The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

New to game, have a few questions.

Sylo78
Sylo78
✭✭
Hello all, new to the game and have few questions.

1. Are gold and items account bound?

2. Is your characters bank shared with alts?

3. When crafting, are you able to pick the level of what you craft( i.e. crafting lower stuff for an alt)?

4. After unlocking weapon switch is it more viable to focus on your support role( i.e. restoration staff for healing ) while continuing to level or is it just better to focus on another dps set up?

5. Do you need to be in a group for public dungeons?

6. Does your support role benefit players you are not grouped with?

7. Are there any high valued items that can be sold to fences or vendors, or are trade guilds the only route?

8. Do other race armors and weapons ever drop or are drops based on your characters race( thus meaning the only way to find/wear other races stuff is to learn motifs and craft it )?

9. At what level does Iron stop dropping and another material start?

• Glaiceana
    Glaiceana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hey there, welcome! :)

1) Gold is collected on each character, but you can put it in your bank, which is account bound, so all your characters can deposit and withdraw from it. Some items are account bound, it will tell you on their tool tips, if they are you cannot trade or sell them.

2) Answered above, yes! :)

3) Yes you can pick the level, there's lots of different materials for each tier, but it will tell you what you need and what level it will be.

4) It depends what you want to do, if you want to be a healer, you can focus on that. But its useful to level another weapon line. Maybe look up what kind of build you are going for first, there will be plenty of advice for the setup that works well! :)

5) No you can just run into public dungeons. Technically you can do any dungeon alone, but it may not be recommended :D

6) Yes, although there may be some passives that don't work unless you are grouped, I am not sure on this. But in general, your allies will be affected by your support, that means anyone except opposite alliance players in PVP.

7) You can steal treasure items, looted from NPCs or Nightstands, things like that, they can be worth up to 1500 gold I believe, but its rare. Trading will be your easiest way to make money, selling gold items like Tempering Alloy and Dreugh Wax for instance.

8) I think every race style can drop, except for the super rare ones, or ones that enemies don't even wear.

9) If you mean harvesting iron from nodes, that depends on your blacksmithing points. If you go into that skilline and put in more points, the material tier will rise and you will see higher level ores.

Hope this helps :)
    Priests of Hircine
    Werewolves who bite for FREE! PC/EU
    Our total free bites: 7000+
    Guild Subreddit | Forum Thread | YouTube Playlist
    Total Champion Points: 1000+
    Main Character: Ithaera - Stam DK, Nord, Female, DD, Werewolf.
    Rothelnog - Stam NB, Orc, Male, DD, Werewolf.
    J'Xena - Mag DK, Khajiit, Female, DD, Werewolf.
    Dances-With-Frost-Dragons - DK, Argonian, Male, Tank, Werewolf.
    Raziel The Paradox - Mag TP, Dark Elf, Male, DD, Vampire.
    Swims-Through-Starlight - TP, Argonian, Female, Healer, Werewolf.
    Glaicean Mag Ward, High Elf, Male, Ice DD, Werewolf.
    Hjurne Hircine's Forsaken - Sorc, Redguard, Male, PvP DD, Werewolf.
    My Total Free Werewolf Bites: 400+ (Ask me about bites if you need one!)
    Playing since July 2015!
  • Streega
    Streega
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. What do you mean by "bound gold"? You can send gold to another account. As for items, most of them are not bound, but some - yes;
    2. Yes
    3. Yes
    4. Whatever you wish;
    5. No
    6. Yes, but it's more beneficial for the group;
    7. Yes, but the price is much lower;
    8. No, drops are random and not race-dependent;
    9. That depends on your xp lvl and craft lvl (low lvl character with high crafting skill will find iron and higher lvl ore).
    ⊂( ̄(工) ̄)⊃ Don't-Care-Bear ⊂( ̄(工) ̄)⊃
    PC EU "House Tertia" - Friendly Guild for Mature Folks (housetertia.com)
    PC EU "Priests of Hircine" - Awesome Guild for Friendly Werewolves (free bites!)
    Member of "Guild Masters United"
    Master Angler
  • Sylo78
    Sylo78
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the answers guys. Sorry I should have been more clear on question 9. What I meant was, when does iron gear stop dropping and something like steel start dropping.
  • Streega
    Streega
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Around lvl 10? I'm not totally sure.

Edit: Checked it - at lvl 15.
    Edited by Streega on February 22, 2017 6:11PM
    ⊂( ̄(工) ̄)⊃ Don't-Care-Bear ⊂( ̄(工) ̄)⊃
    PC EU "House Tertia" - Friendly Guild for Mature Folks (housetertia.com)
    PC EU "Priests of Hircine" - Awesome Guild for Friendly Werewolves (free bites!)
    Member of "Guild Masters United"
    Master Angler
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some expansions:

5. Public dungeons: it helps to explain the distinction in dungones in this game:

Delves, the torch icon, are meant to be run solo, but are public instances so you will encounter other players and can run with them, or friends, or whatever. There are six per zone, and each has a sky shard. To clear them you need to kill the boss, and there's usually a quest that offers piddly xp. If the map icon is black, you have not cleared it. Once it is cleared the icon goes white.

Public dungeons, the stone arch icons, are also public instances where you'll find other players. They're much harder with many more monsters in each mob, and while they may be run solo they are intended for people to help each other out. There is one per zone, and each has a sky shard, several mini bosses to kill for achievements, and a big fight called a "group event" that awards one whole shiny brand new skill point. There are 1-2 quests inside each public dungeon that award big xp gains, and these are what you complete to clear the area and turn the map icons white. As a newbie these dungeons are the most "valuable" to you because there are 24 total skill points in the 18 public dungeons, and lots of leveling opportunity. You may run them solo, but if they give you trouble feel free to either group up, or just tag along with "older" players. Playing together makes xp gain faster, so most people don't mind a lower level toon hanging with them.

Group dungeons, arch icons with a plus, are four person group instances. Only your group, up to four players, will instance. These are very hard dungeons, each containing a quest that awards a skill point. There are no sky shards. Some have a second version of the dungeon with an additional skill point quest. They can be put on normal and veteran mode in your group menu...vet mode is way hard and meant to be played by 4 person vet groups with many, many, many champion points. These are also called undaunted dungeons, because once you get to level 45 you can join undaunted and do dailies that reward monter sets and other stuff.

Cyrodiil delves: these are just like delves, but the monster population is denser like a public dungeon. Each has a sky shard, there are no quests, and there are multiple (2-6) bosses you need to kill to clear them. They are also pvp zones, so other faction players can murder you.

7. To give you an idea of loot values, the only items of value to in-game npc vendors are stolen treasures. The quality of your drops from stealing from containers and picking pockets is determined by your legerdemain level. Most treasures are white, worth 40 gold. Greens are worth 100. Blues are rare, they drop for me 1-5 times per hour of stealing...worth 250. Purples are ultra rare, dropping once every couple of months, and are worth 1500. You can make a couple thousand an hour stealing once you're good at it.

Items that are desirable on the player markets can be worth much more. If you want to rack up the gold, this is the way to go. Browse guild stores at the guild trader stands...rawlkha, Wayrest and mounrhold are the biggest stores. This will give you an idea what is valuable, then you could go farm those items. For a beginner, I recommend farming motifs. Each drop in a specific way. I do a farm where I run my nightblade through some thieves guild and dark brotherhood repeatable/daily quests. In an hour I can nab 1-3 motifs from the thieves guild, abahs watch or dark brotherhood styles. Each is worth 25-40k in guild stores. And of course homestead items will be worth a lot for a while.

If you're going to farm and sell, you probably need to join a guild that consistently wins a trader spot. Many of these, especially in the desirable spots, charge a weekly "rent" to access their stores. 2k, 5k and even 10k per week are common. But if you're farming and getting those high-value items it's well worth it. I clear $200k per week in three trade guilds that all together cost $17k per week to access their stores.

8. Armor drops vary in racial styles. "Junk gear" refers to gear that does not belong to a set...just a rawhide jack of some sort...can drop in any racial style. Drop sets, which are labeled on the tool tip as such and offer increasing buffs depending on how many items frommthst set your wear, have a pre-determined style. For example, viper's sting is argonian...all pieces drop as argonian. There are powerful craft sets in the game, made at special craft stations scattered around. These can be made into any style. To do so, the crafter needs to have a specific number of traits researched per item and they need to know the style you want on the item. For example, Hundings Rage is a "six trait set." So to make a hollowjack medium chest, I need to have researched at least six traits on medium chests. Then I need to have learned the hollowjack chest motif.

9. Material drops are a bit complex in one Tamriel. What they're made of (iron, steel, orichalum, etc) are a function of both your character level and your rank in that item's trade skill. NOTE: trade skill level and rank are NOT the same thing. Trade skills have a level, the value of 1-50 on your skill menu, but they also have a rank determined by how many points you've spent in their first passive...the one that allows you to craft higher level items.

Nodes in the world drop 50/50 based on character level and trade skill rank. For example, when you get to player level 16 and can start wearing steel, half the metal ore nodes will be steel. But let's say you work up the smith level pretty high and spend points to be rank 4, which allows you to craft up to dwarven. The other half of the nodes will be drawrven ore. Item drops vary in materials. Drop sets will always be your player level so that you can wear them immediately. Junk items, like swords you steal off a rack, will be based on your trade skill rank.

You can therefore apply some strategy to your material drops. If you're going to craft your own gear, you will want to keep your trade ranks going up at about the same rate as your player level...or keep them one step ahead, so you can collect ore you need in the near future. Or race your craft skills ahead so you can collect the expensive high level vet mats to sell/horde.

Hope this helps. If you have any questions, respond using @davey1107 in the thread and I'll get an alert. Happy to assist with any beginner/intermediate/advanced questions.
  • Sylo78
    Sylo78
    ✭✭
    Thanks davey.

Another question. When I research a trait( say training ) for an item( say light armor helmet ) am I only able to apply that trait to "light armor" helmets or all helmets in general?
  • Vonovosi
    Vonovosi
    ✭✭✭
    when you research a trait on a light helmet after completion you will be able to apply that trait to light helmets only. You will need to do a separate research for medium and heavy helms.
    VR16 Khajiit Stamina Nightblade=DPS-(AD)-PC NA-Kuwabatake Sanjuro
    VR16 Breton Sorcerer-DPS/Healer-(DC)-PC NA-Charles Baudelaire
    VR16 Altmer Sorcerer=DPS/Healer-(AD)-PC NA-Lottie Millhaven
    VR16 Dunmer Dragonknight-Tank-(EP)-PC NA=Cthulhu Hllalu
    VR16 Imperial Dragonknight-Tank-(AD)-PC NA-Leeroy Jhenkins
    VR16 Breton Magicka Templar-Healer/DPS-(AD)-PC NA- Nina Hagen
    VR16 Altmer Magicka Nightblade-DPS-(AD)-PC NA-J R Bob Dobbs
    LVL39 Redguard Stamina Templar-Tank-(DC)-PC NA-Wesley Willis
  • Sylo78
    Sylo78
    ✭✭
    Thanks Vonovosi. Is there anywhere( a menu ) I can check what my character has researched and for which armor class?
  • Vonovosi
    Vonovosi
    ✭✭✭
    In response to your original post, regarding bound drops. There are 3 classifications , bound on equip, (most items in the game and can be freely traded) bound on pickup (found in places like maelstrom arena or undaunted reward chests) and items that are can be traded within the group that you were in when they dropped (these items drop in instanced group content and are tradable for 2 hours after they drop)
    VR16 Khajiit Stamina Nightblade=DPS-(AD)-PC NA-Kuwabatake Sanjuro
    VR16 Breton Sorcerer-DPS/Healer-(DC)-PC NA-Charles Baudelaire
    VR16 Altmer Sorcerer=DPS/Healer-(AD)-PC NA-Lottie Millhaven
    VR16 Dunmer Dragonknight-Tank-(EP)-PC NA=Cthulhu Hllalu
    VR16 Imperial Dragonknight-Tank-(AD)-PC NA-Leeroy Jhenkins
    VR16 Breton Magicka Templar-Healer/DPS-(AD)-PC NA- Nina Hagen
    VR16 Altmer Magicka Nightblade-DPS-(AD)-PC NA-J R Bob Dobbs
    LVL39 Redguard Stamina Templar-Tank-(DC)-PC NA-Wesley Willis
  • Sylo78
    Sylo78
    ✭✭
    Two more questions :)

I read that traits you learn are character bound, obviously they should be, but what I'm not clear on is the time to research character bound as well, or account? I.E first researched item will be 6 hours for every character.

I've seen a few players going invisible and literally one shotting NPC's, I'm assuming they are nightblades like me, and I looked at my skills but couldn't see anything that would relate to creeping up behind someone and slitting their throat, google yielded no clear results either. Then I noticed there is a Dark Brotherhood DLC. Is what I'm seeing these other players do related to a new trait or skill line introduced by that dlc?
  • Glaiceana
    Glaiceana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sylo78 wrote: »
    Two more questions :)

I read that traits you learn are character bound, obviously they should be, but what I'm not clear on is the time to research character bound as well, or account? I.E first researched item will be 6 hours for every character.

I've seen a few players going invisible and literally one shotting NPC's, I'm assuming they are nightblades like me, and I looked at my skills but couldn't see anything that would relate to creeping up behind someone and slitting their throat, google yielded no clear results either. Then I noticed there is a Dark Brotherhood DLC. Is what I'm seeing these other players do related to a new trait or skill line introduced by that dlc?
    Research times are character bound too :) But if you have ESO plus, you get slightly faster research times for all characters.
    Yes what you are seeing is the Blade of Woe, you get it with the Dark Brotherhood DLC, its actually a passive in the skill line :)
    Priests of Hircine
    Werewolves who bite for FREE! PC/EU
    Our total free bites: 7000+
    Guild Subreddit | Forum Thread | YouTube Playlist
    Total Champion Points: 1000+
    Main Character: Ithaera - Stam DK, Nord, Female, DD, Werewolf.
    Rothelnog - Stam NB, Orc, Male, DD, Werewolf.
    J'Xena - Mag DK, Khajiit, Female, DD, Werewolf.
    Dances-With-Frost-Dragons - DK, Argonian, Male, Tank, Werewolf.
    Raziel The Paradox - Mag TP, Dark Elf, Male, DD, Vampire.
    Swims-Through-Starlight - TP, Argonian, Female, Healer, Werewolf.
    Glaicean Mag Ward, High Elf, Male, Ice DD, Werewolf.
    Hjurne Hircine's Forsaken - Sorc, Redguard, Male, PvP DD, Werewolf.
    My Total Free Werewolf Bites: 400+ (Ask me about bites if you need one!)
    Playing since July 2015!
  • Sylo78
    Sylo78
    ✭✭
    Thank you Glaiceana.
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is there anywhere( a menu ) I can check what my character has researched and for which armor class

Not in your menu. You have to go to a crafting station and either scroll to that item/trait in the build menu, or go to research and flip through them.

Note - all motifs learned are listed in your journal, sometimes scattered about, but most are in the crafting section. That's not directly related to your question, but it might be helpful to know.

Trait research:

This is by character. If you are on 2 day research for light helm divines on character a, how long it takes character b to research the same thing is entirely independent and based on their own research list.

Research times get longer and longer per trait on that item. The first trait on an item takes approx 5 hours, the ninth takes 60 days. (!) You can speed this up in two ways. One, membership in ESO plus offers 10% faster research on everything, account-wide, no questions asked. Two, each skill line has a passive (i.e., metallurgy in smithing) that allows both faster research and researching more items simultaneously. There are four points in the relevant passive in each line, speeding things up by 5/10/20/25. The final point also caps the time at 30 days, which is relevant for the 8th and 9th traits researched.

Sneak attacks

Dark cloak is the skill you see making NBs invisible. Then the throats cutting is them using Blade of Woe from Dark Brotherhood. You get it free for completing the first quest in Gold Coast, no skill point required. An alternative is to use dark cloak and surprise attack from behind. Those skills pair and you should learn how to use them. My stamblade' average hit across all skills is like 12k...a good surprise attack from cloak can push 40k.

As for Blade of Woe, if you haven't purchased the DLCs, ESO plus gives you access...you can go in and get BoW. Then you don't lose the skill line, abilities, or progress if your subscription lapses. So I always advise new players asking about DLCs to try them first via ESO plus. If you love them, buy them. If you don't, snag all the good stuff in there while your plus is active.

Also, for someone who doesn't have any DLCs I'd recommend looking at the Gold Edition (which comes with four DLCs) and seeing what's cheaper...buying DLCs with crowns, or just getting a new disc. The disc is $35, it costs 5500 crows to buy the DLCs as a package, or 8500 crowns to buy them one at a time. Then the gold edition comes with a mount. (So did thenre-release of Skyrim, for anyone who bought that and didn't realize it).

• exiars10
    exiars10
    ✭✭✭
    I am sorry for necro, but as a relatively new player, I have a simple question:

I have bunch of overland weapons which are not bound. For example if I use Dwarven Oil on green weapon to improve it to blue, is this new improved (blue) weapon going to be bound or not?
    I don't play ESO since 15.06. because Cyrodiil is broken since Summerset (PvE isn't much better, too)...

Aldmeri Dominion (PC Europe via Steam)

The cowardly Wood Elves are best noted for their unwillingness to engage in a face-to-face attack; a Bosmer will strike at you from every side except the front. You won't cross swords with a Bosmer, but you might catch an arrow in the throat. Be wary in forests and jungles, and watch your back.
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It shouldn't be. The items that are bind on pickup should say that. Other items can be bind on equip, which means you can improve it and still sell it if you want, as long as you don't equip it.
  • Loc2262
    Loc2262
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not 100% sure, but I agree with JKorr that they should not be. I know for a fact that gear that you crafted yourself and subsequently improved does not become bound.

In any case, there should be a warning message when you try an action that will cause the item to become bound (except for equipping). I know that's the case when you dye gear. I'm not sure though if that message comes from an addon I'm using or if it's a vanilla thing.

Suggestion: Try it out with a rather unimportant item. If that does not become bound, the remaining ones won't either. :)

By the way: You could have started a new thread instead of necroing one from a year ago. ;)

Edited by Loc2262 on January 29, 2018 3:07PM
    Kind regards,
    Frank
    PC-EU, 12 chars, 900+CP
  • exiars10
    exiars10
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you both of you.

I tried on some irrelevant hide armor, and yes, it didn't became bind. It still has "Bind On Equip".
    Edited by exiars10 on January 29, 2018 5:53PM
    I don't play ESO since 15.06. because Cyrodiil is broken since Summerset (PvE isn't much better, too)...

Aldmeri Dominion (PC Europe via Steam)

The cowardly Wood Elves are best noted for their unwillingness to engage in a face-to-face attack; a Bosmer will strike at you from every side except the front. You won't cross swords with a Bosmer, but you might catch an arrow in the throat. Be wary in forests and jungles, and watch your back.
  • Loc2262
    Loc2262
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice, so you can go for it and improve it all you like. :)
    Kind regards,
    Frank
    PC-EU, 12 chars, 900+CP
  • Mancombe_Nosehair
    Mancombe_Nosehair
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are on pc, there is an addon called trait buddy, which is great for researching traits.