Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Pve Vs Pvp damage discrepancy

ericsparrow
Hey chaps ( +chapettes )

Quick bit of background first. I have a Cp 388 Mag Sorc who I have been using in the Imperial City to hunt down motif's from chests recently. I'm not an experienced pvper nor is she set up for that kinda thing. If i get discovered its usually wham bang thank you mam and 3 seconds later im respawning back in the faction base. Im fine with that, its an inconvenience at worse and added spice for me when I'm pootling around at best. Thats not the thing.

So anyway, yesterday i was on my way to the sewer entrance across Cyrodriil and our faction was sieging a keep. It was nearby so i thought i may as well stop off and lend a hand. It was while doing that that i noticed that the damage i was doing was fully 1/10th!!! of my normal output against npc's. At that point i switched to healing until got I killed and then carried on my merry way.

Here is the question then. What is going on with PVP that would make such a difference to me? This character doesnt have elite damage capabilities anyway and is only in purple gear but it would be nice to be able to give someone a black eye on the way down if nothing else. :)

Gear is Julinos and Seducer, 5 light 2 heavy. All divines.
Inferno Staff - Precise.

Unbuffed Stats ( that i thought might be relevant ):
Magicka 26054 - Health 18471 - Stamina 9733
Spell Damage 1844
Spell Critical 70%
Spell Res 12713
Physical Res 9793
Attack Power 1132
Spell Pen 5631
Pysical Pen 100

To reiterate, i know this character isnt set up for pvp properly, im fine with that. Im looking for helping with why there is a glaring hole in the damage im able to do so i can research and figure out if im prepared to put the time and effort in to address that given what im actually there to do ( which is farm motifs ie pve )

thanks in advance for any help you can give.
  • Leandor
    Leandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    a) Battle Spirit. There is a universal 50% damage reduction in PvP
    b) Impenetrable. Any knowledgeable player in PvP will run a significant amount of crit defense, meaning that crits will do only little more than standard attacks. Seeing your stats, yours seems a crit based build. It is much less effective in PvP
    c) Blocking. Players can and WILL block your strongest attacks, which is again a 50% to 80% reduction of damage.
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, just a quick one as on my phone. First of all damage in PvP is halved, so that is one thing. Second alot either run Wards or Impenitrable so you probably won't crit as much as PvE thus don't get the use of your huge Crit%

Also running a Sharpened Staff will really help your damage, in PvE as well as PvP. In Particular as right now alot of people run heavy armour you need to slice thru.

Also do you run wards? As they don't Crit its key as a Sorc to run them to survive.
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • ericsparrow
    Thanks guys I had forgotten about the damage reduction in pvp and will try switching to a sharpened staff. Should I be aiming for a higher spell penetration number as well ( from my champion points )
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Generally speaking, you will get 4k via 5 x light armour, 5k from the weopon, staffs ignore 10%, etc. All that as a base Light armour Mag Sorc outs you in an ok place. You can then play with adding more 1-2k and see how it works for you.

Some people run crazy high Pen builds as tank killers, some don't, also pen does nothing against wards so too many CP in could be wasted against ward users or builds with low resistance.

I'll caveat all this that its layman's terms / my understanding I'm still a relative new guy to PvP
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • Lynx7386
    Lynx7386
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, as mentioned, all damage, healing, and damage shields are reduced by 50% automatically against other players.

Most pvp minded players are going to have heavy armor and high resistances to further reduce your damage, and blocking for good measure. Most will also be nigh-immune to critical strikes via champion points and impenetrable gear, while most soloing or pve builds rely heavily on crits for their damage output.
    PS4 / NA
    M'asad - Khajiit Nightblade - Healer
    Pakhet - Khajiit Dragonknight - Tank
    Raksha - Khajiit Sorcerer - Stamina DPS
    Bastet - Khajiit Templar - Healer
    Leonin - Khajiit Warden - Tank