Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Are there sufficient skill points in game to max out crafting on each of your characters?

Caroloces
Caroloces
✭✭✭✭✭
It's always been my impression that if you pour skill points into each and every crafting line on a particular character, that you might be sacrificing your ability to max out your class, weapon and armor abilities, as well as the guild, alliance and world lines. I'm wondering if anyone has attempted this, and regretted it later. I know you can always respec, but that leads to a second question - what happens if you max out crafting and then respec, and take skill points out of crafting and redistribute them elsewhere? Do you then lose the ability to craft high level items?
  • Fabulosity
    Fabulosity
    ✭✭✭
    There are more than enough skill points. On my main I have every craft maxed out, as well as heaps of points into various other trees, and still have around 30 skill points left over.
  • Jadednatas
    Jadednatas
    ✭✭✭
    Yes definitely more than enough.. between skyshards, dungeon skill points, quest skill points, and pvp skill points you can have enough to master craft and have enough points to not need to dump them to respec. If you take your points out of craft it will take away that ability yes, at least i am 95% sure on that.. i know it lowers writ levels back down if the points are gone.
  • Soella
    Soella
    ✭✭✭✭
    Even almost without PvP skillpoints I have enough to have all crafts and most of weapon lines maxed. But it takes time to get them all, especially from quest lines.
  • disintegr8
    disintegr8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Makes it easier to do if you only put the other skill points into skills and passives that you use and reset them as you swap out skills or weapons. We all try out different things every now and then and they can lock up valuable skill points if you do not reset them from time to time.

Mind you, it can be expensive if you are short of cash. I rest the skill points on my newest character on the weekend and it cost me 7.5k - and she is only 2 months old.
    Australian on PS4 NA server.
    Everyone's entitled to an opinion.
  • STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Caroloces wrote: »
    It's always been my impression that if you pour skill points into each and every crafting line on a particular character, that you might be sacrificing your ability to max out your class, weapon and armor abilities, as well as the guild, alliance and world lines. I'm wondering if anyone has attempted this, and regretted it later. I know you can always respec, but that leads to a second question - what happens if you max out crafting and then respec, and take skill points out of crafting and redistribute them elsewhere? Do you then lose the ability to craft high level items?

i have one character with maxed crafting in every craft and fully functional play etc - even vampire. but is is my oldest, full silver and gold the old school way - so highest skill point one.

Five of the others: they have mastered between two and four crafts each.

the remainign six run tier one writs not sinking any real points into crafting - just keen eye and hirelings mostly.

So it is capable of being done.

BUT i recommend getting the equipped ones going early and only come back to the consumables after you have surplus skills late in the game.

trying to run up all six while adventuring and developing would really cut into your main drive skills and morphing.

imo
    Proudly skooma free while talks-when-drunk is in mandatory public housing.
    YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

First Law of Nerf-o-Dynamics
    "The good way I used to get good kills *with good skill* was good but the way others kill me now is bad."

• AntMan100673
    AntMan100673
    ✭✭✭
    Yes there are enough skill points BUT I wouldn't recommend trying to invest skill points in all crafts as you're levelling up.

Put skill points into the important ones such as being able to research more items / reduce research time. Don't bother putting skill points into being able to craft higher level gear.

Eventually you'll get to the point where you've got all the combat skills and passives you want and that's when you can start putting additional skill points into crafting.

And when you finally get to 9 traits, which takes a long time on woodworking and much much longer on clothing and blacksmithing, you can take the skill points out of researching when you next respec to get 4 skill points back per craft.
    EU - EP - Dunmer - Dragonknight - Magicka DPS - CP160

GT: AntMan100673
  • Caroloces
    Caroloces
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks all, for your insights and suggestions.
  • Duiwel
    Duiwel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Duiwel wrote: »
    Speaking as an Altaholic (waits for everyone to say "Hi Duiwel")

I can for certainty say you will not max out the skill points for most crafts on your alts, unless you are really dedicated towards it, you will also not max out all ability skill trees (at least not initially).

Here's what I recommend:

All 3 class skill lines, choose 2 weapon skill lines, with a third option (slightly).
    Say you are Magicka:
    Destro staff, resto staff, dual wield for example.
    For Stamina:
    2h, Dual Wield, bow.

You can pick the essential guild skills, alliance skills, such as Rapid Maneuver ect.

For the crafting I recommend the blacksmithing, clothing, enchanting as a primary priority & provisioning and woodworking are secondary.

Note it will take a long time to get all the skyshards, random dungeons & the Alliance war rank skill points on multiple toons :smile:

Alternatively you can decide to use 4 chars as your "main ones" 1 of each class & then have the other 4 as primary crafter characters for the mails, while you get their skill points for the actual skills. This is another option I am currently experimenting with on 2 of my alts.

While taking skills take a long time, doing Undaunted on them will be even more tedious so be prepared OP :wink:

Edited for typo
    Edited by Duiwel on February 8, 2017 8:58AM
    @Duiwel:
    Join ORDER OF SITHIS We're recruiting! PC EU

"Dear Brother. I do not spread rumours. I create them..."
  • Duiwel
    Duiwel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry for double post I meant to edit
    Edited by Duiwel on February 8, 2017 8:58AM
    @Duiwel:
    Join ORDER OF SITHIS We're recruiting! PC EU