Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Master Writs?

KimberlyannKitsuragi
I know 49 motifs. All my crafts are at max level (not just 50 but the level I can craft to). Is there a trick to getting master writs? I haven't gotten a single one
Feel free to add me. I'm part of the Gummy Guars PC/Mac NA server. Master crafter and working on getting 9 traits on everything
  • mateoz
    mateoz
    ✭✭✭
    do you have the 9 traits already researched on everything?
  • Katahdin
    Katahdin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Muse also have researched traits. The more you know = better chance apparently
    Edited by Katahdin on February 13, 2017 8:28PM
    Beta tester November 2013
  • KimberlyannKitsuragi
    Not every single thing no, but I'm well on my way with it :)
    Feel free to add me. I'm part of the Gummy Guars PC/Mac NA server. Master crafter and working on getting 9 traits on everything
  • wayfarerx
    wayfarerx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The RNG is a pain. I been doing writs every day on 8 characters and my all-traits / most motifs crafter character frequently gets zero writs.
    @wayfarerx - PC / North America / Aldmeri Dominion
  • Synfaer
    Synfaer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, the damn RNG has more influence than your skill.
    I do 36 writs per day have received 0-6 master writs out of these daily. averaging about 2-3 per day.
    I would guess the drop rate is about 5% for 'unskilled' crafters, 10% for 'average skilled' crafters and 15% for 'very skilled' crafters. Low drop rates across the board, but its better to be at 15% than 5%.
    I have got slightly more drops on my 'master crafter' who has all traits learned and 95% of the motifs/recipes/achievements, but its not an impressive difference with regard to all the work put in to getting him to that level.

Also, provisioning master writ rate is bjorked for some reason (probably tied to the writ level for some top level writs not actually being top level), which has probably dragged the averages down.
    Edited by Synfaer on February 14, 2017 4:31AM
  • LeglessUK
    LeglessUK
    ✭✭✭
    When handing in your completed writs to the quest boxes, what's the maximum level of the box for each profession, I know my clothing/blacksmithing/woodworking are level X, but I'm pretty sure my provisioning is only level VII. Is it possible for all 6 boxes to be level X?
  • Tevalaur
    Tevalaur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LeglessUK wrote: »
    When handing in your completed writs to the quest boxes, what's the maximum level of the box for each profession, I know my clothing/blacksmithing/woodworking are level X, but I'm pretty sure my provisioning is only level VII. Is it possible for all 6 boxes to be level X?

No, it's not possible. The level of the box will correspond to the passive skill that grants the ability to do that level writ -- not all of these reach "10" like the equipment crafting lines do.
    Is Uncle John's band calling you? Do you daydream about Sugar Magnolias? Is your favorite sunflower a China Cat? Tired of Truckin' alone to Terrapin Station? If so, share some Space with other hippies & deadheads in the guild Sunshine Daydream! Send a message in game (PC-NA) to Kaibeth for your invitation.
  • LeglessUK
    LeglessUK
    ✭✭✭
    Tevalaur wrote: »
    No, it's not possible. The level of the box will correspond to the passive skill that grants the ability to do that level writ -- not all of these reach "10" like the equipment crafting lines do.
    Thanks' for clearing that up for me :)
  • leandro.800ub17_ESO
    leandro.800ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am also intriged by the way it calculates.

So i have 3 chars. Main with 23k achiv points all researched all motifs and max on all. Second toon with half the motifs and researches. Third toon with just level 50 on craftings and blue motifs

A week as gone by and my main had only a 2 voucher enchanting master and a 6 voucher woodcrafting
    The second toon has gotten a 6 voucher woodcraft and 3 enchantings , 2 vouchers each
    The third toon as gotten a 36 voucher enchanting one and a 2 voucher enchanting
    Total 58 voucher in one week.

Conclusion: Dont buy motifs or reseach anything on secondary toons. More toons with only 50 in crafts in the way to go

RNG is still the king
  • SGT_Wolfe101st
    SGT_Wolfe101st
    ✭✭✭✭✭

So i have 3 chars. Main with 23k achiv points all researched all motifs and max on all. Second toon with half the motifs and researches. Third toon with just level 50 on craftings and blue motifs

A week as gone by and my main had only a 2 voucher enchanting master and a 6 voucher woodcrafting
    The second toon has gotten a 6 voucher woodcraft and 3 enchantings , 2 vouchers each

Conclusion: Dont buy motifs or reseach anything on secondary toons. More toons with only 50 in crafts in the way to go

RNG is still the king

This is very telling, Tin Foil Hat Time, but I find it odd that the more knowledgeable a toon the less likely they will be to get the MCW. The drop rate was to be based on knowledge but it appears that it is based on the lack of knowledge. The coding is either messed up or intentionally driving less knowledgeable toons to go get that knowledge. Good news, we have a store for that.
    PS4 -NA AD

Wood Elf - StamNB - DPS
    Nord - MagDK - Tank
    High Elf - MagSorc - DPS
    Dark Elf - Mag Warden- Healer
  • Synfaer
    Synfaer
    ✭✭✭✭✭

RNG is still the king

Enchanting & Alchemy are the easiest to get maximum skill in (achievements are basic & no traits/motifs required) , so you would expect to get more of these master writs across a range of writ crafters.
    My main crafter with 95% motifs & all traits has got a few more blacksmith & clothing master writs than the mediocre crafters and the value of the writs was higher (2x MW in the 80's).
    Way too early yet for any meaningful stats or theories though.....
  • KimberlyannKitsuragi
    I got my first writ today and opened it (so it showed in my journal thus destroying it in my bag) only to realize to get the style for it I needed to go to IC and grind (which will probably be awhile since I'm not done with PvE yet. So it's destroyed and I didn't sell it. I feel so stupid