The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

CP Gear and MOB Questions

Oakclaw
Oakclaw
Hello,

Although, I've not started acquiring CP yet, I had a few questions.

- The current max is 561, correct? I feel like I remember reading about an increase with the Morrowind expansion, but I can't seem to find any information about it now. Can anyone confirm this?

- The current max gear level is CP160? If they increase the max CP character level, will they increase the max gear level as well? Why would I waste my time grining my CP160 gear if they plan to increase it.

- The max enemy level is CP160? Does this mean they stop scaling after that point? In other words, is a CP561 going to absolutely destroy CP160 mobs?

All help is much appreciated.
"Hand down the throat, a kiss for my wrist; hand on the lungs, a kiss for my arm. Grasp, tear, yank… and one last kiss for the killer's own heart."
-The Green Lady
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Max CP was 561, but recently just got bumped up to 600. I don't remember if we're getting another increase with Morrowind.

They won't necessarily increase the gear cap if they increase character cap. At this point I'm not sure there's a reason to increase the gear cap when there's plenty of other ways to keep players grinding. I feel like it would be creating a grind just for the sake of creating a grind.

Yes, scaling does stop once you hit the gear cap, but you don't have to be max CP to wreck mobs, it more matters about player skill. So you could have a max CP player who struggles to kill mobs and have a CP160 player who smokes the same mobs, but the CPs do help.
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oakclaw wrote: »
    Hello,
    - The current max gear level is CP160? If they increase the max CP character level, will they increase the max gear level as well? Why would I waste my time grining my CP160 gear if they plan to increase it.

- The max enemy level is CP160? Does this mean they stop scaling after that point? In other words, is a CP561 going to absolutely destroy CP160 mobs?

All help is much appreciated.

They have already announced they are not going to raise gear caps with the next large expansion this Summer. And, for the most part it does not make sense to raise gear caps in a scaled game where the purpose of the scaling is to remove any barriers for players to play together. Besides, the Champion System takes care of character progression. As for the Gear Chase, they would probably introduce new Crafted Sets (as they just introduced a slew of dropped sets). In other words, raising the gear cap would just create a lot of fuss for no net gain in the game.

As for destroying mobs, you can reach a point where the general game mobs are not all that difficult long before you reach the cap. Or, the mobs will be a problem for you long after exceed the cap. It all depends on your build, your rotations, your gear, your skills, your approach to the game etc etc etc. It is what you make of it.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"