The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Flickering Grass [FIXED] (Video included)

Voxicity
Voxicity
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
17.4.1 April 3rd driver seems to have fixed this issue :)

So since homestead I've been having some crazy texture problems. I took a screenshot back then of when it got really bad: w9fg94.png

But I updated my graphics card drivers today and this seemed to have solved that issue entirely

However I'm now faced with a new problem which is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BozxZiRpnok&nohtml5=False

I know it's not ideal to record it off my phone but hopefully you can still see the flickering that's happening constantly and actually starting to hurt my eyes. I can turn the grass off anyway when it gets too bad but yeah, no idea what's going on really and I'm not really a techy guy.

Using a laptop with an AMD radeon 7900 HD gpu. It's like 4 years old so could this stuff be due to the graphics card breaking or is it something I can fix otherwise? Cheers
Edited by Voxicity on April 5, 2017 3:42PM
  • Voxicity
    Voxicity
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fixed by clean uninstall & reinstall of latest drivers

derp

Edit: actually i think i reverted back to older drivers which stopped the flickering, but the problem still persists as of the 15th with 17.3.2 AMD driver
    Edited by Voxicity on March 17, 2017 1:08PM
  • Bardolf
    Bardolf
    I just started having this problem today as well. Already at my latest driver version. I have no idea what else to do.
    -Characters-PC-NA-
    Dar'Vashirr
    Breathes-In-Darkness
    Rythe Ohlin
    Bardolf Wolfnacht
    Walks-The-Forest
  • RinaldoGandolphi
    RinaldoGandolphi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bardolf wrote: »
    I just started having this problem today as well. Already at my latest driver version. I have no idea what else to do.

What your seeing above is called artifacting. in the OP case it was a faulty driver. Try using Display Driver Uninstaller and uninstalling your drivers and then installing them clean. If that doesn't work take a can of compressed air and blow out the inside of your machine, its getting too hot.
    Rinaldo Gandolphi-Breton Sorcerer Daggerfall Covenant
    Juste Gandolphi Dark Elf Templar Daggerfall Covenant
    Richter Gandolphi - Dark Elf Dragonknight Daggerfall Covenant
    Mathias Gandolphi - Breton Nightblade Daggerfall Covenant
    RinaldoGandolphi - High Elf Sorcerer Aldmeri Dominion
    Officer Fire and Ice
    Co-GM - MVP

Sorcerer's - The ONLY class in the game that is punished for using its class defining skill (Bolt Escape)

"Here in his shrine, that they have forgotten. Here do we toil, that we might remember. By night we reclaim, what by day was stolen. Far from ourselves, he grows ever near to us. Our eyes once were blinded, now through him do we see. Our hands once were idle, now through them does he speak. And when the world shall listen, and when the world shall see, and when the world remembers, that world will cease to be. - Miraak

• Bardolf
    Bardolf
    Bardolf wrote: »

What your seeing above is called artifacting. in the OP case it was a faulty driver. Try using Display Driver Uninstaller and uninstalling your drivers and then installing them clean. If that doesn't work take a can of compressed air and blow out the inside of your machine, its getting too hot.

I guess I'll give reinstalling the drivers again a shot, I just sprayed out my computers innards not to long ago, so I'm not sure if that's the case, though it never hurts to try again. I'm not getting what he has in the picture, just the flickering grass from the video.
    -Characters-PC-NA-
    Dar'Vashirr
    Breathes-In-Darkness
    Rythe Ohlin
    Bardolf Wolfnacht
    Walks-The-Forest
  • Exlord
    Exlord
    Soul Shriven
    I just started to have this problem after switching to my new VGA.
    Fresh installation of Windows 10 x64 + ASUS ROG STRIX RX480 8GB with latest driver + 16GB RAM.

how can i fix it ?
    Edited by Exlord on February 23, 2017 11:39AM
  • Bardolf
    Bardolf
    Exlord wrote: »
    I just started to have this problem after switching to my new VGA.
    Fresh installation of Windows 10 x64 + ASUS ROG STRIX RX480 8GB with latest driver + 16GB RAM.

how can i fix it ?

I fixed it by just rolling back my drivers.
    -Characters-PC-NA-
    Dar'Vashirr
    Breathes-In-Darkness
    Rythe Ohlin
    Bardolf Wolfnacht
    Walks-The-Forest
  • dzugarueb17_ESO
    dzugarueb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Got flickering grass (or is it grass shadows) after updating my AMD drivers today. Rolling back driver fixed it.

Driver version where everything works: 21.19.137.514, 11/21/2016
    Driver version where things are broken: 21.19.519.2

Will tell AMD about this.
  • Bardolf
    Bardolf
    Got flickering grass (or is it grass shadows) after updating my AMD drivers today. Rolling back driver fixed it.

Driver version where everything works: 21.19.137.514, 11/21/2016
    Driver version where things are broken: 21.19.519.2

Will tell AMD about this.

Yea, I was using AMD too.
    -Characters-PC-NA-
    Dar'Vashirr
    Breathes-In-Darkness
    Rythe Ohlin
    Bardolf Wolfnacht
    Walks-The-Forest
  • oldrich.nesvadbaeb17_ESO
    Got the same problem after todays maintenance, also updated latest AMD drivers (17.2.1.) during pause...Went back to 17.1.2, still buggy, Unigine Valley test clear, 3D Mark Fire Strike clear, WoT no problem, Grim Dawn no problem on 17.1.2...
    So choose clear installation of new version again, still flickering (gras and some taxtures on horizont). Try to download couple older drivers and use DDU...

EDIT:
    after DDU - WHQL drivers 16.12.2 works for me
    AMD Radeon RX 470
    Intel i5 4460
    Edited by oldrich.nesvadbaeb17_ESO on February 27, 2017 9:12PM
    50@710 - AD PetSorc, EP MagSorc, DC Magblade PvP, DC Magplar (main ATM), EP Magden,
    lvl 31 EP Mag DK, lvl 22 EP MagCro, lvl 17 Marcanist

Playing since beta now and then
  • MagicalSociety
    MagicalSociety
    ✭✭✭
    i just turned off grass until it gets fixed
    Guild Founder of Magical Society aka @Ahlfs

Get ESO Assistant Here!

Magical Society's Discord
  • Celdric
    Celdric
    Soul Shriven
    Same Problem here
    Latest drivers makes gras glickering :o/
    deinstall and reinstall drivers didnt work for me.
    Eso support did me reinstall eso ^^
    Edited by Celdric on March 1, 2017 7:31PM
  • Bardolf
    Bardolf
    Trexton wrote: »
    i just turned off grass until it gets fixed

While this works, it made the game way to weird to me. That little grass option makes a huge difference. To me at least.
    -Characters-PC-NA-
    Dar'Vashirr
    Breathes-In-Darkness
    Rythe Ohlin
    Bardolf Wolfnacht
    Walks-The-Forest
  • MajesticHaruki
    MajesticHaruki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same problem here. I just updated to 17.2.1 and logged back in. Grass is flickering and there are also some flickering black parts in draw distance. I also have an AMD GPU ^^
    PC/EU @MajThorax Sorcerer and Housing Decorator prodigy
    In my spare time I collect materials and run away from mudcrabs
  • the.playful.dreamerb14_ESO
    This is not actually 'solved' as the issue persists. We need a patch that is compatible with the latest AMD drivers.
  • Voxicity
    Voxicity
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is not actually 'solved' as the issue persists. We need a patch that is compatible with the latest AMD drivers.

Yeah, it's happened to me again since updating drivers :/
    Edited by Voxicity on March 5, 2017 7:09PM
  • MW2K
    MW2K
    ✭✭✭

Well, the thing that's changed here is the AMD driver, not the game. I would think this is far more AMD's problem than ZOS's. I have a 390x and upgraded to 17.2.1 and yes, the grass and some spell effects are terrible.

Asking ZOS to patch something that AMD created is a little strange.
    Lighting braziers and dispelling wards in Tamriel since 1994
    PeterRJG wrote: »

Well, the thing that's changed here is the AMD driver, not the game. I would think this is far more AMD's problem than ZOS's. I have a 390x and upgraded to 17.2.1 and yes, the grass and some spell effects are terrible.

Asking ZOS to patch something that AMD created is a little strange.

I'm asking them to get with AMD and figure it out.

The latest AMD driver released today (17.3.1) still causes flickering shadows.

The irony is that for graphical issues, the very first thing support will advise is to ensure your drivers are up to date. But in this case, we can't use the updated drivers for ESO because of these artifacts.
    Edited by the.playful.dreamerb14_ESO on March 7, 2017 1:59AM
    This is still not solved with the latest drivers (17.3.2) released on the 15th.
  • Kangaxx
    Kangaxx
    Same with me. AMD 390.
  • Voxicity
    Voxicity
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is still not solved with the latest drivers (17.3.2) released on the 15th.

Yeah same :/ I've edited the thread to not mislead people ,as it's clearly not solved. I realised I had actually reverted back to an older driver which got around the flickering grass but is not ideal of course... so yeah still waiting
  • Katahdin
    Katahdin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just updated drivers today and Ive got the same issue. Going to roll back to the previous drivers if I can.
    Beta tester November 2013
  • Kamatsu
    Kamatsu
    ✭✭✭✭
    For those who want to take ~5 minutes of their time, could you please report it to AMD? This is their fault, and the more reports they get the more likely they'll be to actually fix it.

http://www.amdsurveys.com/se.ashx?s=5A1E27D23A3DE979

That's the link to their problem reporting survey for reporting issue's with the latest drivers.
    o_O
  • Kangaxx
    Kangaxx
    Kamatsu wrote: »
    For those who want to take ~5 minutes of their time, could you please report it to AMD? This is their fault, and the more reports they get the more likely they'll be to actually fix it.

That's the link to their problem reporting survey for reporting issue's with the latest drivers.

Done!
  • Dog73
    Dog73
    Soul Shriven
    Confirmed that version 16.12.2 is working

The driver can be downloaded from the AMD website >> HERE << Once downloaded, ensure you uninstall the current software and drivers - if you are unsure how to do that, there is a link in the AMD page on the right hand side.

Please note, this page covers what I believe is the most common setup for users, and is suitable for:

Windows 10, 64 bit
    for use with the following cards:

Radeon™ RX 400 Series Graphics
    AMD Radeon™ Pro Duo
    AMD Radeon™ R9 Fury Series Graphics
    AMD Radeon™ R9 Nano Series Graphics
    AMD Radeon™ R9 300 Series Graphics
    AMD Radeon™ R9 200 Series Graphics
    AMD Radeon™ R7 300 Series Graphics
    AMD Radeon™ R7 2​00 Series Graphics
    AMD Radeon™ R5 300 Series Graphics
    AMD Radeon™ R5 200 Series Graphics
    AMD Radeon™ HD 8500 - HD 8900 Series Graphics
    AMD Radeon™ HD 7700 - HD 7900 Series Graphics

if you require a different OS or card, you can select your setup from the "Manually select your driver" section here
  • SamboNZ
    SamboNZ
    Soul Shriven
    Kamatsu wrote: »

Done - thanks, and yep it's still happening =(

@Twitch broadcaster | @Youtube Creator | Machinima Partner | Loud Kiwi
    http://www.twitch.tv/sambonz | http://www.youtube.com/sambonz
  • Arrchangell
    Arrchangell
    ✭✭✭
    I just got a new GPU, and then i see this. :(
    I also have the grass flickering, i can disable it, but in the distance it also flickers, and that i can't turn off. Please fix!
  • Mizar84
    Mizar84
    ✭✭
    Yeah, I updated the drivers to 17.3.2 for Mass Effect Andromeda and ESO got this grass + tree glitch in the distance.
    At the moment the only fix is rollbacking drivers. AMD Fury X here :/
    Neverending Dream Guild Master
  • Palidon
    Palidon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AMD released 17.3.3 on 3/21 but the issue has not been fixed. The only driver that does not have the flickering grass issue is 17.1.2 if you want to revert back to that one. Don't know who is a fault but there have been several AMD drivers released since 17.1.2.
  • TraumaHawk
    TraumaHawk
    ✭✭
    yea i was kinda wondering about todays release
    amd crimson relive
    AMD Crimson ReLive Edition 17.3.3 Beta

did they fix the grass flickering? i know they fixed it for andromeda
  • Kangaxx
    Kangaxx
    Palidon wrote: »
    AMD released 17.3.3 on 3/21 but the issue has not been fixed. The only driver that does not have the flickering grass issue is 17.1.2 if you want to revert back to that one. Don't know who is a fault but there have been several AMD drivers released since 17.1.2.

Thank you! Upgraded from 16.12.2 to 17.1.2. Everything is ok.
    Better than nothing)