The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
In response to the ongoing issue, the North American PC/Mac megaserver is currently unavailable while we perform maintenance.
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8100050/#Comment_8100050

Bast (or the lack thereof)

MercTheMage
MercTheMage
✭✭✭✭
Could someone plz explain to me wtf is going on?
I've been farming for the past 4 hours, not a single bast drop from silk nodes, and no guild trader anywhere seems to have.
You just going to stand there like a lemon?
  • Jaeysa
    Jaeysa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    O_o That's really bad luck - I can't say for guild traders, but as someone who's done a bit of farming last couple days, Bast is still dropping normally.
    PC/NA: Primarily Daggerfall Covenant.

GL of Hearthlight - a NA/PC Housing guild. PM for details/invite!

Lennie: Breton Sorceror. 9-trait crafter on everything, purveyor of useless frippery.
  • cyberjanet
    cyberjanet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to my RNG, @MercTheMage. I don't think I've had a decorative wax in days. I managed to eventually buy some heartwood at a price that was only ridiculous rather than impossible. It's really difficult to craft enough furniture for even a free room at the inn.
    Favourite NPC: Wine-For-All
    Mostly PC-EU , with a lonely little guy on NA.
  • Reivax
    Reivax
    ✭✭✭✭
    Because making the materials rare means you can't make what you want, and so you get frustrated and will eventually just give in and buy the finished furnishings from the Crown store!
  • MercTheMage
    MercTheMage
    ✭✭✭✭
    Reivax wrote: »
    Because making the materials rare means you can't make what you want, and so you get frustrated and will eventually just give in and buy the finished furnishings from the Crown store!

Well... jokes on them. I've never bought anything from the Clown store
  • Glaiceana
    Glaiceana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yeah bast and heartwood seem to be the rarest for me. Someone was saying it just seems that way because so many of the furniture recipes use it. That could be the case, but I swear the drops are rarer for these.
    Priests of Hircine
    Werewolves who bite for FREE! PC/EU
    Our total free bites: 7000+
    Guild Subreddit | Forum Thread | YouTube Playlist
    Total Champion Points: 1000+
    Main Character: Ithaera - Stam DK, Nord, Female, DD, Werewolf.
    Rothelnog - Stam NB, Orc, Male, DD, Werewolf.
    J'Xena - Mag DK, Khajiit, Female, DD, Werewolf.
    Dances-With-Frost-Dragons - DK, Argonian, Male, Tank, Werewolf.
    Raziel The Paradox - Mag TP, Dark Elf, Male, DD, Vampire.
    Swims-Through-Starlight - TP, Argonian, Female, Healer, Werewolf.
    Glaicean Mag Ward, High Elf, Male, Ice DD, Werewolf.
    Hjurne Hircine's Forsaken - Sorc, Redguard, Male, PvP DD, Werewolf.
    My Total Free Werewolf Bites: 400+ (Ask me about bites if you need one!)
    Playing since July 2015!
  • Jaeysa
    Jaeysa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think there's more herb nodes in general than there are cloth or lumber nodes - I know I've certainly got more resin than heartwood or bast put together. And if you're just farming decorative waxes, go to Rivenspire - the locked house next to the mage's guild has no NPCs and will net you usually a wax per clear, along with the possibility of blueprints and general thievey-stuff.

Lennie: Breton Sorceror. 9-trait crafter on everything, purveyor of useless frippery.
  • Indigo_Shade
    Indigo_Shade
    ✭✭✭
    Since the PC Homestead update went live, cloth nodes have been rarer (nodes, not mats) then ore and wood. I'm currently harvesting Silk, Ebony Ore and Yew. My harvested numbers for Ebony and Yew are FAR above Silk.

By happenstance, I just started harvesting these mats 2-3 days before the update, so I did not have much when Homestead went live. Thank goodness I am not wearing cloth armor at present, because I don't have enough refined silk to make even 1 fracking set...and have some left over for emergencies.
  • Ashtaris
    Ashtaris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think acutally Clean Pelts are going to be the hardest to come by. One reason is that ZOS recently nerfed the drop rate on those a bit by removing the CP passive for Plentiful Harvest from clean pelts. I'm not sure why, it's a node like any other except I guess they figure you shouldn't be able to get two pelts from one animal. I know, that's really taboo in a fantasy game :)
  • Ahzek
    Ahzek
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Ashtaris considering i have people sell pelts for ~65 gold and the other mats for ~200 gold i sont think thats gonna be an issue anytime soon.

Whats very intriguing to me is wether or not the drop chance for the furnishing materials is influenced by the level you have in the respective crafting skills. I have all crafts at 50 except alchemy, but only invested skill points into enchanting and blacksmithing. Incidentally those are the furnishing mats i feel like i get the most (i ended up with 2x more regulus than anything else). Bast, pelts and heartwood on the other hand seem very scant to me. Resins however seem to drop rather regulary.
    Has anyone else experienced something similar ? Or is it just me being supersticious ?
    Jo'Khaljor
  • Reivax
    Reivax
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ahzek, that's an interesting idea. The character I play most on now is maxed in provisioning, alchemy and enchanting with most all passives. (no snakeblood and none of the provisioning ones that make food last longer). I know that I find decorative wax and mundane glyphs far more than anything else. I have the achievement where you harvest 100 of them.
    This same character has 50 in cloth, wood and blacksmith, and a few pts in material and research time passives.
    Bast and Heartwood, maybe in the 30's found so far. Clean Leather, I cannot remember. Regulus seems to come up more than the others, and coincidently, my material passive in Blacksmithing is 5 or 6 (Ebony?) which is highest of the 3.

Maybe I'll take my retired Nord DK armor/weapon crafter out of that pink-dyed nordic bathing suit I put him in, and run him up and down the Rift a few times and see what he picks up, as a test.
  • Jaeysa
    Jaeysa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Reivax - any reason you're taking him out of the bathing suit? ;)

• Reivax
    Reivax
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jaeysa wrote: »

I figured he may like to adventure in the wedding dress for a bit!
  • MercTheMage
    MercTheMage
    ✭✭✭✭
    11 HOURS LATER, I KID YOU NOT.
    avjXOyC.jpg
    Edited by MercTheMage on February 21, 2017 10:07PM
  • Jaeysa
    Jaeysa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reivax wrote: »

I figured he may like to adventure in the wedding dress for a bit!

But he might get it terribly dirty!

• AdamskiAlders
    AdamskiAlders
    ✭✭✭
    I think there's more herb nodes in general than there are cloth or lumber nodes - I know I've certainly got more resin than heartwood or bast put together. And if you're just farming decorative waxes, go to Rivenspire - the locked house next to the mage's guild has no NPCs and will net you usually a wax per clear, along with the possibility of blueprints and general thievey-stuff.

I'm always hanging around Rivenspire on the rob - thanks for the extra tip.
  • Nuntjako
    Nuntjako
    ✭✭✭
    I went for a farming run and when I was finished I had enough silk, ore and wood to make a full set armor (in light and heavy) and 4 staffs @ CP160, but I still didn't have enough heartwood to make a small bedside table. It makes no sense...

I find that the droprate of all furnishing mats is abysmal, but the heartwood for me is the worst.

Edited by Nuntjako on February 23, 2017 1:32PM
  • Dhukath
    Dhukath
    ✭✭✭
    Personally I've seen a big decrease in the drop of all homestead mats since launch, kind of feels like the drop rate has been reduced in the last few days.
  • SGT_Wolfe101st
    SGT_Wolfe101st
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glaiceana wrote: »
    Yeah bast and heartwood seem to be the rarest for me. Someone was saying it just seems that way because so many of the furniture recipes use it. That could be the case, but I swear the drops are rarer for these.

I think it drops way less frequently, yes it is needed more often but I can't craft anything either way. I have farmed nearly 1000 ruby ash and have 17 heartwood to show for it. About 500-600 Ancestor Silk and 12 bast. Meanwhile have regulus (sp) and alchemic agent (??) falling out of the sky. 80% of the items take the materials that drop the least, that is not a bug or an oversight, that is planned scarcity, to do what was mentioned above, "to heck with this farming, lets see if the crown store has a table that I like."
    PS4 -NA AD

Wood Elf - StamNB - DPS
    Nord - MagDK - Tank
    High Elf - MagSorc - DPS
    Dark Elf - Mag Warden- Healer
  • dbrand001
    dbrand001
    ✭✭✭
    I've been farming for the past 4 hours, not a single bast drop from silk nodes, and no guild trader anywhere seems to have.

I have actually seen a lot of players running up like they are picking silks and taking what they want and leaving the rest behind. Its not just silks its been all the mats. I have been out fishing for a week and seen this by several players. So more than likely someone hit that node first and took the bast and left the rest.
  • MercTheMage
    MercTheMage
    ✭✭✭✭
    dbrand001 wrote: »

I have actually seen a lot of players running up like they are picking silks and taking what they want and leaving the rest behind. Its not just silks its been all the mats. I have been out fishing for a week and seen this by several players. So more than likely someone hit that node first and took the bast and left the rest.

Who would be stupid enough to leave ancestor silk behind tho?
  • dbrand001
    dbrand001
    ✭✭✭

I had thought the same thing.
  • Jaeysa
    Jaeysa
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I had thought the same thing.
    Same. I keep running out of it.

• DragonRacer
    DragonRacer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Glaiceana wrote: »

I have this same problem. I haven't crafted a single thing, just been trying to farm materials and find recipes, and I'm doing well collecting everything except for bast and heartwood. I have two heartwood and I have yet to collect one single bast.
    PS5 NA. GM of The PTK's - a free trading guild (CP 500+). Also a werewolf, bites are free when they're available. PSN = DragonRacer13
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bast is the hardest for me to find too .
  • STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    On PC NA you can find most mats at the guild stores at decent availability and quantities. This will only get better.

So, maybe farm gold instead of mats if the mats are harder for you to get from your playsty;le.

500g = 1 heartwood. just bought a bunch of it at that price or below (significantly below in fact) to craft some orcish platform blocks for my deck. So about 3k expense each to make but i will sell surplus crafted platforms for ~5k so... no biggie on recouping some of the expense and it saved a lot of time and fretting.

never been a fan of grinding for mats. just play thru some "gold nodes" and after selling off the proceeds - buy the mats. more Xp and set drops from harvesting "gold nodes' than dedicated time for harvesting wood and metal.

Not like there is a lot of difficulty in harvesting gold, right? heck, Gold is the only mat where the nodes chase you?!? Gold is also the universal mat - trade it in for provisioning supplies or woodworking supplies or whatever you need.

Crownspiracy types seem to keep forgetting the guild stores in their jump from "got a hangnail" to "crown scam!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!".

:-)

Edited by STEVIL on February 28, 2017 6:00AM
    Proudly skooma free while talks-when-drunk is in mandatory public housing.
    YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

First Law of Nerf-o-Dynamics
    "The good way I used to get good kills *with good skill* was good but the way others kill me now is bad."

• SunnyBunny
    SunnyBunny
    ✭✭✭
    I believe it is people just collecting the bits they want and leaving the rest. I auto loot everything - especially since if I can't use it I can sell it.

I've had good luck with finding bast in areas where there aren't that many players or not overly active.
    Lone Wolf Help ~ Royal Bank of Tamriel ~ Black Market Wares

I Know I'm Lost

*Ernestina - Imperial Temp
    *Ennus - Bosmer Sorc
    *Greavy - Orc DK
    *Somniate - Ra Gada NB
    *Cilano - Imperial DK
    *Ba'Raka - Khajiit Warden
    *Bird In Hand - Argonian Templar
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ashtaris wrote: »
    I think acutally Clean Pelts are going to be the hardest to come by. One reason is that ZOS recently nerfed the drop rate on those a bit by removing the CP passive for Plentiful Harvest from clean pelts. I'm not sure why, it's a node like any other except I guess they figure you shouldn't be able to get two pelts from one animal. I know, that's really taboo in a fantasy game :)

And yet you can get a "pelt" from a mudcrab. LOL.