Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Safest Class Choice? Especially for 4v4v4?

Sabbathius
Sabbathius
✭✭✭✭
Been playing a while, and still cannot settle on a class to main. With Morrowind, and especially 4v4v4 in mind, and both PvE and PvP, what do you think is the "safest" class choice? That is, a class that will most likely remain effective and be desirable? I'm thinking that, after Morrowind, we'll have 4-man teams with 5 classes in the game. There's also the concern that should I decide to do trials, stamina classes are not exactly in high demand? Granted, things may change as balance shifts, so this is still a guess, but based on past experience, what would be yours, and why?

For my part, I tried most classes (except sNightblade and sTemplar), and came to realize I don't have an obvious favourite. Most are already lvl 50. It's weird in a way. Because for example in WoW I tried some classes, then tried a warlock and really liked it, and then tried a druid and just fell in love with the feeling of freedom and fluidity of motion and stayed with it for most of my time in that game. With with ESO's classes, there's no druid for me yet.

My concerns are, for example, is that a DK is fairly restricted to melee range, which is also true to a degree with Templar, and lacks mobility. Which may be a serious issue in BGs, where being able to engage at any range will likely be a major factor. Sorcerer, while very strong, is somewhat annoying with 6 sec shields to refresh. And while I really like the concept of Nightblade resource sustain, I don't see them as particularly powerful in any area, albeit very versatile. That is not to say that an excellent player can't make it work, but just that an excellent player on another class would perform better.

And of course group utility is a factor - which I'm guessing will also be super-important in a 4v4v4 group which will be trimmed of fat into a lean mean killing machine.

Lastly, it would be nice if the class could perform all roles well. I understand all classes can do well in normals and vet dungeons, in any role, but once we hit endgame like trials, some classes become considerably better than others.

Thoughts? Opinions? I'm all for "play what you like", but the thing is, there's nothing I actually like. I'd go as far as to say I dislike all classes equally right now. I'm literally at the point where I have to pick a main and get out of this alt-hell, or quit the game entirely. It's either ask here and hope for some good feedback, or flip a coin.
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The only speculation I'm willing to make about a 4v4v4 meta months in the future is that I would guess most teams will have a magicka templar.
    Thrice Empress, Forever Scrub
  • EldritchPenguin
    EldritchPenguin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only speculation I'm willing to make about a 4v4v4 meta months in the future is that I would guess most teams will have a magicka templar.
    Pretty much second this. Currently, Magicka Templars have a ton of damage, a ton of healing power, and are flexible enough to competently fight both in melee and from a great distance, not to mention that they can also be absurdly hard to kill with the right setup, and actually have reasonable mobility with their gap closer. Unless something big changes for them--something even bigger than a 21% nerf to Radiant Destruction--then they're still going to be a staple of the PvP meta.
    Lilelle Adlis - Dark Elf Dragonknight

Vaynothah Sailenar - Dark Elf Templar

Sherivah Telvanni - Dark Elf Sorcerer

Nephiah Telvanni - Dark Elf Nightblade
  • Anti_Virus
    Anti_Virus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Warden
    Power Wealth And Influence.
  • Sheuib
    Sheuib
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think it is going to be more roles instead of classes. Obviously the group will need the hard to kill healer. A tanky/CC person. And a good burst dps. The 4th is a double of one of those most likely the dps.
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Templar.

They have viable builds for everything and you can always fall back on healer which everyone wants.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • lappas
    lappas
    ✭✭✭
    Mag sorc
  • Cadbury
    Cadbury
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Templar. Everybody loves a healer
    "If a person is truly desirous of something, perhaps being set on fire does not seem so bad."
  • Lynx7386
    Lynx7386
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    At the moment I'd agree with those saying templar.

Who knows what the warden might bring to the table, though
    PS4 / NA
    M'asad - Khajiit Nightblade - Healer
    Pakhet - Khajiit Dragonknight - Tank
    Raksha - Khajiit Sorcerer - Stamina DPS
    Bastet - Khajiit Templar - Healer
    Leonin - Khajiit Warden - Tank
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Despite the many complaints on these forums, the number 1 and by far the biggest determiner of a player's relevance in PvP, a trial, battlegrounds, or whatever is their skill and knowledge of the game much more than their class. Only at the very very very highest levels of play do this stuff begin to matter, and even then we're talking about a small percentage difference in DPS or something.

If you don't like any of the classes, then I'm not sure why you are playing.
  • timidobserver
    timidobserver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    None are safe. I am expecting some game changing nerfs before battlegrounds go live. The current game isn't balanced for it.
    Edited by timidobserver on February 8, 2017 3:01PM
    V16 Uriel Stormblessed EP Magicka Templar(main)
    V16 Derelict Vagabond EP Stamina DK
    V16 Redacted Ep Stam Sorc
    V16 Insolent EP Magicka Sorc(retired)
    V16 Jed I Nyte EP Stamina NB(retired)