The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

How do I place a book in a bookcase? (Homestead)

itehache
itehache
✭✭✭✭
Hi all!

I have seen some posts of people showing how difficult it is to place a book in the bookcase, but I could not find any post about this.

How on earth do I place a book in the bookcase? I mean, I have many books in the eidetic memory, how do I "transfer" them to the bookcase?

Any insight would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Best Answers

• DigitalShibby
    DigitalShibby
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those ones can't be placed. Only decorative books with no function can be placed.
    Answer ✓
  • DigitalShibby
    DigitalShibby
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    itehache wrote: »
    Those ones can't be placed. Only decorative books with no function can be placed.

Ohh no way?!

I thought all the books i have been discovering while exploring would be available.

So, only decorative books, right?

Yes, at the moment the books collected in the world with actual text cannot be placed in your home.
    Answer ✓
  • DigitalShibby
    DigitalShibby
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tabbycat wrote: »

Ohh no way?!

I thought all the books i have been discovering while exploring would be available.

Well sort of yes, sort of no. You can buy reprints of some books from the Mage's guild. For example, if you read all of Glenumbra Lore, you can buy the set of 10 individual books to place in your house.

Or in other terms, you can buy decorative non functioning books after discovering enough books that actually function. Lol
    Answer ✓
  • Tabbycat
    Tabbycat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Ohh no way?!

Well sort of yes, sort of no. You can buy reprints of some books from the Mage's guild. For example, if you read all of Glenumbra Lore, you can buy the set of 10 individual books to place in your house.

Or in other terms, you can buy decorative non functioning books after discovering enough books that actually function. Lol

You can read them after you've placed them in the house so they are still functional.
    Founder and Co-GM of The Psijic Order Guild (NA)
    0.016%
    Answer ✓
  • Tabbycat
    Tabbycat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I gave up trying to place my books on the shelves. They are actually sitting on top of the bookshelf.

I think I may decorate the shelves with vases, serving bowls and platters.

As for the physical books themselves, they are sold in sets for 5k from the mages guild. The books in the set are single books so don't buy more than one "set" at a time.

Be careful how you place them. If you don't do it right you won't be able to read them.
    Edited by Tabbycat on February 16, 2017 3:06AM
    0.016%
  • itehache
    itehache
    ✭✭✭✭

Ohh no way?!

• Tabbycat
    Tabbycat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Ohh no way?!

Well sort of yes, sort of no. You can buy reprints of some books from the Mage's guild. For example, if you read all of Glenumbra Lore, you can buy the set of 10 individual books to place in your house. If placed correctly, they can be read.
    Edited by Tabbycat on February 16, 2017 3:08AM
    0.016%
  • DigitalShibby
    DigitalShibby
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I gave up trying to place my books on the shelves. They are actually sitting on top of the bookshelf.

As for the physical books themselves, they are sold in sets for 5k from the mages guild. The books in the set are single books so don't buy more than one "set" at a time.

Be careful how you place them. If you don't do it right you won't be able to read them.

Wait you can actually read the books you place? Well that is news to me and very cool if true.
  • itehache
    itehache
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Tabbycat

@DigitalShibby

Oh ok, it's not thaaat bad then :smile: I can still buy them, cool!

Thank you all for your help :smiley:
  • Tabbycat
    Tabbycat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Wait you can actually read the books you place? Well that is news to me and very cool if true.

Yes, you can. But you must be very careful when placing them with the housing editor. If you don't do it right and they clip into anything, you have to retrieve them and start over again. That's why mine are stacked at the top of the bookcase instead of in it. Otherwise it can't be read.
    Edited by Tabbycat on February 16, 2017 3:12AM
    0.016%
  • DigitalShibby
    DigitalShibby
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, you can. But you must be very careful when placing them with the housing editor. If you don't do it right and they clip into anything, you have to retrieve them and start over again. That's why mine are stacked at the top of the bookcase instead of in it. Otherwise it can't be read.

Thanks for the info on that! :)
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know how other people did it, but here's how I placed my books:

1) Go into 1st person view (it's just slightly easier this way)
    2) Attempt to place a book on the bookcase
    3) Realize it isn't working
    4) Cry
    5) Take a swig of whiskey
    6) Try again
    7) Throw your whiskey bottle at the wall in frustration
    8) Go for attempt # 37 (or whatever number you're up to by this point)
    9) Give up and start placing them laying flat, on top of things.

B)
  • Inhuman003
    Inhuman003
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a question about those books now that you can buy from the enchantment vendor can you read those books now or they just for display?
    Edited by Inhuman003 on February 16, 2017 6:25AM
  • greylox
    greylox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unplaced readable books around the place, they also don't stack on top of each other....Some are lying flat on shelves in between decorative book piles.
    PC EU

House of the Black Lotus
    *{Smokes-in-the-Shade }* (Mag pet Sorc Argonian, prolific thief, willing participant of the dark arts, gardener of exotic...herbs)
    {Lugdum The Mechanist} (Hybrid Orc Templar, collector of ancient Ayleid smoking pipes)
    {Rantoul} (Dark Elf Magknight, likes an ale between boss fights, has been known to offer daedric princes out in a fist fight)
    {Red, The Wanderer} (Bosmer stam sorc and hunter extraordinaire)
    {Shoots-For-Stars} (Argonian Mag pet Sorc Ice mage Healer)
    *{Jinny the spark }* (Sassy Imperial Stamplar)
    {Crezzi the Drifter} (Magblade khajiit burglar, available for questionable operations)
    {Grif the Despised} (StamKnight Tank Nord, Eastmarch Master Drinker and spinner of tall yarns)
    {Geraldine Stone-Heart} (High Elf MagSorc Ice Tank, Mystic, practitioner of the ancient arts)
    *{Anawinn}* (Stam pet Ward Redguard, Mother to a bear and an unruly Hunger,Librarian, field medic and natures fist)

{*}Mains
    { CP 900+ }

Caretaker of Battle Island (Grand Topal), the holiday destination for the discerning warrior
    Residing in Stay-Moist Mansion-Shadowfen - The Smoking Den (as of 6th feb 2017)

• DerpyShadowz
    DerpyShadowz
    ✭✭✭✭
    Inhuman003 wrote: »
    I have a question about those books now that you can buy from the enchantment vendor can you read those books now or they just for display?

They can be read when placed right, think of them like chairs, if they aren't quite right you cant use them.

And at the moment, placing functioning items inside of other items, like an empty bookcase for example doesn't allow function of the item because of the boundaries of the bookcase itself.
    Lurking in the shadows.
  • Ankael07
    Ankael07
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Inhuman003 wrote: »

They can be read when placed right, think of them like chairs, if they aren't quite right you cant use them.

And at the moment, placing functioning items inside of other items, like an empty bookcase for example doesn't allow function of the item because of the boundaries of the bookcase itself.

If this is how developers are building a world its no wonder why we arent getting a DLC every quarter
    If you want me to reply to your comment type @Ankael07 in it.
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SydneyGrey wrote: »

4) Cry
    6) Try again

B)

Since I was going for a Redguard style, I just bought the pre-filled shelves (Redguard Bookcase, Piled and Redguard Bookcase, Full). Lot's of them floating around guild stores now.
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on February 16, 2017 11:03PM
  • Tyrion87
    Tyrion87
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Guys, what about these book stacks (unreadable ones):
    Book-Row-Long.jpg
    Book-Stack-Tall.jpg
    Book-Stack-Decorative.jpg

Can we craft them/buy them from vendors or are they only crown store exclusives?

If the latter... well, the bookcases and bookshelves are the biggest disappointment for me so far. There is no reason to have them in our houses!
  • Tavore1138
    Tavore1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I foolishly bought all of these, realised quickly that I could not get then on a shelf and so had to artistically distribute nearly 300 books around my house... ONE.BY.ONE.

To be fair the final effect is quite pleasing but boy was I effed off by the time I was done.

I then removed all the shelf units and stacked them in my inn room (since there is no way to be rid of unwanted furnishing that came via a crown purchase).
    GM - Malazan
    Raid Leader - Hungry Wolves
    Legio Mortuum
  • wenchmore420b14_ESO
    wenchmore420b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The Interactive or readable ones are the "Shalidor's Library" collection. They are listed in your achievements. There are a total of 297 books in approx 26 containers bought from the Mages Guild Mystic. Total cost for whole collection, 157,000 gold+/-.
    The containers can not be deposited in bank. Once you open one, they contain 10 books on avg. Some more, some less.
    Each book counts as 1 item slot.
    Once you open the containers and retrieve the books, follow these instructions:

4) Cry
    6) Try again

B)

Bottom line, the "Readable Books" can not be put in bookcases and still be usable. Period.
    Drakon Koryn~Oryndill, Rogue~Mage,- CP ~Doesn't matter any more
    NA / PC Beta Member since Nov 2013
    GM~Conclave-of-Shadows, EP Social Guild, ~Proud member of: The Wandering Merchants, Phoenix Rising, Imperial Trade Union & Celestials of Nirn
    Sister Guilds with: Coroner's Report, Children of Skyrim, Sunshine Daydream, Tamriel Fisheries, Knights Arcanum and more
    "Not All Who Wander are Lost"
    #MOREHOUSINGSLOTS
    “When the people that can make the company more successful are sales and marketing people, they end up running the companies. The product people get driven out of the decision making forums, and the companies forget what it means to make great products.”

_Steve Jobs (The Lost Interview)
  • Tabbycat
    Tabbycat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    You can line them up on a flat surface (as if you were placing them on shelves) which is nice. I plan to eventually make bookends for them so they don't look so odd just sitting there. As far as I can tell, you can't stack them flat though. Your best bet is to line them up on regular shelves and not bother with bookshelves until ZOS gets around to fixing them.
    Edited by Tabbycat on February 16, 2017 1:07PM
    0.016%
  • Tyrion87
    Tyrion87
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

4) Cry
    6) Try again

B)

This is exactly what I ended up with... And to ensure more "real" look of these laying books, I put them in disarray, sometimes one on top of the other. Well, some of my books are still floating in the air but I just no longer have patience for this. It's a magic library after all so they can remain floating for a while...