Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Confusion on resource gathering

auronessb16_ESO
auronessb16_ESO
✭✭✭
For the past week or so, I've noticed an odd behavior with my resources. A couple weeks ago, I re-spec my skills, and took most of the points out of my woodworking and clothier skill lines, but the skill levels themselves are still quite high. Now when I am find resources, I find voidwood or maple, but never anything like yew or oak. I find voidweed or flax, but never cotton. Am I getting the high level mats because of my actual skill level, and the low level mats because I don't have the points invested in the gathering skills? Is there anyway to get the mats in the middle (cotton or oak for example)?

Best Answers

• MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You should be able to find mats that match your character level, and then mats that match your crafting level. By crafting level it means the highest level of item you can craft. So if you put 0 skill points into blacksmithing (even if blacksmithing skill itself is high level) you will find some Iron Ore, and some of whatever mat matches your character level.

The only way to get mats outside of this is to play alts that leave their crafting skills t one of those certain levels. ALSO, when you do crafting writs (equipment ones) any time you do not receive a survey report, you will receive a container of materials that do not match what you normally find.
    Edited by MissBizz on February 13, 2017 5:49PM
    Lone Wolf HelpFor the solo players who know, sometimes you just need a hand.PC | NA | AD-DC-EP | Discord
    Answer ✓
  • Reivax
    Reivax
    ✭✭✭✭
    It seems it's half your character's level, and half your score in that first passive skill.
    Example, I have CP 220 character with 50 in woodworking, but only 1 pt in the Woodworking passive.
    I find maple half the time, and ruby ash about half the time.
    If I raised my Woodworking passive to 2, I'd find oak half the time, and ruby ash half the time, and so on.

Since One Tamriel, you will find this in anywhere you go. The material you find is not leveled to the area, it is always leveled to you.
    In short, once you put two points in Woodworking passive, I don't think you will ever find Maple again.

My same CP 220 character has 50 in Blacksmithing and a 4 in that first Metalworking passive. I find Dwarven ore half the time and Rubedite ore the other half. No matter where I go, no exceptions.

To get materials you can't harvest yourself, you have to use the guild store. I find it toughest to find any materials for the 7-8 pt passive stuff. Example, Galatite metal was much harder to find in a guild store than Iron or Rubedite
    Edited by Reivax on February 13, 2017 6:02PM
    Answer ✓
  • auronessb16_ESO
    auronessb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Ah, I see now. That explains things. Thanks. it also pointed out a good gold making opportunity I ha dnot even thought of.