The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Random dungeons not so random?

Lovelocke
Lovelocke
✭✭✭
I don't like the DLC dungeons. I find them very, very difficult. This in itself isn't so bad, but your group is invariably filled with low-level, new-to-the-game players, making any attempt to complete them nigh on impossible.

What usually ensues is 30 minutes of struggle followed by wipe after wipe.

I check the group I'm in before entering one and, if they're all non-champion level, I leave the group.

I know some players will be champion level on other characters and may be experienced in that dungeon, but so far even with a group of 561 heroes I've still never completed Cradle of Shadows.

So when I random queue and get a DLC dungeon I usually just drop group then go onto a different character to try there.

Anyway here's my issue: Random dungeons don't actually randomly select a dungeon, it seems to pull predominantly from the DLC dungeons.

Today for example I tried twice on my Templar healer; both Cradle of Shadows. First time I tried to complete the dungeon as it was all 561s, but failed. Second time I just logged onto a different character. On that character I random queued and got Cradle of Shadows. Switched to my other character, Cradle of Shadows. Back to my Templar, Cradle of Shadows.

So I "randomly" selected Cradle of Shadows 5 times on the trot?

Come on.

Anyway I've decided that once I've played through the DLC questing I'm just going to drop ESO plus, and not buy the DLC packs.

I really wish there was either;

a) a way to exclude certain dungeons from the random queue;
b) "random" to actually be random; or
c) have proper scaling if the group is all low level.

As it stands right now the only way to improve my dungeon experience is to stop giving Zenimax money.

But hey, we got a nice cat in the Crown store this week, so swings and roundabouts.
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does the random only match with other random searches?

Otherwise wouldn't it work like this.

3x people want daily (Cradle of Shadows) 1x person wants random (any) but those four make a group up perfectly so the random person who wanted anything is placed with the three who wanted the specific.

@Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Lovelocke
    Lovelocke
    ✭✭✭
    Turelus wrote: »
    Does the random only match with other random searches?

Otherwise wouldn't it work like this.

3x people want daily (Cradle of Shadows) 1x person wants random (any) but those four make a group up perfectly so the random person who wanted anything is placed with the three who wanted the specific.

I can understand that logic, but it's still not great when you're randomly queuing into the same dungeon over and over. I'd rather a longer wait and getting into a different one.

Although I must say, I can't imagine many people queuing into Cradle of Shadows...
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Random means "random" as in anything
    2. Specific is the way to exclude but you don't get the queue bonus

FYI: Make sure you have manually discovered all dungeons before you queue for randoms.
    Edited by NewBlacksmurf on February 20, 2017 8:41PM
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501