The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Housing is For What????

Riswa
Riswa
I have heard a lot of comments about how useless this new housing thing is. Bethesda needs to make a better case for owning a home than they have so far. There have been a lot of heated arguements over housing. I think the people asking why housing are winning. And people have put a lot of real money into it and will have buyers remorse soon.
  • Jim_Pipp
    Jim_Pipp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There have certainly been a lot of threads like this. I think that zos knows they simply didn't do well enough with the housing update (although some people clearly do like it) and now they are "sweeping it under the rug"with hype about morrowwind.

When housing was in pts the main failings were repeatedly pointed out, and to the best of my knowledge zos has not acknowledged them. They could have made it clear that there are new systems being developed for housing (the year ahead post would have been ideal), but their silence seems like an admission of defeat and I expect housing in the elder scrolls online will not get developed much more. Every time zos releases lacklustre dlc in the future we will say "they are doing another homestead".
    #1 tip (Re)check your graphics settings periodically - especially resolution.
  • bryanhaas
    bryanhaas
    ✭✭✭✭
    I just want something similar to a well rested bonus in housing and possibly something to spawn adds in your home on command (that give XP). But mainly the rested bonus, to give it more of a purpose.
    PS4 NA AD GM formerly known as GM of "The Children of the Void"

9 trait crafter I do all the things (Yes I mean ALL the things ;0).

Price list: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1FTV7ACtmEpQQwsEiHVcrBxC0zKaj6LKvc3An7dGG2t0/edit?usp=sharing
    Youtube: MaulochBaal https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRav05_8nWGvlTrfBBefaEw/featured
  • akl77
    akl77
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For your creativity, for your dream layout, for displaying all your achievements and having guild visitors over, and visiting their houses too.
    Pc na
  • partzs
    partzs
    They added housing so that they can give a reason for bringing down the servers because they dont test anything they release!
  • bebynnag
    bebynnag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    an unexpected benefit of owning a home is that i am able to display my RL personality through my house

friends/guildies are showing up at my house and you can actually hear their jaw hit the floor over the mic

they are expecting something girly, flowers everywhere, pretties, one guilie even expected some kind of biblical re-enactment!

they are instead confronted by gargoyles, molag ball statues, a blood fountain, a guiloteen (inc cart of corpses strategically positioned) a basement filled with coffin's and of course the pig pet being sacraficed slap bang in the centre of my 'trial team meeting area' (inc butcher knife)
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jim_Pipp wrote: »
    There have certainly been a lot of threads like this. I think that zos knows they simply didn't do well enough with the housing update (although some people clearly do like it) and now they are "sweeping it under the rug"with hype about morrowwind.

When housing was in pts the main failings were repeatedly pointed out, and to the best of my knowledge zos has not acknowledged them. They could have made it clear that there are new systems being developed for housing (the year ahead post would have been ideal), but their silence seems like an admission of defeat and I expect housing in the elder scrolls online will not get developed much more. Every time zos releases lacklustre dlc in the future we will say "they are doing another homestead".

They copied all of the *already in-game* house and item models, gave them blueprints/designs/prices, and then made them available to players for maximum cost. It's a massive gold and Crown sink. You will never have a nice house if you do anything less than spend tens of millions of gold or hundreds of dollars in Crowns for your home. Oh, and also grind your butt off for a few months while you wait for Morrowind.

Totally cool if that interests you, as the result can be quite awesome. These are the homes I visit, though mainly for Target Skeletons.

I don't believe it would have feasibly been possible for ZOS to put much less into Homestead than what there currently is. Housing Storage didn't even make the cut according to ZOS, and I don't recall it ever being brought up again afterward :lol:

Only one useful thing arrived with Homestead - Target Skeletons. This update will be looked back on as the "Lots of technical issues/Target Skeletons with Houses/waiting for Morrowind" update imo.
    Edited by Vaoh on February 27, 2017 2:15AM
  • Cêltic421
    Cêltic421
    ✭✭✭✭
    Owning a house should net you some storage space based on the size of the house. It makes sense. I don't know to much about this housing update, to me it seems like something that should have came at launch of the game. I would much whether have new content to play with. I don't want a house that I will not go to, it's just another loading screen to me.

But people like housing. There are decorators now and it's another way to make gold in game. Again I have nothing against it but it should have been apart of the game at launch. No new content in 6 months. When Morrowind comes out it would be 9 monthins with no new playable content. I watched the press release and I heard nothing about delves are dungeons. Big map of Morrowind to explore, quest line. new class, and PvP battlegrounds and a new trial. IMO in a update there should be atleast one dungeon or some delves. I may be wrong. Will there be delves and or dungeons in Morrowind?
    Edited by Cêltic421 on February 27, 2017 7:55PM
  • TheNuminous1
    TheNuminous1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    an unexpected benefit of owning a home is that i am able to display my RL personality through my house

friends/guildies are showing up at my house and you can actually hear their jaw hit the floor over the mic

they are expecting something girly, flowers everywhere, pretties, one guilie even expected some kind of biblical re-enactment!

they are instead confronted by gargoyles, molag ball statues, a blood fountain, a guiloteen (inc cart of corpses strategically positioned) a basement filled with coffin's and of course the pig pet being sacraficed slap bang in the centre of my 'trial team meeting area' (inc butcher knife)

My personality may not be as sinister as your home would describe xD but in love that this update allows for us to share ourselves with our in game friends. To shown off our creative instinct and customize our personality through our homes has been an amazing feeling. Your friends really get a sense of who YOU are and what your mind is capable of :)
  • FuriousStar
    FuriousStar
    ✭✭✭
    Yea, that's me in Skyrim. Every container is organized with something. Perfect example being in the cellar: left side of safes were weapons, right side armor. I haven't heard anything on the storage on homestead here, though I am also new on the forums, so still researching. But if there isn't any housing compartments to at least alleviate bank size now or in the future, then I won't invest too much time and resources house hunting. At least not any time soon.

But maybe that's also the reasoning for this. Banks would become more obsolete as you level, or simply after you bought your first house. 800 void stone ingots in my bank doesn't seem reasonable, but I can't help but hoard.
  • RebornV3x
    RebornV3x
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just bought a simple place Mornoth Keep In Bangkorai not gonna spend crowns or millions in gold for a house with no functions
    Xbox One - NA GT: RebornV3x
    I also play on PC from time to time but I just wanna be left alone on there so sorry.
  • Izaki
    Izaki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm pretty confident that they will expand housing further. So far it doesn't have any functions, but it is truely fun to make your fanstay home your own. I reckon they will implement stuff into houses, I just don't see what. It needs to have some kind of incentive other than just "hey check out this death trap" or "come try this obstacle course" or "lets test you dps". Question is: what? Storage? What else?
    @ Izaki #PCEU
    #FrenchKiss #GoneFor2YearsAndMyGuildDoesn'tRaidAnymore
    #MoreDPSthanYou
    #Stamblade
  • Cêltic421
    Cêltic421
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm pretty confident that they will expand housing further. So far it doesn't have any functions, but it is truely fun to make your fanstay home your own. I reckon they will implement stuff into houses, I just don't see what. It needs to have some kind of incentive other than just "hey check out this death trap" or "come try this obstacle course" or "lets test you dps". Question is: what? Storage? What else?

Stablemaster that allows you to upgrade horses, for the biggest houses a world trader, games you can sit down and play vs a friend like a board game, a garden to grow alchemy reagents since there is no hireling, merchant that sells and repair, alters to respect skill points and attributes, heirlings deliver to your house instead of mail with more mats the bigger the house those are from top of my head. We all want to storage with our homes. Why we didn't get that idk.
  • Bleakraven
    Bleakraven
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sure, it's useless to some people, just like, for example, PvP updates or new costumes are useless to some people.
    To me, the appeal is in having a place I can call home, that I can show mine or my character's personality.
    And for roleplayers, it's the ability to finally create their own space: guild halls, taverns, shops, etc.
    It might not appeal to you at all, but I'm sure it does to a whole other bunch of people. :)
  • kiddafinlay
    kiddafinlay
    ✭✭
    A place to quickly escape to when caught thieving lol!!!
  • theblackninja22
    theblackninja22
    Soul Shriven
    What's the use of having a house when j can't store my things there?
  • Durian
    Durian
    ✭✭✭
    It would be great if we can grow some herbs in the gardens in the bigger homes :-)
    Edited by Durian on May 13, 2017 11:24PM
  • boggo
    boggo
    ✭✭✭
    Fun I suppose?