Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Which Gear, Attribute point, and Playstyle Combos Are viable?

oneshot_onekill
When it comes to min/maxing (don't know if I'm using that phrase right) a character, for the most part, it can be simple. I have seen people say things like "don't split your attribute points up becuase then you don't really be good at anything". Other things, like "magicka users should use light armor because the light armor passives help magicka" are also fairly self explanatory.

But the more I look, the more I see exceptions to certain aspects of making a build. For example, I see dps pvp builds using heavy armor, even though medium armor might give them more stamina (I'm assuming they are looking for more survivability). But I'm not sure which is better.

Another example is when making a tank playstyle. I've seen people put 0 attribute points in health, but wouldn't someone think that putting 0 in health would affect them negatively?

I guess what I'm trying to ask is this: when making a build of any type, are there certain rules to 1. Completely avoid or you will have a *** build 2. Are on a case by case bases depending on your build and 3. You should probably do to make your build better, and what, in your opinion, are these rules?

Sorry if I worded this awkwardly
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Completely avoid:

1. Running vet dungeons naked.
    2. Land wars in Asia. Or Elsweyr
    3. Asking altmer to show you his staff. Best case he talks about staves for three hours. Worst case...barf.

Seriously, though, there's no answer to your question. ESO is complex enough that there's no exactly perfect way to gear a character. Are there general rules? Sure. Go read the ten million pages of guides and strategies...then toss them out next week when update 13 hits. But what works best in general isn't the same as what will work best for you. Maybe you're very lucky and you don't need a piece of heavy on your stamblade. Another player who doesn't want to run the same heals might be dead without it.

This is part of what makes the game fun. When I gear a new vet character, it takes a lot of work and experimenting to figure out how they'll best play for me.

• Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The reason most builds ignore putting points into health is because it's unnecessary for most DPS builds. The minimum health (at least I know the old school thought process) is 18k-20k, with food and undaunted passives you're practically there already.

Then the points in magicka or stamina add to your damage.

My own personal rules are:
    1.3 - 2k regen
    18-40k health
    Resistance is whatever it is (most penetration makes it inconsistent)
    29-50k of desired resource pool
    2k minimum unbuffed weapon or magicka damage

It's not so bad to give up some damage for utility. The burst meta is real, however you can easily have a "brawler" build (these are what I make now) that are more consistent damage/less burst high survivability.

As for min max, i'm seeing how diverse I can make a viable build.

Right now my pet project (just an example) is a magicka WW, so far it's been more successful than I would have thought :)
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • oneshot_onekill
    davey1107 wrote: »
    Completely avoid:

3. Asking altmer to show you his staff. Best case he talks about staves for three hours. Worst case...barf.

Seriously, though, there's no answer to your question. ESO is complex enough that there's no exactly perfect way to gear a character. Are there general rules? Sure. Go read the ten million pages of guides and strategies...then toss them out next week when update 13 hits. But what works best in general isn't the same as what will work best for you. Maybe you're very lucky and you don't need a piece of heavy on your stamblade. Another player who doesn't want to run the same heals might be dead without it.

This is part of what makes the game fun. When I gear a new vet character, it takes a lot of work and experimenting to figure out how they'll best play for me.

But I'm asking YOUR opinion. For example, I'll give an easy one. "Don't divide all three of your attribute points up unless you want an overall weak build." Here's another one "don't divide up your armor types equally. Either have a 5-1-1 pit or do all of one type"

You see what I mean? These are easy ones though. I'm kind of looking for some "rules" or maybe even a better term, "guidelines" for making a build.

Breaking up guidelines into categories such as 1. Dont ever do these things 2. These are completely play style based
    Or something along those lines will help.
    The reason most builds ignore putting points into health is because it's unnecessary for most DPS builds. The minimum health (at least I know the old school thought process) is 18k-20k, with food and undaunted passives you're practically there already.

1.3 - 2k regen
    18-40k health

It's not so bad to give up some damage for utility. The burst meta is real, however you can easily have a "brawler" build (these are what I make now) that are more consistent damage/less burst high survivability.

Right now my pet project (just an example) is a magicka WW, so far it's been more successful than I would have thought :)

What about for tanks? I seen a build that put all the points into stamina. I didn't look at the gear though, maybe they covered it with armor enchantments. And with the regen, is that only for your main resource?
  • EldritchPenguin
    EldritchPenguin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Completely avoid:

But I'm asking YOUR opinion. For example, I'll give an easy one. "Don't divide all three of your attribute points up unless you want an overall weak build." Here's another one "don't divide up your armor types equally. Either have a 5-1-1 pit or do all of one type"

You see what I mean? These are easy ones though. I'm kind of looking for some "rules" or maybe even a better term, "guidelines" for making a build.

Breaking up guidelines into categories such as 1. Dont ever do these things 2. These are completely play style based

1.3 - 2k regen
    18-40k health

What about for tanks? I seen a build that put all the points into stamina. I didn't look at the gear though, maybe they covered it with armor enchantments. And with the regen, is that only for your main resource?
    Typically, tanks will pump up their maximum Stamina and their Magicka recovery. Stamina recovery is disabled while blocking, so increasing your Stamina is the best way to increase your block uptime. Then they increase Magicka recovery since it's the best way for them to periodically cast the Magicka abilities they need (which are a minority in a tank's kit, for the most part).
    Lilelle Adlis - Dark Elf Dragonknight

Vaynothah Sailenar - Dark Elf Templar

Sherivah Telvanni - Dark Elf Sorcerer

Nephiah Telvanni - Dark Elf Nightblade
  • oneshot_onekill
    Are tanks good in pvp?
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Completely avoid:

1.3 - 2k regen
    18-40k health

You typically go all attribute points into your preferred resource. Then typically all Enchantments in that same resource. To get the regen and higher resource pools, (or health) is where which sets you're using come into play. Then depending on your goals, which food/beverage to use and which mundus.

Usually a dps build that has regen covered via food/set uses thief or shadow mundus, builds that need more resource maintenance usually go for serpent/atronach for regen. Some magicka builds use Mage mundus because so much scales to magicka.
    Are tanks good in pvp?

Yes, but there are several kinds. There are healthar/blazing shield temps, DKs, Heavy NBs and even stuff like my Heavy Sorcs. They are viable, just gotta pick what your style is.
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Pallio
    Pallio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would wait to sort out what is bugged and what is nerfed intentionally.. lots of crap broken right now
  • oneshot_onekill
    do you guys think that since heavy armor applies mainly to health, where as medium and light armor help stamina and magicka respectively, that that would be "bad" to do? I mean isnt your goal as a dps character to buff whatever resource (stamina or magicka) as much as possible? or is the added benefit of heavy armor good enough that sacrificing a little damage is worth it?