The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

New to ESO, Not new to MMO's - Need some help so I can be the best there ever was. ;)

Punksy
Punksy
Soul Shriven
So just like the title explains, I'm familiar with how MMO's are. I know how to quest, do a rotation, all that stuff. However, I'm new to ESO - never watched anyone play it or anything like that. I find it a bit overwhelming when it comes to the skill/point system. Could anyone explain that to me? Like for example - I started a Nightblade and I really like how the play-style is so far while leveling. I did end up finding a recent Stam Nightblade build that explains everything and I can understand it well. However, what I don't understand is unlocking the skills themselves. It's pretty self explanatory that I have to level up each ability which is fine but am I supposed to be harboring points for skills I need later or do I unlock everything I need to by reaching level 50? I'm currently level 14. I know for this certain build I need Dual Wield and a Bow. There's skills I need to obtain through both weapons, obviously, but as I level - do I put points into whatever becomes unlocked even if I won't use them in end game?
  • EleonoraCrendraven
    EleonoraCrendraven
    ✭✭✭
    You do not need to unlock everything as soon as it is aviable to you. Sometimes it is better to save some points and spend them later.
    But you do not need to worry: if you are doing all the quests, dungeons, hunt for skyshards,.. you will have more skillpoints than you need for your combat skills. Most of my characters have all racial and class skills, all passives, all skills of two types of armor and two types of weapon and some crafting skills. Sp you have plenty of skillpoints to try different things :smile:
  • Remag_Div
    Remag_Div
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, don't worry about skillpoints. At the start it may feel overwhelming but you'll eventually have a ton if you play all the content. You can also respec skills later down the line for a modest fee so don't be afraid to spend points early on.
  • Punksy
    Punksy
    Soul Shriven
    Alright, respeccing makes a lot of sense and I figured there would be something like that in case I unlocked something I don't need for end game.

Thanks for the help!
  • Soella
    Soella
    ✭✭✭✭
    It is easy though a bit time consuming to have enough skill points to unlock everything in all weapon lines plus get top level in all crafts. So don't worry.

If you don't have enough skill points, here are some fast skill points:
    - make sure you finish main quest line. You'll get a skill point for each quest.
    - each dungeon has a quest which gives you a skill point, so join a group finder.
    - if you are on PC, get addon (skyshards or destinations), and go get some.\
    - if you are into PvP, a few first levels are fast and also gives you skill points.
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stam Nightblade skill point tips:

Like others say, there are like 400 skill points in the game, so you can fill out the skill tree. A decent stamblade will open all the passives in:

- all three class skill lines
    - Dual wield
    - 2h
    - Bow
    - Medium armor
    - The first three in heavy armor (the ones that give a buff per piece, not the ones for wearing a set of five)
    - all racial passives
    - All fighters guild passives
    - Some mage guild
    - Undaunted, once you start leveling this line as a vet
    - The passive in legerdemain that reduces sneak cost

It sounds like a lot, but it's not. You main sources of skill points are:

65: points awarded through player level 50
    80: 5 points per faction zone from overland and delve sky shards
    24: the sky shards and group even skill points in public dungeons.
    20: Cyrodiil and IC sky shards
    10: the main quest line from the harborage
    75: the three faction quest lines, each starting in your starter city and offering 5 quest points per zone
    20: quests in DLCs
    24: undaunted dungeons quests
    1-50: awarded per rank in pvp alliance war. Assume ten for your character...the curve is steep.

Respec: if you "screw up," respec costs are based on used points, so it gets more expensive. As an approximation, my costs usually look like:

Level 30
    Morphs only: 500 gold
    All skill points: 5,000

Level 50
    Morphs only: 1000
    All skill points: 7,500

C600
    Morphs only: 1,800
    All skill points: 12,000

Using an alt as a crafter:

If you're worried about points, the best strategy people often use is to move all crafting skills to an alt. There are pros and cons. The benefit is that the crafter(s) can get the easiest skill points and be set, taking pressure off your main. These crafters can also be alternate characters that you might play in the future...i.e., if you think you might want to try sorc, maybe create a cool sorc to initially serve as your enchant/alchemy/provision crafter.

The con is that this creates a lot of shuffling items around your bank and bags. And with homestead and writs, most people work up all their characters' craft skills anyway, so it doesn't save that many skill points in the long run.

Post One Tamriel - where you can go get sky shards anywhere - if I were starting over my personal preference would be to just use my main for everything. Because trait research and motif learning is time consuming and expensive, they'd be my permanent smith/cloth/wood crafter. I'd also use them for provision/alchemy/enchant and level these lines with them, but if I ever felt pressed for points I'd bring up an alt to take these over.