The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Magsorc setup for endgame PvE (trials)

AEAltadoonPadhome
AEAltadoonPadhome
✭✭✭
Hello guys,

With homestead I have been looking into my magsorc and I'd like to start a discussion on some bar setups that are possible for a generic magsorc build.
The build uses 5x TBS, 2x Ilambris, 3x Aether, 1 vMA staff and 1 Aether staff. However, within this build there are several options that look good to me:

Frontbar: Aether lightning (although I dont have it yet)
Force Pulse, Frags, Curse, Inner L., B. Aegis, Meteor
Backbar: vMA fire
Wrath, Liquid, Wall, Inner, Aegis, Storm

The positive thing about this is that you have access to lightning staff heavy attacks on front bar and your WoE is fire. This is the orthodox setup I believe.

Frontbar: vMA fire
Pulse, Frags, Wall, Inner, Aegis, Meteor
Backbar: Aether Lightning
Wrath, Liquid, Curse, Inner, Aegis, Storm

The nice thing of this setup is that you move fire to the front bar, and a fire staff gives +8% single target damage. Back bar is for AoE (after popping Wall).

Frontbar: Aether Fire
Pulse, Frags, Curse, Inner, Aegis, Meteor
Backbar: vMA lightning

This also has the 8% single target bonus, but the disadvantage that your WoE is lightning. However, your front bar weaves will be fire, so medium attacks, which I prefer.

What do you think about these options?

Second, I wonder what the rotation is since the changes to haunting curse. Before, my rotation was Liquid-Wall-barswap-curse-pulse weave (+ frags and reapply curse when it ends).
Now, do you do curse every rotation? you dont want it to overlap and the duration is 12 seconds. Doing it once every rotation means you have less liquid/wall uptime, and doing it less means less curse uptime. How do you handle this?
  • guar_slayer
    guar_slayer
    Soul Shriven
    Actually, you'll notice that most end-game magicka sorcs have replaced TBS / Julianos with Necropotence and Bound Armor with the Volatile Familiar while double-barring lightning staves.

With the Lightning AOE bonus and the pet's AOE damage, having a storm blockade is actually better than a fire one, and you can reach 45K DPS on the training dummy with that setup. (Keeping the same vMSA + aether / moondancer + 2 ilambris).

Either way, you really ought to go Lightning instead of Fire on a sorcerer.

And, speaking for myself, I have the daedric prey morph on my sorcerer in PVE since with the pet + necropotence, it's way better.
    But if you keep Haunting, the best way is to let the 2 explosions happen rather than reseting the curse every 3.5 sec. That way, you have more chances to proc the crystal fragment passive, and will do more DPS (there have been calculations made about this, I will try to find them again).

Edited by guar_slayer on February 28, 2017 6:26PM
  • WarpigFunk
    WarpigFunk
    ✭✭✭
    Having WoE be lightning is not a bad thing, particularly if your raid members have the exploit passive ...

I pretty much always have a ward on one bar in vet trials - I'd replace inner light on back bar with harness magicka (you dont need to double bar inner light anymore)

Any of these setups would work - it just depends on the fight - aoe vs single target, etc ...

as far as curse - you just reapply when the second bomb goes off, just put it on whichever bar most efficiently facilitates doing that for your rotation / play style. Just treat it like a 12 second DoT.
    PS4 [NA]
    Hingle McKringleberry - Altmer MagSorc DD The Flawless Conquerer
    Sek Sual Chocolate - Redguard StamSorc DD Stormproof
    Doktor Feelgood - Breton Templar Healz Boethia's Scythe
    Tiberius Asskickatron - Imperial DK StamTank Mageslayer
    -VERIFIED-
    -FFF-
    vAAHM 100k+, vSOHM 100k+, vHRCHM 100k+, vMoL 78k, vDSA 36k, vMA 535k
  • AEAltadoonPadhome
    AEAltadoonPadhome
    ✭✭✭
    Ok, I added in volatile and it already is much better. I tried daedric prey too, and it makes the rotation easier (no 12 sec dot), but I wonder if it is more or less optimal than haunting curse in this setup?
  • guar_slayer
    guar_slayer
    Soul Shriven
    Daedric Prey is worth it if you have the Volatile Pet. Otherwise, keep Haunting, the echo is nice if you have trouble managing your resources sometimes. But if you're playing with Necropotence and the pet, Daedric Prey adds 2O% more damage on boss fights, and since the AOE from it does the same damage either way, I'd say go Prey.

At any rate, I'd defo suggest playing with the pet. The damage is way better and your rotation easier and less costly.
    Edited by guar_slayer on February 28, 2017 9:30PM
  • Patouf
    Patouf
    ✭✭✭

Any one of you has a bug with familiar ? Sometimes my familiar is passive, it does not attack and stay away from boss or it hits far from monsters. I am not talking about button to put passive mod.
    Ruined Laggy Broken Game
    Sithis & Psijic Order
    Sithis and spacetime. From nothing to everything.
    Dark, Aurbis, Aetherius-Oblivion, Mundus, Nirn, Tamriel. Dark again, something else.
    Dark is categorical, the absolute zero.
    VØID

• hedna123b14_ESO
    hedna123b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello guys,

With homestead I have been looking into my magsorc and I'd like to start a discussion on some bar setups that are possible for a generic magsorc build.
    The build uses 5x TBS, 2x Ilambris, 3x Aether, 1 vMA staff and 1 Aether staff. However, within this build there are several options that look good to me:

Frontbar: Aether lightning (although I dont have it yet)
    Force Pulse, Frags, Curse, Inner L., B. Aegis, Meteor
    Backbar: vMA fire

The positive thing about this is that you have access to lightning staff heavy attacks on front bar and your WoE is fire. This is the orthodox setup I believe.

Frontbar: vMA fire
    Pulse, Frags, Wall, Inner, Aegis, Meteor
    Backbar: Aether Lightning
    Wrath, Liquid, Curse, Inner, Aegis, Storm

The nice thing of this setup is that you move fire to the front bar, and a fire staff gives +8% single target damage. Back bar is for AoE (after popping Wall).

Frontbar: Aether Fire
    Pulse, Frags, Curse, Inner, Aegis, Meteor
    Backbar: vMA lightning

This also has the 8% single target bonus, but the disadvantage that your WoE is lightning. However, your front bar weaves will be fire, so medium attacks, which I prefer.

What do you think about these options?

Second, I wonder what the rotation is since the changes to haunting curse. Before, my rotation was Liquid-Wall-barswap-curse-pulse weave (+ frags and reapply curse when it ends).
    Now, do you do curse every rotation? you dont want it to overlap and the duration is 12 seconds. Doing it once every rotation means you have less liquid/wall uptime, and doing it less means less curse uptime. How do you handle this?

Fire/Fire is still the best if you want the largest single target DPS.

Fire/lightning(main bar) will give you higher overall parse, but will result in lower dingle target damage.

Lightning blockade should not be run by dps, but by healers, since a fire blockade deals a ton more damage than lightning due to:
    A) A passive 20% damage increase to burning targets
    B) Buffs from engulging flame.

Bolatile familiar looks well on paper, but has many complications in raids, such as deaths and inability to attack certain bosses.