Maintenance for the week of July 8:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance - July 8
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – July 9, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – July 10, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – July 10, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

I'm coming home. Sir Copperfield explains why he's returning to Elder Scrolls Online.

Copperfield
Copperfield
✭✭✭
Before anyone ever cared what game I would play, I was a kid from Ultima Online. It’s where I walked. It’s where I ran. It’s where I cried. It’s where I bled. It holds a special place in my heart. Everyone remembers their first MMO and that's where the Legend of Sir Copperfield began. Ultima Online came out in 1994. Yes kids, MMO's have been out a long time. Since that time I have played Everquest, Anarchy Online, Dark Age of Camelot, World of Warcraft, Lord of the Rings Online and Elder Scrolls Online. I left ESO for Star Wars: The Old Republic in 2014.

Almost three years ago I was sitting in Rivenspire and thinking, this is really tough. I could feel it. I was leaving something I had spent a long time creating. If I had to do it all over again, I’d obviously do things differently, but I’d still have left. Star Wars, for me, has been almost like college for other kids. These past three years helped raise me into who I am. I became a better player and a better man. I learned from a fan base and gaming company that had been where I wanted to go. I will always think of Star Wars: The Old Republic as my second home. Without the experiences I had there, I wouldn’t be able to do what I’m doing today.

I’m doing this essay because I want an opportunity to explain myself uninterrupted. I don’t want anyone thinking: Star Wars is a garbage game, or they didn't add enough content. That's simply not the case.

When I left ESO the first time, I was on a mission. I was seeking gaming greatness, and I found it. I became a Legend. Legends do it across multiple gaming platforms and this is why the move was necessary. I was server first on countless honors. PVP, PVE, you name it.

I always believed that I’d return to ESO and finish my gaming career there. I just didn’t know when. After the last Star Wars expansion, coming back wasn’t even a thought. But I have two boys and my wife, Jennifer, is pregnant with a girl. I started thinking about what it would be like to raise my family in Auridon. I looked at other games, but I wasn’t going to leave Star Wars for anywhere except ESO. The more time passed, the more it felt right. This is what makes me happy.

To make the move I needed the support of my wife and my mom, who can be very tough. I was ridiculed when I left. Friends, guildmates etc we're very hard on me and even burned my armor in a ceremony. My emotions were more mixed. It was easy to say, “OK, I don’t want to deal with these people ever again.” But then you think about the other side. What if I were a kid who looked up to a gaming legend, and that legend made me want to do better in my own life, and then he left? How would I react? I’ve met with my former guild, face-to-face, man-to-man. We’ve talked it out. Everybody makes mistakes. I’ve made mistakes as well. Who am I to hold a grudge?

I’m not promising PVP greatness. I know how hard that is to deliver. I'm not ready right now. No way. Of course, I want to be a household name again, but I’m realistic. It will be a long process, much longer than it was in 2014. My patience will get tested. I know that. I’m going into a situation with new skills and a revamped champion system.

But this is not just about the game or Zenimax. I feel my calling here goes above gaming. I have a responsibility to lead, in more ways than one, and I take that very seriously. My presence can make a difference in Star Wars, but I think it can mean more in ESO. I want kids and new gamers , like the hundreds of game coding majors I sponsor through my foundation, to realize that there’s no better place to game. Maybe some of them will come here after college and develop a game changing Add-On. That would make me smile. The ESO community, which has struggled so much, needs all the talent it can get.

In ESO, nothing is given. Everything is earned. You work for what you have.

I’m ready to accept the challenge. I’m coming home.

-Sir Copperfield
Edited by Copperfield on February 17, 2017 8:55PM
  • Katahdin
    Katahdin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Okay....
    I have no idea who you are, but
    Welcome back I guess
    Beta tester November 2013
    Options
  • AlMcFly
    AlMcFly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JNDA_f-maxage-0.gif
    Options
  • NordSwordnBoard
    NordSwordnBoard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Allow me to introduce you to @Serjustin19

May the farce be with you.
    Fear is the Mindkiller
    Options
  • The_Lex
    The_Lex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I don't know you, but welcome back.

In ESO, nothing is given. Everything is earned. You work for what you have.

You don't know about the proc set meta, do you? :D

Edited by The_Lex on February 17, 2017 8:31PM
    Options
  • Cadbury
    Cadbury
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful

I feel this song is apropos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIUw4ZS1J_A
    "If a person is truly desirous of something, perhaps being set on fire does not seem so bad."
    Options
  • Balamoor
    Balamoor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sir Copperfield you old braggart

How the devil are you? Haven't seen you since pre LK WoW.
    Options
  • johu31
    johu31
    ✭✭✭✭
    TL:DR
    Options
  • Izaki
    Izaki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ... what? ...
    @ Izaki #PCEU
    #FrenchKiss #GoneFor2YearsAndMyGuildDoesn'tRaidAnymore
    #MoreDPSthanYou
    #Stamblade
    Options
  • cjthibs
    cjthibs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You needed your mom's support to switch video games?
    [snip]

removed video with profanity
    Edited by ZOS_DaryaK on February 17, 2017 10:04PM
    Options
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    "Before anyone ever cared what game I would play...."

Sooo... you're saying someone cares now?? Good for you, I suppose... :confused:
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

Options
  • Crumorn
    Crumorn
    ✭✭✭
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/78675/im-an-mmo-legend-my-gaming-resume-is-inside-and-boy-do-i-have-a-major-complaint

If you want to know more about him you can read this. I also suggest you read peoples comments on this forum as well. It's old but it is enlightening.
    Options
  • Doctordarkspawn
    Doctordarkspawn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Firstly, no idea who the hell you are.

Secondly, in ESO, the only thing you earn is a few artificial achievements for playing how the devs and meta dictate you should play. I dont see that as a particularly worthwhile achievement for all the time optimization takes. But it seems like your not talking about that. Frankly, I have no idea what this post was. It just sort of meandered around and didn't have a point.

Welcome back, but uh...point, still dont see one.
    Edited by Doctordarkspawn on February 17, 2017 8:44PM
    Options
  • Rouven
    Rouven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This was totally worth it, good chuckle, thank you ... sir. Very sad to hear that your career is already finished and that this will be your last endeavour, I hope you will make it count.

(...)
    I always believed that I’d return to ESO and finish my gaming career there. (...)

Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time. ~ Terry Pratchett
    Options
  • cjthibs
    cjthibs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crumorn wrote: »
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/78675/im-an-mmo-legend-my-gaming-resume-is-inside-and-boy-do-i-have-a-major-complaint

If you want to know more about him you can read this. I also suggest you read peoples comments on this forum as well. It's old but it is enlightening.

This dude says in this post that his first MMO was Asheron's Call...but in this linked post he claims to have been 'part of the fellowship' that killed Lord British in UO. Which happened in the UO beta...2 years before Asheron's Call was released. That incident happened in 1997, AC was released in 1999.

Additionally, the guy who killed Lord British did it alone, not in a group, which also contradicts what he stated on that post.

[snip]
    [edited for baiting]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on January 13, 2024 7:47PM
    Options
  • ZOS_DaryaK
    ZOS_DaryaK
    admin
    We've closed this thread as it's about an individual person, and has become rather inflammatory
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Options
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.