hungry Wolves
Legio Mortuum
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I'd rather force people to empty nodes or leave as-is. No partial harvesting. If you want to share the contents of a chest, trade stuff face to face.

The downside is forcing to clear inventory. To avoid that, items left in partially looted node should be destroyed.

Seems less than optimal, but might be needed as long as there are idiots who leave things behind.

The most friendly approach though is probably just having nodes timeout after 30 seconds if partially looted.
    Edited by DaveMoeDee on February 28, 2017 6:55PM
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd strongly support them resetting if after 60 secs of being looted, items are left over.

Basically if it's looted at all....bam...reset 60-90 secs later as if it was completely emptied initially so two different timers.
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You mean "would it be viable to have craft nodes and treasure chest respawns work exactly the same way they currently work"?

Because what you suggest is literally exactly the way they work now. The respawn timer starts as soon as someone "closes" the node/chest. It doesn't matter if they've looted everything or left stuff behind. You can test this easily yourself.
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    UrQuan wrote: »
    You mean "would it be viable to have craft nodes and treasure chest respawns work exactly the same way they currently work"?

Because what you suggest is literally exactly the way they work now. The respawn timer starts as soon as someone "closes" the node/chest. It doesn't matter if they've looted everything or left stuff behind. You can test this easily yourself.

@UrQuan

Did they change pc or something yesterday so things aren't left behind
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@UrQuan

No, things are left behind, but the node will still reset itself ~5 minutes later.

So while it sucks a bit to go up to a node and find just worms or something, keep in mind that if they had taken everything that node would not have been there at all, and since it all resets in the same time frame anyway... well is it really a problem?
  • STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

@UrQuan

No things are left behind AFAIK but chest respawn was never or at least not in recent times tied to empty.
    Proudly skooma free while talks-when-drunk is in mandatory public housing.
    YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

First Law of Nerf-o-Dynamics
    "The good way I used to get good kills *with good skill* was good but the way others kill me now is bad."

• SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    agree.gif
  • mesmerizedish
    mesmerizedish
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SirAndy wrote: »
    agree.gif

As many have said, this is exactly how it works already.
  • Tavore1138
    Tavore1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Are you sure - I've stood over chests and nodes for some time without seeing a respawn from an unlocked one with a 'Use' next to it (not for testing just because sometimes something comes up irl)?
    GM - Malazan
    Raid Leader - Hungry Wolves
    Legio Mortuum
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd strongly support them resetting if after 60 secs of being looted, items are left over.

Basically if it's looted at all....bam...reset 60-90 secs later as if it was completely emptied initially so two different timers.

Yes, or the despawn timer used in trials.
  • jedtb16_ESO
    jedtb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    danno8 wrote: »

@UrQuan

No, things are left behind, but the node will still reset itself ~5 minutes later.

So while it sucks a bit to go up to a node and find just worms or something, keep in mind that if they had taken everything that node would not have been there at all, and since it all resets in the same time frame anyway... well is it really a problem?

worms are cool....

more bait.
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@UrQuan

@danno8

Yes it's still a problem that's why it's a thread every month since the game released. Also I'm not sure that the 5 minutes makes any sense because what we're discussing is why have a mode with worms so I'll go out thinking it's a chest or node when it's just trash that often sells for 0

If after 60-90 secs it should dissaper and follow the reset which is much better. I'd rather not see left over nodes at all
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tavore1138 wrote: »

Are you sure - I've stood over chests and nodes for some time without seeing a respawn from an unlocked one with a 'Use' next to it (not for testing just because sometimes something comes up irl)?
    Yes, I'm sure. It's been confirmed by devs, and tested in-game by players. You can test it yourself - eventually the node/chest that's been left with something in it will despawn and later a new one will appear. If you time it, and then time the same respawn after fully looting the same node/chest you'll find that the time is very similar (although not identical because respawn timers depend on variables such as zone population).
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@UrQuan

@danno8

Yes it's still a problem that's why it's a thread every month since the game released. Also I'm not sure that the 5 minutes makes any sense because what we're discussing is why have a mode with worms so I'll go out thinking it's a chest or node when it's just trash that often sells for 0

If after 60-90 secs it should dissaper and follow the reset which is much better. I'd rather not see left over nodes at all
    So you're saying you'd rather have things that other players may find useful disappear so that nobody can get them, just because you personally don't like finding those things? Even though it doesn't negatively impact you in any way, because you can just leave those same things behind if you don't want them, and it doesn't delay the respawn at all? That's really selfish.
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
  • BlackSparrow
    BlackSparrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@UrQuan

Yes it's still a problem that's why it's a thread every month since the game released.

There's a thread every month since the game released because most people don't understand how it works. I didn't know this either, until someone who had seen previous discussions on the subject explained it.
    Also I'm not sure that the 5 minutes makes any sense because what we're discussing is why have a mode with worms so I'll go out thinking it's a chest or node when it's just trash that often sells for 0

I wish I found more nodes with worms. My angler's always running out of those. :(
    Edited by BlackSparrow on February 28, 2017 9:45PM
    Living vicariously through my characters.

My Girls:
    "If you were trapped in your house for, say, a year, how would you pass the time?"

Nephikah the Houseless, dunmer assassin: "I suppose I could use the break. I have a lot of business holdings now that need management."
    Swum-Many-Waters, elderly argonian healer: "I think that I would enjoy writing a memoir."
    Silh'ki, khajiit warrior-chef: "Would this one be able to go outside, to the nearby river? It's hard to fish without water!"
    Peregrine Huntress, bosmer hunter: "Who is forcing me to stay inside, and where can I find them?"
    Lorenyawe, altmer mechanist: "And why would I want to go outside in the first place? Too much to be done in the workshop."
    Lorelai Magpie, breton master thief: "I'd go nuts. Lucky for me, I have a little experience sneaking out!"
    Rasheda the Burning Heart, redguard knight: "I would continue my training to keep my skills sharp."
    Hex-Eye Azabi, khajiit daedric priestess: "I suppose it would be lucky, then, that I built a shrine to Mephala in my backyard."
    Yngva Stormhammer, nord bandit (reformed...ish): "I hate being inside even when I'm not forced to be. GET. ME. OUT."
    Madam Argentia, vampire dunmer aristocrat: "I suppose it would be more of the same. I have a rather... contentious relationship with the sun."
    Mazie gra-Bolga, orc scout: "Uh... I'd have to house train my bear..."
    Felicia the Wanderer, imperial witch-for-hire: "What Lorelai said."
    Calico Jaka-dra, retired khajiit pirate: "This one would like a rest from her grand adventures. Her jewel shop runs out of stock!"
    Shimmerbeam, blind altmer psijic: "Provided that I am confined to Artaeum, I do not think I will want for things to occupy my time."
    Shauna Blackfire, redguard necromancer: "Sounds like paradise. I hate people."
    Kirniel the Undying, cursed bosmer warrior: "I would feel useless, not being able to fight."
    Echoes-from-Dragons, argonian who thinks she's a dragon: "All the better to count my hoard!"

(Signature idea shamelessly stolen from Abeille.)
  • Betheny
    Betheny
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Instead the node should force people to take "all or nothing". If they don't have space in their bags for all of it then they'll have to exit the node and delete stuff in their bags to make some space.
  • phairdon
    phairdon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yeah. Auto loot should be compulsory for nodes & chests.
    Your immersion is breaking my entitlement. Buff Sorc's. Darkshroud the cremator Death by furRubeus BlackFluffy knight BladesThe Fat PantherPsijic Fungal SausageFlesheater the VileCaspian Rafferty FernsbyArchfiend Warlock PiersThe Black BishopEvil Wizard Lizard (EU)Neberra Vestige Fajeon (EU)Salanis Deathstick (EU)Blood Mage Alchemist (EU)
  • DeadlyPhoenix
    DeadlyPhoenix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DaveMoeDee wrote: »
    I'd rather force people to empty nodes or leave as-is. No partial harvesting. If you want to share the contents of a chest, trade stuff face to face.

The downside is forcing to clear inventory. To avoid that, items left in partially looted node should be destroyed.

Seems less than optimal, but might be needed as long as there are idiots who leave things behind.

The most friendly approach though is probably just having nodes timeout after 30 seconds if partially looted.

This wouldn't work in my opinion simply because there have been times back before the craft bag, when I would be completely full on inventory space and not realize it until I already activated the node and I can't loot those 2 kutas I just got off one rune. (It really has happened) if they auto deleted when I close the loot window I would be extremely upset to lose the very thing I'd been scavenging so long for.

I do agree that having them respawn 30 seconds to a minute after the window is CLOSED though would be the best solution. That way you have enough time to delete one or two useless items from your inventory and then retrieve your goodies before they disappear into Oblivion. :wink:
    Edited by DeadlyPhoenix on February 28, 2017 9:57PM
  • Betheny
    Betheny
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This wouldn't work in my opinion simply because there have been times back before the craft bag, when I would be completely full on inventory space and not realize it until I already activated the node and I can't loot those 2 kutas I just got off one rune. (It really has happened) if they auto deleted when I close the loot window I would be extremely upset to lose the very thing I'd been scavenging so long for.

That would be a case of too bad for being oblivious.

All or nothing nodes need to happen.

• NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@UrQuan

@danno8

So you're saying you'd rather have things that other players may find useful disappear so that nobody can get them, just because you personally don't like finding those things? Even though it doesn't negatively impact you in any way, because you can just leave those same things behind if you don't want them, and it doesn't delay the respawn at all? That's really selfish.

@UrQuan

Yes because consider you're still going to get the trash but you're also getting what you went to that mode for or the chest.

Nodes are a RNG system so if ppl partially loot and even if the 5 minute timer applies, it's One Tamriel so because of the frequency of these threads......5 minutes is too short and I don't believe the 5 minutes is a global timer.

It seems to reset every time it's touched because I've chose not to loot, and ppl end up in chat saying hey who left all these worms or white runes behind. I didn't time it tho
  • Enemy-of-Coldharbour
    Enemy-of-Coldharbour
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think they should be all or nothing. I'm sick of these cherry picking ***holes.

Silivren (Silly) Thalionwen | Altmer Templar | Magicka | 9-Trait Master Crafter/Jeweler | Master Angler | PVE Main - Killed by U35
    Jahsul at-Sahan | Redguard Sorcerer | Stamina | Werewolf - Free Bites | PVP Main
    Derrok Gunnolf | Redguard Dragonknight | Stamina | Werewolf - Free Bites
    Liliana Littleleaf | 9-Trait Grand Master Crafter/Jeweler (non-combat)
    Amber Emberheart | Breton Dragonknight | Stamina | Master Angler
    Vlos Anon | Dunmer Nightblade | Magicka | Vampire - Free Bites
    Kalina Valos | Dunmer Warden | Magicka | Vampire - Free Bites
    Swiftpaws-Moonshadow | Khajiit Nightblade | Stamina
    Morgul Vardar | Altmer Necromancer | Magicka
    Tithin Geil | Altmer Sorceress | Magicka
    Dhryk | Imperial Dragonknight | Stamina

Guild Master - ESO Traders Union
    PC/NA - CP 2250+
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@UrQuan

@danno8

You don't see another bigger problem with nodes resetting after only 90 seconds?
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@UrQuan

@danno8

@UrQuan

Yes because consider you're still going to get the trash but you're also getting what you went to that mode for or the chest.

Nodes are a RNG system so if ppl partially loot and even if the 5 minute timer applies, it's One Tamriel so because of the frequency of these threads......5 minutes is too short and I don't believe the 5 minutes is a global timer.

It seems to reset every time it's touched because I've chose not to loot, and ppl end up in chat saying hey who left all these worms or white runes behind. I didn't time it tho
    I'm sorry, that was not very coherent. I have no idea what you're even trying to say there.

Let's be perfectly clear, here's how it currently works:

Say a node contains bast, ancestor silk, and a worm.

Person A comes along and takes the bast and ancestor silk while leaving the worm behind.

The respawn timer has now begun, and it will now take X minutes for the node (which contains only a worm) to despawn and for a new one to spawn in the same spot. If person A had taken the worm as well, the timer would have begun at the exact same time, for the exact same length.

If person B comes along before the despawn/respawn has occurred they'll be able to take the worm if they want it.

What you're asking for is this:

Person A comes along and takes the bast and ancestor silk while leaving the worm behind.

The worm and the node will immediately vanish, and the respawn timer has now begun, and it will now take X minutes for the node (which contains only a worm) to despawn and for a new one to spawn in the same spot. If person A had taken the worm as well, the timer would have begun at the exact same time, for the exact same length.

If person B comes along before the respawn has occurred they'll have no opportunity to take anything.

In other words, there's absolutely no difference between the 2 scenarios except that if person B finds worms to be useful (as many people do) he doesn't get to have one in your scenario, while in the scenario that currently exists he gets one.

Can you explain why you think your scenario is better? It benefits exactly nobody, and takes something away from the people who are happy to take the things that others leave behind in nodes.
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
  • Aquanova
    Aquanova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even though the nodes/chests do respawn after someone has activated them regardless if they didn't take all the loot, I'd still prefer making it an all or nothing loot system. Saves time and frustration.
    Edited by Aquanova on March 1, 2017 1:56AM
    NA/PC
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@UrQuan

@danno8

@UrQuan

I'm sorry, that was not very coherent. I have no idea what you're even trying to say there.

Let's be perfectly clear, here's how it currently works:

The respawn timer has now begun, and it will now take X minutes for the node (which contains only a worm) to despawn and for a new one to spawn in the same spot. If person A had taken the worm as well, the timer would have begun at the exact same time, for the exact same length.

If person B comes along before the despawn/respawn has occurred they'll be able to take the worm if they want it.

What you're asking for is this:

The worm and the node will immediately vanish, and the respawn timer has now begun, and it will now take X minutes for the node (which contains only a worm) to despawn and for a new one to spawn in the same spot. If person A had taken the worm as well, the timer would have begun at the exact same time, for the exact same length.

If person B comes along before the respawn has occurred they'll have no opportunity to take anything.

In other words, there's absolutely no difference between the 2 scenarios except that if person B finds worms to be useful (as many people do) he doesn't get to have one in your scenario, while in the scenario that currently exists he gets one.

Can you explain why you think your scenario is better? It benefits exactly nobody, and takes something away from the people who are happy to take the things that others leave behind in nodes.

I don't agree with what they want, but clearly they don't want to be lured to nodes that don't have what they appear to be (ore nodes with no ore, wood nodes that have no wood etc...) because they find it to be a waste of their time.
  • theher0not
    theher0not
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Make nodes and chest despawn 30 seconds after the first opening of them. That would solve the issue.

Alternativley they could keep it but start the "respawn timer" for it as soon as someone loots it and then once that timer tuns out all loot is lost and it is replaced by a new one.

I don't think force loot is a good way to solve it, that would just cause too many problems (for example if a player only clooses the tab to clear out inventory and the items get destroyed. Or if they are sent trough mail everyone would abuse for what would effectivley be a free crafting bag)
    Edited by theher0not on March 1, 2017 8:47AM
  • mariskaas
    mariskaas
    ✭✭✭
    I did not know a timer was on there since I feel I still encounter half looted things a lot. And it is still annoying, I am not going to stand over a node waiting for it to respawn. Please just use common courtesy, it is not hard to destroy those worms/lockpicks/whatever you find you don't like. I also like all or nothing.
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    theher0not wrote: »
    Make nodes and chest despawn 30 seconds after the first opening of them. That would solve the issue.

Alternativley they could keep it but start the "respawn timer" for it as soon as someone loots it and then once that timer tuns out all loot is lost and it is replaced by a new one.
    *facepalm*

Why is it so difficult for people to actually read a thread before adding in their 2 cents? As has already been explained in this very thread your "alternatively it could work like this" method is exactly how it already works. The "issue" in this thread is a complete non-issue, it's just that most people don't understand how the respawn timer works.
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)