Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Leveling blacksmith, is taking me forever

NexusRoy
NexusRoy
Soul Shriven
I've been into blacksmithing since I started playing ESO (like 10 days ago) and, so far, I've only reached Blacksmith lvl 7. I always craft something everyday and do my writ in Vulkhel Guard, but I barely get a 25% bar experience.

I also have refined hundreds of armors, weapons, and back to craft until I run out of materials, but the time and the effort is not paying off.

Am I doing something wrong? Do I have to move to other areas to get more rewarding tradeskills quests or something?

Thanks
  • BlackSparrow
    BlackSparrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    First blacksmith is slow. That's pretty normal.

However, one tip since you didn't mention it: Deconstruct everything. If you find a weapon or piece of armor that you're not going to wear at that exact moment, decon it instead of selling it. You gain levels a lot faster by deconing than by creating, just because of the sheer amount of stuff there is to decon.
    Edited by BlackSparrow on February 20, 2017 3:26PM
    Living vicariously through my characters.

My Girls:
    "If you were trapped in your house for, say, a year, how would you pass the time?"

Nephikah the Houseless, dunmer assassin: "I suppose I could use the break. I have a lot of business holdings now that need management."
    Swum-Many-Waters, elderly argonian healer: "I think that I would enjoy writing a memoir."
    Silh'ki, khajiit warrior-chef: "Would this one be able to go outside, to the nearby river? It's hard to fish without water!"
    Peregrine Huntress, bosmer hunter: "Who is forcing me to stay inside, and where can I find them?"
    Lorenyawe, altmer mechanist: "And why would I want to go outside in the first place? Too much to be done in the workshop."
    Lorelai Magpie, breton master thief: "I'd go nuts. Lucky for me, I have a little experience sneaking out!"
    Rasheda the Burning Heart, redguard knight: "I would continue my training to keep my skills sharp."
    Hex-Eye Azabi, khajiit daedric priestess: "I suppose it would be lucky, then, that I built a shrine to Mephala in my backyard."
    Yngva Stormhammer, nord bandit (reformed...ish): "I hate being inside even when I'm not forced to be. GET. ME. OUT."
    Madam Argentia, vampire dunmer aristocrat: "I suppose it would be more of the same. I have a rather... contentious relationship with the sun."
    Mazie gra-Bolga, orc scout: "Uh... I'd have to house train my bear..."
    Felicia the Wanderer, imperial witch-for-hire: "What Lorelai said."
    Calico Jaka-dra, retired khajiit pirate: "This one would like a rest from her grand adventures. Her jewel shop runs out of stock!"
    Shimmerbeam, blind altmer psijic: "Provided that I am confined to Artaeum, I do not think I will want for things to occupy my time."
    Shauna Blackfire, redguard necromancer: "Sounds like paradise. I hate people."
    Kirniel the Undying, cursed bosmer warrior: "I would feel useless, not being able to fight."
    Echoes-from-Dragons, argonian who thinks she's a dragon: "All the better to count my hoard!"

(Signature idea shamelessly stolen from Abeille.)
  • Trinity_Is_My_Name
    Trinity_Is_My_Name
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You are doing fine. What you need are Intricate items to decon and also decon just about everything you can find that you don't sell for gold. Don't sweat it...it will increase. If you have friends that play or are in a guild ask for Intricate items to decon. The guild I'm in we deposit a ton of Intricate items in our bank for members to raise their Crafting levels.

Have fun and good luck!
  • Violynne
    Violynne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NexusRoy wrote: »
    I've been into blacksmithing since I started playing ESO (like 10 days ago) and, so far, I've only reached Blacksmith lvl 7. I always craft something everyday and do my writ in Vulkhel Guard, but I barely get a 25% bar experience.
    Deconstruction > Creation.

Get out in the world and destroy enemies. Grab any green, blue, and purple items. Run back, and deconstruct them AFTER you've reviewed the weapon's traits (you don't want to decon something you've yet to learn!).

Creation should only be done with writs or when you're ready to level up your own stuff (usually every 10 levels). The latter can be ignored because you'll often find dropped items > than what you're carrying. Take advantage of that.

Dolemns and delves will often drop blue items, if you need that extra push to get to a new skill level. I wouldn't recommend grinding them, though: they take forever for a few trinkets.

The best way to acquire gear is just to get out and destroy everything that moves. >:]
  • NexusRoy
    NexusRoy
    Soul Shriven
    Ok thanks.

Another question, when am I supposed to find other materials than iron? I have moved to other areas but I always find the same resources (maple, iron, etc).
  • G-sus_NL
    G-sus_NL
    ✭✭
    If you think blacksmithing is slow then you are gonna have loads of fun with trait research.
    PSN: G-sus - EU - Daggerfall Covenant - DW DK Imperial
  • Violynne
    Violynne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NexusRoy wrote: »
    Another question, when am I supposed to find other materials than iron? I have moved to other areas but I always find the same resources (maple, iron, etc).
    Since the change to One Tamriel, materials are now leveled with your skill. Currently, you can only refine iron ore. You'll have to spend a skill point to level Blacksmith materials to level 2, which is High Iron (to make steel items).

Once you do this, the ores will convert. At first, you'll have a mix of both, but eventually, only High Iron will show up. Just remember that once the switch is flipped, finding lower ores starts to go away. Make sure you have all your writs completed if you need to grind materials.

Writs will also automatically updates based on your materials skill. This can be tedious because if you leveled ores, but not wood, then you have to go back to the previous area to drop off any writs items.

I would recommend leveling all your equipment mats at the same time, so this way, the area you're in will be constant. You can forgo the other writs, since trying to do all 6 would be difficult at lower levels. You can always do the others later. :)
  • Surragard
    Surragard
    ✭✭✭✭
    Quick way to level up is to deconstruct items made by another player. If you are in a guild and can get a few players involved, you all craft daggers and through them in the guild bank. Take each others daggers, and deconstruct them. Rinse and repeat.
    I don't always drink Skooma, but when I do I go to the Southwall Corner Club. May you walk on warm sands my friends.
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    By far the fastest way to level Blacksmithing/Clothing/Woodworking is to deconstruct items with the Intricate trait that are at or above your level.
    shades.gif