Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Some more n00b questions...

BillK
BillK
I'm playing a magicka based Breton Templar. Wearing 5 pieces of level 16 light Seducer armor with the xp trait. Playing on XB1 on NA server.

1) Trying to figure out the quickest, most efficient way to level up the clothing skill. Is stealing items and deconstructing them the fastest way? I'm currently level 31 and my clothing skill is at 13 as I recall.

2) What is the advantage of joining multiple guilds? I'm currently solo/guildless and not sure what the advantage of being in 5 guilds brings (other than a never ending wall of chat text?)

3) As a solo player with limited time to devote to the game is there any point in me even joining a guild (for them or me)? I don't want to be a burden to a guild and have no burning desire to chat it up every night. Maybe an occasional group for a dungeon but I don't want to drag anyone down to my poor skill level. I enjoy the few hours a night of quiet solitude I get as a solo player but I don't want to limit my experience either.

4) I've joined the Thieves, Mage and Fighters guild - any specific one I should work on leveling up over and above the others?

5) Should I just forget about leveling up crafting and the in-game guilds quest lines for now and power my way to 50 on this character then worry about it later (from an efficiency standpoint)? I'm finding now that my level 16 gear may need replacing as I'm getting beat down pretty quick and kills are getting harder in some cases which my reason for wanting to get clothing leveled.

6) Am I missing a more efficient way of leveling than questing and hitting any delves I run across? Are there dolmens or something I can continually hit for skill ups, xp and level appropriate loot that may help me? I've read to farm dolmens but not sure the best way to go about it.

7) How do I raise my sneak, pickpocket and lockpick skills quickly and efficiently?

8) If you join a guild do you use your gamer tag or in game character name?

9) Are guilds ok with a member not using the headset for communication and just text? My days of voice chat ended when I left the WoW raid guild I was in years ago.

Sorry for all the questions. It seems the more I read about ESO, the more I realize how much I don't know about ESO. :smile:

Thanks.
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BillK wrote: »
    1) Trying to figure out the quickest, most efficient way to level up the clothing skill. Is stealing items and deconstructing them the fastest way? I'm currently level 31 and my clothing skill is at 13 as I recall.
    Deconstructing player made items (including items from your alts) or generally all the clothing gear you find in the game.
    2) What is the advantage of joining multiple guilds? I'm currently solo/guildless and not sure what the advantage of being in 5 guilds brings (other than a never ending wall of chat text?)
    Because of the way the market works between players in the game guilds are used as stores, some internally within the guild others rent trading NPC's each week.
    You can join a guild which focuses on PvP, one which focuses on PvE and also have some trade guilds to sell or buy loot. It's up to you how you use guilds and how loyal you remain to single ones.
    3) As a solo player with limited time to devote to the game is there any point in me even joining a guild (for them or me)? I don't want to be a burden to a guild and have no burning desire to chat it up every night. Maybe an occasional group for a dungeon but I don't want to drag anyone down to my poor skill level. I enjoy the few hours a night of quiet solitude I get as a solo player but I don't want to limit my experience either.
    Find a guild with no requirements for activity and who focus on social fun gameplay. You'll then have players to talk to for advice and answer questions about the game and access to others to team up with for the group content should you wish to do it.
    4) I've joined the Thieves, Mage and Fighters guild - any specific one I should work on leveling up over and above the others?
    They're all worth levelling and you will level each of them up by playing the game (mages guild by finding blue lore books, fighters guild by beating anchors, undead and daedra and thieves guild by doing quests and daily quests for them.
    5) Should I just forget about leveling up crafting and the in-game guilds quest lines for now and power my way to 50 on this character then worry about it later (from an efficiency standpoint)? I'm finding now that my level 16 gear may need replacing as I'm getting beat down pretty quick and kills are getting harder in some cases which my reason for wanting to get clothing leveled.
    It's my personal belief that for your first character you should take your time and try everything, the game doesn't start at high level and everything scales to you now (bar some specific Champion 160 end game content) so just kick back do what's fun and learn the game. You only have your first experience with the game once.
    6) Am I missing a more efficient way of leveling than questing and hitting any delves I run across? Are there dolmens or something I can continually hit for skill ups, xp and level appropriate loot that may help me? I've read to farm dolmens but not sure the best way to go about it.
    Grinding with another player is the fastest way to level up, however you will only gain levels doing this, you'll still need to go back and clear zones for Skyshards, achievements(for dyes), quests for SP and skill lines etc. so you might as well run through all the zones clearing them fully.
    7) How do I raise my sneak, pickpocket and lockpick skills quickly and efficiently?
    These skills are levelled by passives in Legedomain and Thieves Guild Skill trees.
    Legedomain is levelled by selling stolen goods to a fence in thieves refuges.
    Thievies Guild skills are levelled by doing quests for the Thieves Guild
    Not 100% sure on this as I am a PC player, but I believe they use and see your gamer tag.
    9) Are guilds ok with a member not using the headset for communication and just text? My days of voice chat ended when I left the WoW raid guild I was in years ago.
    There are probably a number of them out there, check in the recruitment forums on here to see what there is available.
    Sorry for all the questions. It seems the more I read about ESO, the more I realize how much I don't know about ESO. :smile:

Thanks.
    No problem, welcome to the game and community. Enjoy yourself!

@Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • BlackSparrow
    BlackSparrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok, let's tackle these one-by-one.

Honestly, you get more clothing just from going out into the zone and questing. Particularly since most of clothing you find in containers is going to be low level. The higher level the gear, the more inspiration you get from deconning it. The REALLY fast way to do it is buy some high level gear off the guild traders, but that can get expensive fast, so really, just quest and do delves, and then decon any gear you don't use or research, and you'll get there eventually.

Depends on what guilds they are. Sometimes, it's nice to have a guild specifically for dungeon diving, one for trading, and one for newbie tips... that sort of thing. Then again, if you find a tight-knit group that does about everything you need in one, then one is all you need.

There are many players that feel this way (I'm one of them), and they tend to form guilds too. You don't need a guild if you don't want one.. but it's nice to be in one in case you want to tackle a public or group dungeon, a world boss, or something else you can't solo.

As for "dragging people down"? Find a newbie friendly guild or two, and they will happily teach you. There are lots of guilds full of players who will happily help struggling players and guide them on ways to get better. Again, you just have to find them.

But like I've said, you don't HAVE to join a guild. I Lone Wolfed it for years before joining my first guild last month, and I got by fine on random pick-up groups. Though it does mean dealing with Group Finder groups, so... choose wisely. ;)

Mage and Fighter's Guild will level up on their own over time as long as you just keep exploring the zone and doing dolmens. Thieves Guild, you have to go a bit out of your way for. None of these are must-have skill lines unless you're going for certain builds, so just be patient and keep questing. They'll get there.

Why the obsession with efficiency? Level 50 is not the end-all and be-all of this game. Do whatever you find fun. :p

At your level, if you're exploring the zones and doing quests, you should be getting more than enough equipment drops to replace your gear. Unless you're grinding the same patch of wolves. You're not grinding the same patch of wolves, are you? Don't do that... that is no way to learn your character or the game.

As for leveling up crafting... You shouldn't need to craft right now (as I said, just questing and playing the zone gets you all the equipment you need), but you will want to start researching traits as early as possible. So start doing that now, on any craft you want this character to eventually do (smithing, clothing, or woodworking). Trait research takes a LONG time as you get to the last few traits, so it's best to get that process started now.

I'm not answering this one, because I don't see the point in leveling just for the sake of leveling. Just play the game. Your level will rise no matter what you do, and you'll have fun doing it. :p

Sneak, pickpocket, and lockpick aren't skills on their own: they're all built into the Legerdemain skill line (check under World on the skill page). Keep doing thiefy things and selling your loot (pickpocketing seems to raise it fastest, but it's also the most risky!) and the skill with rise. Then, you can put skill points into passive to make you more sneaky, increase your pickpocket chance, etc.

Gamertag. Your Gamertag is everywhere in this game, fully visible to everyone. It's not ideal, but you get used to it.

Can't speak to that one, as I'm on PC instead of XBox.

Living vicariously through my characters.

My Girls:
    "If you were trapped in your house for, say, a year, how would you pass the time?"

Nephikah the Houseless, dunmer assassin: "I suppose I could use the break. I have a lot of business holdings now that need management."
    Swum-Many-Waters, elderly argonian healer: "I think that I would enjoy writing a memoir."
    Silh'ki, khajiit warrior-chef: "Would this one be able to go outside, to the nearby river? It's hard to fish without water!"
    Peregrine Huntress, bosmer hunter: "Who is forcing me to stay inside, and where can I find them?"
    Lorenyawe, altmer mechanist: "And why would I want to go outside in the first place? Too much to be done in the workshop."
    Lorelai Magpie, breton master thief: "I'd go nuts. Lucky for me, I have a little experience sneaking out!"
    Rasheda the Burning Heart, redguard knight: "I would continue my training to keep my skills sharp."
    Hex-Eye Azabi, khajiit daedric priestess: "I suppose it would be lucky, then, that I built a shrine to Mephala in my backyard."
    Yngva Stormhammer, nord bandit (reformed...ish): "I hate being inside even when I'm not forced to be. GET. ME. OUT."
    Madam Argentia, vampire dunmer aristocrat: "I suppose it would be more of the same. I have a rather... contentious relationship with the sun."
    Mazie gra-Bolga, orc scout: "Uh... I'd have to house train my bear..."
    Felicia the Wanderer, imperial witch-for-hire: "What Lorelai said."
    Calico Jaka-dra, retired khajiit pirate: "This one would like a rest from her grand adventures. Her jewel shop runs out of stock!"
    Shimmerbeam, blind altmer psijic: "Provided that I am confined to Artaeum, I do not think I will want for things to occupy my time."
    Shauna Blackfire, redguard necromancer: "Sounds like paradise. I hate people."
    Kirniel the Undying, cursed bosmer warrior: "I would feel useless, not being able to fight."
    Echoes-from-Dragons, argonian who thinks she's a dragon: "All the better to count my hoard!"

(Signature idea shamelessly stolen from Abeille.)
  • Glaiceana
    Glaiceana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    1) Try deconstructing intricate trait items, you can level clothing and anything so fast. If you have enough money, you can buy a bunch of white items in this trait from guild traders, and just decon all of it, you'll be amazed how fast you level it. Or just deconstruct everything you get, and especially items that are your level or higher.

2) Well not all guilds have a very active chat, so you might not get spammed :) The main reason is to be able to sell your items in trade guilds, or find people to play with. You can edit your chat windows to only show certain things as well. (well you can do this on PC, so can put all guilds in one chat tab)

3) Basically its down to finding the right group for you :) There will be ones that don't demand you do certain things or play loads. A nice friendly casual guild may be perfect, where you can just join them every now and then to do dungeons, trials, quests, or even skyshard hunting :) If you prefer solo play, then of course there's no reason for you to be forced to join a guild.

4) Fighters guild is probably best if you are being a damage dealer.

5) It will certainly be handy for you if you level it now. There are many traits to research, and they all take time, some armour sets require many traits learned for each item you craft in it, so that can also be beneficial. At the same time though, you could find someone to craft items for you (another benefit to being in a guild)

6) Questing is a good way to level, dolmens give you lots of XP too, especially if you are in a group of 2 and its only you and your friend there. Unfortunately this is quite rare, and as soon as more people arrive in the area, the XP goes down. Psijic Ambrosia drink is good too, if you can afford it.

7) I think the best way is to just find an area where you can do all of them, and just find a route where you can do it over and over.

8) I believe there is options to show both. (but not certain, as I'm on PC)

9) Depends on the guild :) Just ask what they prefer. Head here and see if you spot a guild you might like: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/en-xbox-one-na
    Priests of Hircine
    Werewolves who bite for FREE! PC/EU
    Our total free bites: 7000+
    Guild Subreddit | Forum Thread | YouTube Playlist
    Total Champion Points: 1000+
    Main Character: Ithaera - Stam DK, Nord, Female, DD, Werewolf.
    Rothelnog - Stam NB, Orc, Male, DD, Werewolf.
    J'Xena - Mag DK, Khajiit, Female, DD, Werewolf.
    Dances-With-Frost-Dragons - DK, Argonian, Male, Tank, Werewolf.
    Raziel The Paradox - Mag TP, Dark Elf, Male, DD, Vampire.
    Swims-Through-Starlight - TP, Argonian, Female, Healer, Werewolf.
    Glaicean Mag Ward, High Elf, Male, Ice DD, Werewolf.
    Hjurne Hircine's Forsaken - Sorc, Redguard, Male, PvP DD, Werewolf.
    My Total Free Werewolf Bites: 400+ (Ask me about bites if you need one!)
    Playing since July 2015!