Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Magblade or Magplar for soloing group content?

sutasafaia
So I've been going crazy trying to play the various classes a bit, get used to them, see how they feel, decide what I like...it seems to be coming down to Magplar and Magblade at this point. Looks like this is pretty much the last thing I need to figure out now and I can stop tormenting myself..

Just a note, I have nothing against grouping, but soloing group content is my hobby on off nights when my guild isn't doing anything. It's fun. From what I've been hearing/reading (and I've been reading A LOT), Mag Sorc is apparently the best at it, I get that, but I would rather be playing the second best class and have fun than be playing the best class and quit after a couple weeks of going crazy. I just don't like the sorc style of gameplay. Seriously though, I'm pretty certain I've gone through a good hundred or so forum threads on various sites in the last week. 90% of the time Magplar seems to be the winner, but Magblade also gets mentioned a lot. Since I enjoy both, I am now stuck posting to request for opinions. Seriously, why are both fun? Not that that's a bad thing, but it does make this harder.

Anyway, just looking for some opinions so I can get the ball rolling. Would hate to find out 100 hours in that I ended up picking the "wrong" class. I am focused on the class that can survive the longest, sustain. From what I was told every class can, after champion points, get more or less enough sustain to do anything as far as resources go. Not sure how true this is, never made it that far, but assuming it's true I guess it comes down to which class can sustain their own health pool when crap hits the fan the best. Which would that be? I enjoy both classes from what I've played so far so that won't be an issue here, the only two classes I really wasn't able to enjoy was sorc and DK.

Magplar seems to have direct heals and a swipes, while Magblade has several ways to keep DPSing while healing but doesn't have the same level of direct healing as Magplar? Which would better suit my needs? I am perfectly willing to give up some dps in favor of guaranteeing a victory, as long as I get my win.

I've been playing both (which is obviously getting me nowhere in terms of progression) but I've been trying to figure out on my own which I like better. The problem is, so far, I enjoy both. That said, I want to pick one, I want to make some progress in the game. It was hilarious stealthing through an entire delve with maneuvers and concealed weapon to kill the boss and leave, but I do feel a tiny bit squishier on the NB than I do on my templar. That said, templar has a great set of heals at low level, and nb does get some more later. I have resource issues on templar right now but zero on my nb. It's just a game of each being good, each being fun, and me having no idea which is more fun T_T so at this point I'm just trying to find out which solo's better and letting it go at that.

• Dr_Rektar
    Dr_Rektar
    ✭✭✭
    Pretty obvious to say that the besr char for soloing is the best yo can play. I tried to solo dungeons on both magplar and magblade. But i had resource problems on magblade not magplar. And it feels more cozy playing magplar too. Imho magplar is a bit better for vcoa2 soloing and it have more chances to survive on prelast boss in vcos ( when soloing it ofc). So i d recommend magplar
    Engine guardian - best set ever
  • riberion
    riberion
    ✭✭✭
    My main is a magicka templar, and I am able to solo most group content including veteran undaunted dungeons (not all of these, some have mechanics that make this difficult). I'm sure it depends a lot on your play style, but I am just not as good with my magicka NB, although this is probably due to the difference in hours played. Go with what you are strongest with, both have great self heals available and stealth on your NB can get you out of lots of sticky situations.
    PC NA
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magplar is so much easier than Magblade when it comes to solo play.
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • datgladiatah
    datgladiatah
    ✭✭✭
    Dr_Rektar wrote: »
    Pretty obvious to say that the besr char for soloing is the best yo can play. I tried to solo dungeons on both magplar and magblade. But i had resource problems on magblade not magplar. And it feels more cozy playing magplar too. Imho magplar is a bit better for vcoa2 soloing and it have more chances to survive on prelast boss in vcos ( when soloing it ofc). So i d recommend magplar

You have resource problems? Are you weaving light attacks with siphoning attacks up?

The strife cost increase definitely hurts in this patch though.
  • Palefang
    Palefang
    ✭✭
    I play both MagBlade and MagPlar, and I feel more confortable soloing with MagPlar.

Basically, as you sweeps and do not much light attacks, I go for double sword on main bar which allow me to run 2 5p sets (Julianos & SPC) + 2p monster (I prefer Skoria over Grothdarr, personnal choice). On off-bar, I use staff (resto or destro depends on situation). Resto ult makes you like immortal for 6s and refund mana (ults triggers regeneration which in turns triggers Maestrom staff). Destro staff gives you a big AoE ult (reach more targets than Meteor) and Elemental Blockade.
    I have no mana problems, but I'm c600... The rune helps you a lot to replenish mana.
    Heal is by-product, so you don't need to stop attacking to heal yourself (which isn't always true on MagBlade).

On MagBlade I have no mana problem (I even play with 3 enchants of magic damages) but it feels... less consistent. You have either to cast a dedicated spell to heal (Swallow Soul isn't enough to heal you) and Sap Essence is very great but only when you face multiple low-damages targets. (Fighting 2 HL mobs is more tricky.)
    Merciless Focus makes you play destro staff main bar to be plainly effective, so you don't have access to 2 5p sets + 2p monster.

Overall :
    MagPlar VS MagBlade
    Bonus at heal Major Vitality (+25%) Minor Vitality (+8%)
    +10% if badly hurted +3% per siphon skill
    Defense Major Ward Minor Ward
    +15% block +20 dodge
    Speed X +30% Speed
    Spam skill Sweeps Swallow Soul / Destro
    Multi+Solo Solo
    Bonus damages X +8%

My point of view is that Nightblade gives you a lot of situationnal and luck-based tools. On the other hand, MagPlar aren't as flashy but are more polyvalent and don't rely on luck to prevent incoming damages. Overall, MagPlar have better damages mitigation and more LPS.
    The only thing that would make me play MagBlade over MagPlar is when I want to stay at range. MagPlar build tells you to rush in while MagBlade can attack from full range.
    Palefang, playing since the Beta, huge fan of Elder Scrolls world.

Palefang - Bosmer 'Smiling Dagger' Stamblade
    Palefang Dawn - Breton 'Unyielding Light' Magplar
    Palefang, the Blood-cursed - Dunmer 'Nightstalker' Magblade
    Palefang, Smiling-at-Death - Skeleton 'Refusing to Die' TankDK
    Palefang Windwalker - Bosmer 'Y'ffre's Arrow' Stamden
    Does-not-say-his-name - Khajiit 'Self Sutaining' Stamsorc
    Mythos of Dawn - High Elf 'Clumsy' Magsorc
    Max CP
  • Dr_Rektar
    Dr_Rektar
    ✭✭✭
    Dr_Rektar wrote: »

You have resource problems? Are you weaving light attacks with siphoning attacks up?

The strife cost increase definitely hurts in this patch though.

Yes. Im weaving with light attacks. But still running out of resources pretty fast. Need to check that strife nerf btw
    Engine guardian - best set ever
  • sutasafaia
    After playing both to fifteen, the only conclusion I've reached is that trying to pick between Magplar and Magblade is making me nuts. Templar has infinite healing jabs and goes oom very quickly. NB has devour soul and has almost no magicka problems, but doesn't heal as quickly as templar. Templar has a good self heal with breath of life, NB has that aoe siphon that eats a ton of health. NB has stealth and ranged healing, templar has better shields. Templar can accidentally kill themselves by healing some other person who wanders too close >.>. NB has to do all these fancy weaves and rotations, templar just jabs. Forever. Jab jab jab. Heck I'm pretty sure the first skill in each templar tree is literally all you need for 95% of the games content solo.

I'm really unsure which I want to make my main at this point =/ Both are great at soloing, both can perform all three roles in a group to some extent or another, I enjoy both...meh. Splitting my resources between leveling both at once is doing nothing though, especially in regards to crafting.

It seems like everybody here is suggesting templar but I'm not sure how they are vastly easier. Sure they get an early AoE but I think sap might actually be keeping my health topped up a little easier than jabs...again, early game talking here. Need to use a lot more skills on NB though, also seem to need staves on NB so I can't dual wield as well as templar to get a bonus set.

It would make sense if one was better than the other for soloing but heck if I can tell which it is. Some say magplar, some say magblade (in other threads at any rate). I guess the fact that it's balanced enough to have votes on both sides is a good thing but it sure doesn't help me decide. What do you think makes one better than the other?

Indecisiveness at it's finest :)
  • mr_wazzabi
    mr_wazzabi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magplar's heals are much faster than magblade, so they're better equipped for soloing.
    Bosmer Stamina NB
    Altmer Magicka TEMP
    Dunmer DK both stam/mag (depends what I feel like)
    Altmer Magicka NB
    Breton Magicka Sorc
    Redguard Stam Sorc
    Max CP
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Level 15 is still the “god mode“ phase in ESO since One Tamriel. You need to play to (at least) 30 to get a better view of both classes when listening to our advices doesn't help you.

Nightblade is fun but it's a lot of work and not easy with most builds. Templar has amazing skills for solo play and is so much easier to play. Soloing world dungeons as a Nightblade is doable but pretty tough whereas doing the same stuff as a Templar is fairly easy. Maybe you should just check this out and see then how much easier Magplar is compared to Magblade.

Yes, Jabbing is super annoying as a Templar but it's doing a great job in every aspect - it's pretty cheap on resources, does great damage AND heals you. As a Nightblade you don't have such a skill, not even Sap Essence later on comes close.
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • SpazzmanNDQ
    I know Stam sorc wasn't an option but it's also a good class to solo group content with. I always see dw/bow Stam sorc soloing dungeons on YT.
  • Autolycus
    Autolycus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's no question as to whether or not you can use either; they are both totally fine for soloing group content. My opinion is that your preference is really all that matters in this case.
  • starlizard70ub17_ESO
    starlizard70ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Magpler, if for no other reason then it's self heal abilities allow for the occasional mistake to be made while soloing bosses, where you'd be dead with most other class combos.
    "We have found a cave, but I don't think there are warm fires and friendly faces inside."