Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Some simple housing questions

Reivax
Reivax
✭✭✭✭
I haven't gathered much materials yet, maybe enough to craft one thing, so I hesitate to waste them learning, so pardon these simple questions...

All my players can enter and travel to all my houses? They'll all enter and see the same decorations or furniture?

If I make something, like a bed or shelf, and I place it in my pitiful little room at Rosy Lion, can I later move it to a new home I have?

Are the decorations bound once placed? or can you use for a bit, then sell or trade to another player?

• BlackSparrow
    BlackSparrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, all your characters can use all your houses. Houses are shared across you account, and that includes decoration. So if your main puts down a table in your inn room, Alt 1 can go in and interact with that table, and maybe add a plate to it or something.

Yep, you can move furniture between homes. To take a placed item, you can go into the editor, select the item, and press R to return it to your inventory. Then, just carry it to your new home and place it there.

Once you place an item, it is account-bound. So, you can't place an item in your inn room, then decide you're going to try to sell it. Once you place an item, it's yours forever. - Nope, this only applies to achievement items. The more you know. :)
    Edited by BlackSparrow on February 20, 2017 7:26PM
    Living vicariously through my characters.

My Girls:
    "If you were trapped in your house for, say, a year, how would you pass the time?"

Nephikah the Houseless, dunmer assassin: "I suppose I could use the break. I have a lot of business holdings now that need management."
    Swum-Many-Waters, elderly argonian healer: "I think that I would enjoy writing a memoir."
    Silh'ki, khajiit warrior-chef: "Would this one be able to go outside, to the nearby river? It's hard to fish without water!"
    Peregrine Huntress, bosmer hunter: "Who is forcing me to stay inside, and where can I find them?"
    Lorenyawe, altmer mechanist: "And why would I want to go outside in the first place? Too much to be done in the workshop."
    Lorelai Magpie, breton master thief: "I'd go nuts. Lucky for me, I have a little experience sneaking out!"
    Rasheda the Burning Heart, redguard knight: "I would continue my training to keep my skills sharp."
    Hex-Eye Azabi, khajiit daedric priestess: "I suppose it would be lucky, then, that I built a shrine to Mephala in my backyard."
    Yngva Stormhammer, nord bandit (reformed...ish): "I hate being inside even when I'm not forced to be. GET. ME. OUT."
    Madam Argentia, vampire dunmer aristocrat: "I suppose it would be more of the same. I have a rather... contentious relationship with the sun."
    Mazie gra-Bolga, orc scout: "Uh... I'd have to house train my bear..."
    Felicia the Wanderer, imperial witch-for-hire: "What Lorelai said."
    Calico Jaka-dra, retired khajiit pirate: "This one would like a rest from her grand adventures. Her jewel shop runs out of stock!"
    Shimmerbeam, blind altmer psijic: "Provided that I am confined to Artaeum, I do not think I will want for things to occupy my time."
    Shauna Blackfire, redguard necromancer: "Sounds like paradise. I hate people."
    Kirniel the Undying, cursed bosmer warrior: "I would feel useless, not being able to fight."
    Echoes-from-Dragons, argonian who thinks she's a dragon: "All the better to count my hoard!"

(Signature idea shamelessly stolen from Abeille.)
  • Reivax
    Reivax
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you!
  • SGT_Wolfe101st
    SGT_Wolfe101st
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, all your characters can use all your houses. Houses are shared across you account, and that includes decoration. So if your main puts down a table in your inn room, Alt 1 can go in and interact with that table, and maybe add a plate to it or something.

Yep, you can move furniture between homes. To take a placed item, you can go into the editor, select the item, and press R to return it to your inventory. Then, just carry it to your new home and place it there.

Once you place an item, it is account-bound. So, you can't place an item in your inn room, then decide you're going to try to sell it. Once you place an item, it's yours forever.

The third point is unfortunate. I search, grind, find a recipe so I can make item x, I use item x for a while and then find item y, which is an upgrade to x, it would be nice not to just lose that effort but to be able to replace and sell or trade the original.
    PS4 -NA AD

Wood Elf - StamNB - DPS
    Nord - MagDK - Tank
    High Elf - MagSorc - DPS
    Dark Elf - Mag Warden- Healer
  • Reivax
    Reivax
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have another question, I'll just add it here.
    If I buy a furnished house with Crowns, can i move the furnishings that come with it same like moving the ones i make? or are the purchased furnishings stuck to the house they were bought with?
  • lygerseye
    lygerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Once you place an item, it is account-bound. So, you can't place an item in your inn room, then decide you're going to try to sell it. Once you place an item, it's yours forever.

I don't think that is correct... I got the free house, purchased a table as required by the quest, and once I got some recipes/blueprints, I crafted some shelves, a cup, and a candle and started filling my hole on the wall.

A few days later my Mara purchased a house with Crowns, and gave me decorator permissions. First thing I did was pack up all my stuff and brought it to her home. I handed her all the items and then she placed them on the floor so we could start moving stuff around.

That suggests crafted items are not account bound.

• Tevalaur
    Tevalaur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do believe that the only items that are account-bound are the achievement-based purchases and attunable crafting stations.
    Is Uncle John's band calling you? Do you daydream about Sugar Magnolias? Is your favorite sunflower a China Cat? Tired of Truckin' alone to Terrapin Station? If so, share some Space with other hippies & deadheads in the guild Sunshine Daydream! Send a message in game (PC-NA) to Kaibeth for your invitation.
  • Flashygrrl
    Flashygrrl
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, regular house stuff is not account-bound. Was one of the first things I checked.

Crown stuff isn't stuck in your purchased house either, it's account bound so it just gets plopped in your inventory.
  • Reivax
    Reivax
    ✭✭✭✭
    I bought a furnished house. I tested and the furnishings included with it can be moved to my other house, but they are account bound.
    They have a crown icon next to them in inventory, too.

So far, that I can see, nothing I've made is "bound" even once placed.
    None of the furnishings I've found in the "wild" are bound once placed.
    The two achievement based furnishings I've bought so far were bound.

Most common furnishing I've found: Ink wells. I think I have about 10 of then.
    Coolest furnishing so far: Cheese Slicer (you can buy it after doing Public Dungeon dailies achievement)
    Most creative thing I've tried: I found a hatchet, and I rotated it so that it looked stuck in the wood pile. And I placed a pie, and rotated about 5 knives to all look stuck in it at angles.

Before wasting tons of gold on furnishings at a guild vendor, go to all in-game vendors (NPCs) and familiarize yourself with what can be purchased. MANY guild vendors are selling furnishings you can buy in-game for 150-250 gold, at prices in the thousands.
    Most in game vendors sell something. I think Weaponsmith and Armorer are only two that don't have something for sale.

Thank you for everyone's help and answers.
  • Tevalaur
    Tevalaur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reivax wrote: »
    Before wasting tons of gold on furnishings at a guild vendor, go to all in-game vendors (NPCs) and familiarize yourself with what can be purchased. MANY guild vendors are selling furnishings you can buy in-game for 150-250 gold, at prices in the thousands.

This has some tables that will help with that: Sunshine Daydream's Guide to Housing & Furnishings

Is Uncle John's band calling you? Do you daydream about Sugar Magnolias? Is your favorite sunflower a China Cat? Tired of Truckin' alone to Terrapin Station? If so, share some Space with other hippies & deadheads in the guild Sunshine Daydream! Send a message in game (PC-NA) to Kaibeth for your invitation.
  • Reivax
    Reivax
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tevalaur wrote: »
    Reivax wrote: »

This has some tables that will help with that: Sunshine Daydream's Guide to Housing & Furnishings

Thank you for the effort in that write up, very helpful!
  • BlackSparrow
    BlackSparrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lygerseye wrote: »

I don't think that is correct... I got the free house, purchased a table as required by the quest, and once I got some recipes/blueprints, I crafted some shelves, a cup, and a candle and started filling my hole on the wall.

A few days later my Mara purchased a house with Crowns, and gave me decorator permissions. First thing I did was pack up all my stuff and brought it to her home. I handed her all the items and then she placed them on the floor so we could start moving stuff around.

That suggests crafted items are not account bound.
    Flashygrrl wrote: »
    Yeah, regular house stuff is not account-bound. Was one of the first things I checked.

Crown stuff isn't stuck in your purchased house either, it's account bound so it just gets plopped in your inventory.

Thank you for the correction. I had read in early patch notes somewhere (probably on PTS) that all items were bound once placed. Glad they changed it. :)
    Living vicariously through my characters.

My Girls:
    "If you were trapped in your house for, say, a year, how would you pass the time?"

Nephikah the Houseless, dunmer assassin: "I suppose I could use the break. I have a lot of business holdings now that need management."
    Swum-Many-Waters, elderly argonian healer: "I think that I would enjoy writing a memoir."
    Silh'ki, khajiit warrior-chef: "Would this one be able to go outside, to the nearby river? It's hard to fish without water!"
    Peregrine Huntress, bosmer hunter: "Who is forcing me to stay inside, and where can I find them?"
    Lorenyawe, altmer mechanist: "And why would I want to go outside in the first place? Too much to be done in the workshop."
    Lorelai Magpie, breton master thief: "I'd go nuts. Lucky for me, I have a little experience sneaking out!"
    Rasheda the Burning Heart, redguard knight: "I would continue my training to keep my skills sharp."
    Hex-Eye Azabi, khajiit daedric priestess: "I suppose it would be lucky, then, that I built a shrine to Mephala in my backyard."
    Yngva Stormhammer, nord bandit (reformed...ish): "I hate being inside even when I'm not forced to be. GET. ME. OUT."
    Madam Argentia, vampire dunmer aristocrat: "I suppose it would be more of the same. I have a rather... contentious relationship with the sun."
    Mazie gra-Bolga, orc scout: "Uh... I'd have to house train my bear..."
    Felicia the Wanderer, imperial witch-for-hire: "What Lorelai said."
    Calico Jaka-dra, retired khajiit pirate: "This one would like a rest from her grand adventures. Her jewel shop runs out of stock!"
    Shimmerbeam, blind altmer psijic: "Provided that I am confined to Artaeum, I do not think I will want for things to occupy my time."
    Shauna Blackfire, redguard necromancer: "Sounds like paradise. I hate people."
    Kirniel the Undying, cursed bosmer warrior: "I would feel useless, not being able to fight."
    Echoes-from-Dragons, argonian who thinks she's a dragon: "All the better to count my hoard!"

(Signature idea shamelessly stolen from Abeille.)
  • cyberjanet
    cyberjanet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it helps, I crafted a bed and placed it in a house. Then I decided I wanted a bigger bed, took the old one out and sold it at the guild store.

Used furniture, looks good as new.
    Favourite NPC: Wine-For-All
    Mostly PC-EU , with a lonely little guy on NA.