The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 6:
· [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
· [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)

No sealed writs, is my account broken?

Ebuntom
Ebuntom
Soul Shriven
With the new housing I have taken to doing writs every day. I do max level 2x provisioning, 2x woodworking, 2x blacksmithing and 1 clothier. Every single day since the release of housing. Zero sealed writs. My wife, who does about 3x as many as me, gets them so often she complains if her sealed writ is worth only 2 upon completion.

Seriously, is my account broken?
  • Aimora
    Aimora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am doing all writs across 6 chars and apart from a few in the 1st couple of days of the update I haven't had another yet either, not sure what the criteria is to get them but my chars are all maxed out in crafting :/
    Aimora Gilidhren - 50 Hybrid Sorcerer
    Aimae Gilihdril - 50Templar Healer
    Aimsae Astasia - 50 Templar Tank
    Aimellie Halfpenny - 50 Nightblade spinning DPS
    Sofae Ethelbur - 50 Dragonknight Tank
    Sha'Mash 50 - Nightblade - Former Empress
    Saelenor Wilihfren 50 - Templar No. 3
    Seliene Harbingerin 50 - DK in training
    Aims For Equanimity 10 - Magicka DK

Circle of the Phoenix - Guild Mistress
    Elysium - Guild 2nd in Command
    Auridon Trading Company - Joint GM

Looking for a friendly, progress focused guild check us out at thecircleofthephoenix.gamerlaunch.com/

Check me out at Anook anook.com/aimora
    Options
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's more than just max craft level that improve your master writ RNG. This includes the number of blue and purple recipes known for provisioning, the number of runes learned for enchanting, the number of reagents known for alchemy, the number of traits researched for gear, and the number of purple non-crown exclusive motifs known.

If you're max crafter level but score low on the other criteria, you have a very, very low likelihood of getting master writs. It will happen every now and then, but rarely. If this is true for you, your account isn't bugged, you're just getting bad luck on already low RNG odds.
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    Options
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Do you have all 9 traits researched on all armor/weapon items? Do you know (to completion - 13 of 14 pages do not count, for example) many rare and exotic motifs? Do you know lots of gold and purple recipes on your provisioner? The master writ drops are never guaranteed, but it is not a flat drop rate for being Level 50 in crafting profession. The chances get higher and higher the more underlying crafting knowledge you know. You need to be able to actually craft just about anything and everything a fellow player could possibly request (e.g., rare stuff like "Nirnhoned Akaviri Shield") to get highest chance at master writs.
    Options
  • Reorx_Holybeard
    Reorx_Holybeard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chances for master writs seem to range from around 1% to 10% depending on what applicable bonuses you have for each skill (purple/gold recipes known, traits researched, full motifs known, reagents known, runes translated).

For example, if all your 7 writs were done on characters having the minimum 1% chance it would take you on average 10 days (or 70 writs total) for you to just get 1 master writ. If you had the max chance of 10% for each character you would get an average of 1 master writ each day.
    Reorx Holybeard -- NA/PC
    Founder/Admin of www.uesp.net -- UESP ESO Guilds
    Creator of the "Best" ESO Build Editor
    I'm on a quest to build the world's toughest USB drive!
    Options
  • Ebuntom
    Ebuntom
    Soul Shriven
    Bah.....wasn't this supposed to be the game to play the style you like to play? I do not like quests and dailies, I just want to go hunt and farm and craft. Games shouldn't have chores. My master crafter has all the traits and a couple full sets of exotic motif.
    Options
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ebuntom wrote: »
    Bah.....wasn't this supposed to be the game to play the style you like to play? I do not like quests and dailies, I just want to go hunt and farm and craft. Games shouldn't have chores. My master crafter has all the traits and a couple full sets of exotic motif.

Then just go hunt, farm, and craft and don't worry about master writs. Seriously. There are times when weeks go by and I don't do a single daily crafting writ. This is a game, not a job. :smile:
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
    Options
  • Surragard
    Surragard
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ebuntom wrote: »

Then just go hunt, farm, and craft and don't worry about master writs. Seriously. There are times when weeks go by and I don't do a single daily crafting writ. This is a game, not a job. :smile:

Can't agree more. The crafting writs are totally optional. You have to put in some grind and work for a low percentage chance to win something nice. It's just a gamble.
    I don't always drink Skooma, but when I do I go to the Southwall Corner Club. May you walk on warm sands my friends.
    Options
  • Ackwalan
    Ackwalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whatever RNG program ZOS uses, it is FUBAR. It seems to get 'stuck' at times making the odds of getting master writs or tempers (whatever has a RNG tied to it) next to nil.
    Options
  • CrazySonoran
    CrazySonoran
    ✭✭✭
    I have 4 characters at 50 in their respective crafts. My main crafter has all but 10 items at 9 traits the rest at 8 traits, he also has about 4-5 of the appropriate motifs completed as well as all Alchemy and Enchanting traits/reagents learned. The other 3 crafters have 3-4 traits per item, no provisioning recipes and minimal alchemy reagents learned (no enchanting in the 3). I have averaged 20 writs a day since Homestead went live and 1 master writ per day on average. Only 3 of the master writs were obtained on my main crafter with all of the best stats, so I think there is a problem with the system.
    Options
  • inchdixprb19_ESO
    inchdixprb19_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I have a master crafter who has full 9 traits, knows all motifs bar 3 of the latest, knows every alchemy trait and rune and prob is missing a max of 15 provisioning recipes, yet the drop of a decent master writ for him is next to nothing.
    I have gotten 3 master writs on this char since homestead launch, the best of which gave 40 vouchers...... and yes he does every writ every day.....
    so, i would say its broke
    Options
  • oibam
    oibam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My main crafter gets less writs than my twink with no researches, no motifs.
    Options
  • Artemiisia
    Artemiisia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    guys, its not enough just having lvl 50 in crafting u need this:
    1. Know crap lots of motifs
    2. Have researched lots or all triats
    3. Learned a crap lots of recipes for provisnier
    4. Learned all potions
    5. Learned all different runes

Thats what a master crafter is, and is the way to up the chance of getting master writs

doing writs on a lvl 50 crafting, is almost 0% chance in getting them, if u dont have the listed things above.
    Options
  • Stopnaggin
    Stopnaggin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also heard that crafting achievements are involved. Deconning x pieces, gate ring x materials and refining x materials. So look at those as well.
    Options
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ackwalan wrote: »
    Whatever RNG program ZOS uses, it is FUBAR. It seems to get 'stuck' at times making the odds of getting master writs or tempers (whatever has a RNG tied to it) next to nil.

That is just the way that RNG works. In any random system, all of the possible responses are valid responses for the next time a response is needed. Because sample sizes can be low, relative to the drop rate, and RNG does allow for essentially unlimited repeat responses, people can misinterpret what is happening.

For some of these, ZOS needs to switch to a weighted RNG that takes into account the last time a favorable RNG response was issued. For random drops of specific items, this would make sense. Master writs, motif pages, recipe pages, and perfect roe come to mind. The way that this works is that the game tracks the number of attempts since you last got a specific reward and, when you drop significantly below the expected average, bumps you incrementally each time you attempt until you get it. This works best for single source items, vs items that can be found in multiple different ways. The purpose is just to ensure that someone does not get too unlucky. RNG assures us that these people do exist, and no one wants to be "that guy".

The main problem with that is that it does bump the number of rare items that are given out. The definition of average implies than half of the people attempting to get the item will take more than the average number of attempts to get it. Anything you do to mess with that changes the quantity of that specific item.

Now, of course, we are talking ZOS here. Their handle on quality, for the purpose of catching and fixing bugs and regressions prior to release, is not very good. We pretty much have to expect that RNG is going to hand us lemons, but we also have to expect that ZOS has unintentionally filled the dispenser with too many lemons. :unamused:

It is too early to really tell the difference between RNG lucky people, RNG unlucky people, and ZOS screw-ups.
    Edited by Elsonso on February 20, 2017 2:17PM
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
    Options
  • Elara_Northwind
    Elara_Northwind
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I have a similar problem. The first two days, I got loads of them (although they were all pretty rubbishy ones worth 2-10 vouchers) and since then, on 3 characters, I have got none, for days and days now :disappointed:

My friends are all getting loads, some of my friends are getting great ones worth 100s of vouchers, and everyday I get nothing. All of these characters who are doing the writs are level 50 in the crafting professions, so I just don't get it... I know rng can be bad in this game, and I usually have luck on my side in these things, but I have been crazy unlucky when it comes to the master writs. I don't think I am ever going to be able to craft myself a little skeleton friend :neutral:
    Sorcerer, Templar, Wolf Collector, Housing Addict!

GM of Salted Wings Tavern and Salted Wings Housing 🏠🌻

'A House is Built with Boards and Beams, a Home is Built with Love and Dreams'

Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/c/ElaraNorthwind
    Options
  • Elara_Northwind
    Elara_Northwind
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Dagoth_Rac wrote: »
    Do you have all 9 traits researched on all armor/weapon items? Do you know (to completion - 13 of 14 pages do not count, for example) many rare and exotic motifs? Do you know lots of gold and purple recipes on your provisioner? The master writ drops are never guaranteed, but it is not a flat drop rate for being Level 50 in crafting profession. The chances get higher and higher the more underlying crafting knowledge you know. You need to be able to actually craft just about anything and everything a fellow player could possibly request (e.g., rare stuff like "Nirnhoned Akaviri Shield") to get highest chance at master writs.

My friend got a master writ for 200 vouchers or so, and read it, but he doesn't know the traits, and is currently researching more in order to craft the item, he also didn't have the style motif, so I'm not 100% sure this is always the case...

Even if it were, I have 9 traits on everything myself and know most motifs, and I don't seem to be getting any master writs at all, only in the first couple of days.
    Sorcerer, Templar, Wolf Collector, Housing Addict!

GM of Salted Wings Tavern and Salted Wings Housing 🏠🌻

'A House is Built with Boards and Beams, a Home is Built with Love and Dreams'

Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/c/ElaraNorthwind
    Options
  • BreacaT
    BreacaT
    ✭✭✭
    Even knowing a lot of stuff doesn't help.

My main char is lvl 50 in all crafts and 9 traits where applicable with a stack load of motifs and provisioning recipes learnt. So far, 1 master provisioning writ since the update rewarding 2 writ vouchers.

My wife who is lvl 50 provisioning and mid-20's in wood/clothing/blacksmithing with no research, very few motifs but quite a few provisioning recipes has had six writs so far. Unfortunately for her they started with a 9-trait clothing writ, so that will take a while to complete!

Remember red = dead and a dead dd deals no dps.
    Options
  • Slurg
    Slurg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This staff post tells you what does and doesn't count to boost your chances:
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/3811984#Comment_3811984

But I'm here to tell you based on my experience there is still a lot of RNG involved.
    Happy All the Holidays To You and Yours!
    Remembering better days of less RNG in all the things.
    Options
  • cyberjanet
    cyberjanet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is all RNG. An alt who has maxed clothier, knows no motifs, doesn't have all the traits - gets more writs than my main equipment crafter. I think I hate the RNG almost as much as it hates me.

When the writs come down in price, I'll probably just buy them.
    Edited by cyberjanet on February 21, 2017 3:33PM
    Favourite NPC: Wine-For-All
    Mostly PC-EU , with a lonely little guy on NA.
    Options
  • dbrand001
    dbrand001
    ✭✭✭
    I am having the same problem here. My mastercrafter is 9 traits in everything Knows almost all the motifs, cooking recipes and etc.. Yet I have only gotten 1 master writ and it was for enchanting for 2 vouchers. I noticed at that time I got no gold mats. But any other time i am getting almost 2 gold mats a day from each craft other than provisioning and alchemy. I have more Temperss and kuta than i even know what to do with. I am guessing it is server wide because the prices on them them have come down considerably.
    Options
  • Molydeus
    Molydeus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a single character that I focus on, and he is a Master Crafter. I do all six normal writs per day on him. I've gotten three sealed writs since Homestead, one on the first day of the patch, then nothing until yesterday when I got another one and then today when I got yet another. However all three of those have only had 5 writs in them. I don't know how people are getting the ones with 200+.
    Options
  • Synfaer
    Synfaer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    cyberjanet wrote: »
    It is all RNG. An alt who has maxed clothier, knows no motifs, doesn't have all the traits - gets more writs than my main equipment crafter. I think I hate the RNG almost as much as it hates me.

When the writs come down in price, I'll probably just buy them.

I'm getting a lot more master writs on my main crafter (all traits & 90% motifs learned) than my other crafters...but RNG does stick its ugly head in. I have 5 blacksmith master writs from 13 writs and 0 from woodworking from the same amount; theoritically i should have the same chance to get a master writ from either craft since both crafts have all achievements & traits complete and the motif pool is the same for both...
    Options