Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Laptop upgrade?

Saucy_Jack
Saucy_Jack
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
Want to run ESO on ultra on a laptop. For those who are tech-savvy: is it feasible to put a GTX 1080 in a 15" laptop without it weighing a million pounds or burning my crotch clean off due to terrible cooling?
ALL HAIL SNUGGLORR THE MAGNIFICENT, KING OF THE RNG AND NIRN'S ONE TRUE GOD! Also, become a Scrub-scriber! SJ Scrubs: Playing games badly to make you feel better about yourself.
  • ookami007
    ookami007
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure what you are really asking. There are laptops with a 1080 already with no reports of crotch burning, notably the MSI GT73VR, the Asus ROG G701VI OC and of course Alienware will be releasing their own soon.

My friend has a MSI with a 1070 and it plays awesome. I can only imagine what a 1080 would be like.
  • greylox
    greylox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1080 would be overkill unless you want 4k, I'd go 1070
    PC EU

House of the Black Lotus
    *{Smokes-in-the-Shade }* (Mag pet Sorc Argonian, prolific thief, willing participant of the dark arts, gardener of exotic...herbs)
    {Lugdum The Mechanist} (Hybrid Orc Templar, collector of ancient Ayleid smoking pipes)
    {Rantoul} (Dark Elf Magknight, likes an ale between boss fights, has been known to offer daedric princes out in a fist fight)
    {Red, The Wanderer} (Bosmer stam sorc and hunter extraordinaire)
    {Shoots-For-Stars} (Argonian Mag pet Sorc Ice mage Healer)
    *{Jinny the spark }* (Sassy Imperial Stamplar)
    {Crezzi the Drifter} (Magblade khajiit burglar, available for questionable operations)
    {Grif the Despised} (StamKnight Tank Nord, Eastmarch Master Drinker and spinner of tall yarns)
    {Geraldine Stone-Heart} (High Elf MagSorc Ice Tank, Mystic, practitioner of the ancient arts)
    *{Anawinn}* (Stam pet Ward Redguard, Mother to a bear and an unruly Hunger,Librarian, field medic and natures fist)

{*}Mains
    { CP 900+ }

Caretaker of Battle Island (Grand Topal), the holiday destination for the discerning warrior
    Residing in Stay-Moist Mansion-Shadowfen - The Smoking Den (as of 6th feb 2017)

• Gordon906
    Gordon906
    ✭✭✭
    You can use a gpu adapter for laptops
  • Pallio
    Pallio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Best Buy just had some nice Asus on dale $899, probably other places too.
  • Gordon906
    Gordon906
    ✭✭✭
    But if you are looking to upgrade I recommend a full PC rather than a laptop
  • DeathlurkZ
    DeathlurkZ
    ✭✭✭
    I bought my girlfriend a new asus laptop with a 980 and it runs eso on high (did not try ultra) with no issues.

1080 is overkill and going to be a significant impact on your wallet compared to a 1070. But I am getting the 1080 in my new desktop computer.

Every laptop can get a bit warm, but you should not be keeping your laptop on your lap anyways, latest studies show it can be bad for your health, and for guys, it can lower the amount of unhatched babies that are living in your southern region (bypassing profanity filter).

Enjoy the new laptop though!!
    Edited by DeathlurkZ on February 22, 2017 7:22PM
  • Saucy_Jack
    Saucy_Jack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm looking for something light enough and graphics-robust enough to do geomapping/topographical modeling work in the field, while also being able to run newer games on the higher-setting end of the spectrum.
    ALL HAIL SNUGGLORR THE MAGNIFICENT, KING OF THE RNG AND NIRN'S ONE TRUE GOD! Also, become a Scrub-scriber! SJ Scrubs: Playing games badly to make you feel better about yourself.
  • Gordon906
    Gordon906
    ✭✭✭
    Saucy_Jack wrote: »
    I'm looking for something light enough and graphics-robust enough to do geomapping/topographical modeling work in the field, while also being able to run newer games on the higher-setting end of the spectrum.

Then you will need a new laptop. I recommend Asus rog or Lenovo
  • Saucy_Jack
    Saucy_Jack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was thinking basically of this, except with the 1070 instead of the 1060 if I can swing it:

https://sagernotebook.com/Notebook-NP8156.html
  • Gordon906
    Gordon906
    ✭✭✭
    Saucy_Jack wrote: »
    I was thinking basically of this, except with the 1070 instead of the 1060 if I can swing it:

https://sagernotebook.com/Notebook-NP8156.html

It has a great processor and the gpu isn't that bad. But it is expensive though.
    Edited by Gordon906 on February 23, 2017 7:09AM
  • greylox
    greylox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is gonna be my next upgrade from my i5 6300hq and gtx 960m

Chassis & DisplayDefiance Series: 15.6" Matte 3K IPS LED Widescreen (2880x1620)
    Processor (CPU)Intel® Core™ i7 Quad Core Processor 7820HK (2.9GHz, 3.9GHz Turbo)
    Overclocking ServiceOverclock the Intel® Core™ i7-7820HK with speeds up to 4.0GHz
    Memory (RAM)16GB Kingston SODIMM DDR4 2133MHz (1 x 16GB)
    Graphics CardNVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1070 - 8.0GB GDDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1, G-SYNC
    Hard Disk1TB WD Blue™ 2.5" SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (upto 545MB/sR | 525MB/sW)

About £1900 with the other bits
    PC EU

House of the Black Lotus
    *{Smokes-in-the-Shade }* (Mag pet Sorc Argonian, prolific thief, willing participant of the dark arts, gardener of exotic...herbs)
    {Lugdum The Mechanist} (Hybrid Orc Templar, collector of ancient Ayleid smoking pipes)
    {Rantoul} (Dark Elf Magknight, likes an ale between boss fights, has been known to offer daedric princes out in a fist fight)
    {Red, The Wanderer} (Bosmer stam sorc and hunter extraordinaire)
    {Shoots-For-Stars} (Argonian Mag pet Sorc Ice mage Healer)
    *{Jinny the spark }* (Sassy Imperial Stamplar)
    {Crezzi the Drifter} (Magblade khajiit burglar, available for questionable operations)
    {Grif the Despised} (StamKnight Tank Nord, Eastmarch Master Drinker and spinner of tall yarns)
    {Geraldine Stone-Heart} (High Elf MagSorc Ice Tank, Mystic, practitioner of the ancient arts)
    *{Anawinn}* (Stam pet Ward Redguard, Mother to a bear and an unruly Hunger,Librarian, field medic and natures fist)

{*}Mains
    { CP 900+ }

Caretaker of Battle Island (Grand Topal), the holiday destination for the discerning warrior
    Residing in Stay-Moist Mansion-Shadowfen - The Smoking Den (as of 6th feb 2017)

• parkham
    parkham
    ✭✭✭
    @Saucy_Jack - I've never heard of an easy way to add a new graphics processor to a laptop. This article details a Franken way to do it - http://www.pcworld.com/article/2984716/laptop-computers/how-to-transform-your-laptop-into-a-gaming-powerhouse-with-an-external-graphics-card.html

The big three is what you need to know about in order to get great performance.
    - Processor (CPU)
    - RAM
    - Graphics Processor (GPU)

With ESO, running something better than an FX-8320 with 8GB RAM and GTX 750Ti video card will get you ultra performance without any issues.

If you're wanting to upgrade a laptop - I suggest waiting until the AMD Zen processors come out with laptops. AMD is also releasing some new graphics chips as well that look really promising and a lot easier on the wallet when compared to Intel / Nvidia.

AMD Zen - http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/amd-ryzen-1700x-comparison-shot-fx/
    AMD Vega - http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/amd-vega-architecture-details-ces-2017/

Comparable performance for a whole lot less money.

One final note - I've had issues with Intel graphics cards and any new architecture might have issues as well. For best compatibility with ESO, you can't really go wrong with using Nvidia graphic cards.
    Edited by parkham on February 24, 2017 2:15PM

PC-NA-EST

- All's Faire Guild
    - Divine Crusade Guild
    - Greybeards & Gals Guild
    - Dead Citizens Guild
  • Saucy_Jack
    Saucy_Jack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @parkham That's tempting, but I need my laptop in the next week or two. If I wasn't in such a time crunch, I'd definitely wait it out for the components you listed.