The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Ways To Earn Crowns In Game

babyhippo740
babyhippo740
Soul Shriven
I think ESO needs to add quests where you can earn like 100 crowns or so after completing them. It would be cool and it would help people who can't or don't want to pay for crowns just to buy accessories,
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This would completely defeat the cash shop revenue model. They won't do this, nor should they.
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SWTOR does this but for very small amounts connected to achievements (which are account wide) as a way to give people some Cartel money to show them how nice buying thing is.

I don't think the model would work for ESO though.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Rickter
    Rickter
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    if they didnt charge 5000 crowns on a motif, and 4500 on a mount, i'd probably be against this idea, but as it stands, the current cash shop model is way too money hungry
    RickterESO
    PC | NA | DC
    YouTube
    Bloodletter | StamDK | Alliance Rank 46 | Former Emperor of Shor (2018) | Former Emperor of Thornblade #4terms (2015)
    PvE:
    vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMA | vDSA | vMoL | ALL Vet 4 Man Dungeons

• ookami007
    ookami007
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Show me the money!
    04a7cc0c6176ac4bb1a6232c83122802acbb00cf5e77f9b031042e649c7d2a61.jpg
  • bluemanjoe_ESO
    Reverb wrote: »
    This would completely defeat the cash shop revenue model. They won't do this, nor should they.

lotro does this and their revenue model is fine. But it would be something like 5 crowns for an achievement or big quest. Not every quest.
  • necronomniconb14_ESO
    Reverb wrote: »

lotro does this and their revenue model is fine. But it would be something like 5 crowns for an achievement or big quest. Not every quest.

Then there's no point to it. You wouldn't even have enough for a worthless consumable you don't want but only have enough barely for after about a year of letting a bot go after those achievements for you. And believe me, people would bot those things even though they know the amount of currency for it would be completely worthless in most circumstances. Out of everyone that posted here, I guarantee two, maybe even a few of you would do it sooner or later. Frustration, and the sense of compensation and it being the only way you feel you have to strike back for the scumminess would eventually allow you to convince yourself to do it and feel justified. I have already known players in other games that have gone through this same thought process. The gambling needs to be removed, and items given a fair and set price. Anything else eventually leads to bitterness, and some of the community blaming others for ruining part of the game or the experience they could have had. That I am sure we are all familiar with from at least one other game in this day and age, the blame and resentment toward one another for enabling greedy or poor decisions by devs in games by justifying it through purchases. Games these days are designed to be soloed, but attached to an always online DRM (ooo shiny mmo [ironic label]). That's so that you cannot cheat engine or pirate the content and are forced to use a cash shop like any other mobile-like design. The "encouragement" to give in to this, is the narcotic effect of the gambling while being able show off how stupid you are to complete strangers you probably will never actually play with after streaking past them in the social hubs. This has lead to the downfall of current gaming. Pantheon may be the last mmorpg I play for better or for worse and one of a few REAL mmorpgs in the past ten to even 15 years by the time it comes out. If That one fails me, I will give up on even waiting around for private servers and screw the genre entirely for the rest of my life. I
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A lot of games do this. Usually the amounts are so tiny that it's not really worth bothering with, I suspect the point is to get you to look at the cash shop or buy some stuff so that then you want to get other stuff and may 'give in' and buy currency to get it.

But if you're willing to be patient or you just don't care how long it takes it can be a nice way to get a free item every now and then. In Pokemon Go I get a free incubator every 8 days as long as no one kicks my pokemon out the gyms (which they usually don't, I think we've mostly reached a truce in my town). It's not much of a bonus but it's better than nothing.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • WhiteMage
    WhiteMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Speaking from experience, LotRO's method worked. You were given enough from achievement completion for it to be worth it, if you saved up from just playing the game. If you want something NOW, though, you'd probably have to pay for it. Good system, great system. It certainly got me spending from time to time when I had originally sworn off ever buying something inside of a game.
    The generally amicable yet sporadically salty magplar that may or may not have 1vXed you in Sotha Sil. Who knows?
  • Purrmaid
    Purrmaid
    ✭✭
    I agree with this idea! If certain big story-quest-lines gave very small amount of crowns. An poor player could eventually farm up to an mount or a pet. While those that have money to throw around, you'd get a tiny amount of crowns and go "oh, look at that, I'm only 1k crowns away from this awesome mount/pet/thingy I want" and BOOM. They'd charge! It would be an insentivie to charge, because nothing is more annoying than seeing an random, uneven, number of crowns in my store!
  • Violynne
    Violynne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think ESO needs to add quests where you can earn like 100 crowns or so after completing them. It would be cool and it would help people who can't or don't want to pay for crowns just to buy accessories,
    I don't disagree with this idea, only the amount. 100 is too much. 10 or 20 Crowns would be more reasonable.

I only say this because there have been time where I was 100 Crowns short and I didn't want to "recharge" another 500 Crowns just to cover the difference. A few Crowns earned in non-repeatable quests would actually help to fill this gap.
  • Jim_Pipp
    Jim_Pipp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Danikat wrote: »
    A lot of games do this. Usually the amounts are so tiny that it's not really worth bothering with, I suspect the point is to get you to look at the cash shop or buy some stuff so that then you want to get other stuff and may 'give in' and buy currency to get it.

Insightful. Perhaps it would be better if there was a way to earn occasional crown gems rather than crowns? This would get people looking at crown crates, and may generate a few sales from people who need a few more gems for an item they want (especially because crown crate seasons are relatively short). It may also appease those people who won't buy crown crates on principle but still feel it is unfair they can't directly purchase crate items.
    #1 tip (Re)check your graphics settings periodically - especially resolution.
  • JWKe
    JWKe
    ✭✭✭✭
    Good luck with that. Zo$ offer players no grounds to work with.
  • AlienatedGoat
    AlienatedGoat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS already has this covered with the free 500 crowns you get for making a new account.
    PC-NA Goat
  • pgorbas_ESO
    pgorbas_ESO
    ✭✭
    ZOS already has this covered with the free 500 crowns you get for making a new account.

So are you suggesting:
    1. Spin up a throw away email, to make a throw away account
    2. The new throw away account gets 500 crowns
    3. Somehow mail transfer the 500 crowns from the throw away account to your main account
    4. Repeat for as many crowns as you want ??

I am fairly sure this will not work, but honestly have not tried it...
  • Kittytravel
    Kittytravel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think this is already covered with Crown Gifting for everything except houses.

You can trade gold for crowns using the current system so there is very little that isn't accessible via the gold you get from questing. There doesn't seem to be a need with the quest reward crown model if crown gifting remains in the game.
  • mikejezz
    mikejezz
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think this is already covered with Crown Gifting for everything except houses.

You can trade gold for crowns using the current system so there is very little that isn't accessible via the gold you get from questing. There doesn't seem to be a need with the quest reward crown model if crown gifting remains in the game.

But isn't it possible to get scammed this way? I mean, you have to hand over the gold before you get the crowns right? Technically you could hand over the gold and the player would just log off.

Or does Zenimax actually do something against something like this?
  • redgreensunset
    redgreensunset
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, 2 year old necro?

I mean I've seen older, but still somewhat impressive.
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

They used to have a few options to earn free crown crates at the beginning of various seasons - that seems to have been dumped

There used to be one or two points in leveling where the level reward was "One crown crate" but that seems to have been dumped.

I'm guessing they are making enough money via crowns now and feel no need to push/encourage them.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Soul Shriven
    Hello everyone,

This post is to let you know that we've felt it necessary to put this thread down, as it seemed to have died some time ago. At this time we'd like to try and keep Draugr threads from roaming around the front page, pushing down newer and more lively threads.

Thank you for understanding!
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.