Maintenance for the week of March 18:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – March 18
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 19, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 1:00PM EDT (17:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – March 20, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – March 20, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)

A bit of advice on which Magicka class to choose

Iziquiel
Iziquiel
✭✭
Hi all,

I am currently levelling a Stamina Sorcerer but I always like to have an alt set up in a different way which I can switch to for a while and have a bit of a change. As my main is a Stamina based I want to create a Magicka based class but not sure which of Templar, Nightblade or Dragonknight to create.

Ideally what I would like is a class which:
• Can be effective as a tank or DPS whilst having a Magicka based build
• Can deal good levels of damage from close range to targets whilst being equipped with a staff, not have to stand at a distance away to be most effective
• Uses mainly class abilities
• Ideally has a class execute ability (is there a staff one?)
• Has self-heal/sustain abilities quite early in their skill lines
• Doesn’t have a really difficult skill rotation

Can anyone advise which of these classes could get the closest to these requirements?

Thanks!
  • Zanen
    Zanen
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like Templar.

DK would be close too but no execute and less heals.
  • souravami
    souravami
    ✭✭✭✭
    Roll a Templar. Self heal, self sustain, can work as a tank-dps-healer hybrid if you want, very easy rotation, best execute in game it has everything.
    Edited by souravami on January 31, 2017 8:31PM
    PC NA
    vMOL. vAA HM. vHRC HM. vSO HM. vMA on every single class.
    "A game should be fun to play. Balance always comes second."
  • Iziquiel
    Iziquiel
    ✭✭
    Excellent thank you, I will create a Templar

Is Dunmer a decent race choice?
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Iziquiel wrote: »

My 2 cents, your options are DK or Templar. DKs do not have a class execute, but they frankly dont need one. Also, Templars execute just got a 20% nerf for next patch. A few pros and cons:

Better DPS next patch: DK
    Play at Melee: Both
    Play with mostly class skills: Both
    Easier Rotation: Templar, but DK is not bad
    Better Tank: DK, especially in trials
    Self Heals: Templar, but DK heals just got a buff
    Better Group Healer: Templar
    Better Sustain: DK

Both are very viable at end game. DK is going to pull ahead in terms of PVE DPS next patch, and will likely be topping the charts in trials. DKs are the undisputed best tanks at end game PVE and Templars are the undisputed best Healers at end game. Templars are a little easier out of the gates to play, no question. The only pushback to rolling a templar is that you are about 3 months too late. They have been on top for a long time and are probably getting nerfed harder than any other class this patch. DKs are getting buffs across the board. Just something to think about. Or do what I did and make both. Haha

As for Race: Dunmer for the DK no question. I would probably suggest Altmer for the Templar. Dunmer is probably a touch more DPS on paper, but Altmers sustain better and templars need all the help they can get in that department. Altmers or even Breton are better for healing than Dunmer.
    Edited by Oreyn_Bearclaw on January 31, 2017 11:06PM
  • thankyourat
    thankyourat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It depends magblade will deal a lot more damage than the other 2 , but the other 2 will be a little more tanky than the magblade. Magplar would probably be the easiest to play with mag dk and magblade being more effective once you get your rotations down. I would say if you play mainly solo go magblade, and if you play in a group either mag dk or magplar
  • makeumrage
    makeumrage
    ✭✭✭
    Warden B)
  • Laranoye
    Laranoye
    ✭✭✭
    makeumrage wrote: »
    Warden B)

This.. I'm so going to make a Mag Warden day one lol. Love nature classes. I'm hoping its going to be a staple healer class much like the Templar is now, to mix stuff up a bit.
  • Stannum
    Stannum
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you want DPSing tank take NB
    If you want tanky DPS take DK
  • Iziquiel
    Iziquiel
    ✭✭

My 2 cents, your options are DK or Templar. DKs do not have a class execute, but they frankly dont need one. Also, Templars execute just got a 20% nerf for next patch. A few pros and cons:

Both are very viable at end game. DK is going to pull ahead in terms of PVE DPS next patch, and will likely be topping the charts in trials. DKs are the undisputed best tanks at end game PVE and Templars are the undisputed best Healers at end game. Templars are a little easier out of the gates to play, no question. The only pushback to rolling a templar is that you are about 3 months too late. They have been on top for a long time and are probably getting nerfed harder than any other class this patch. DKs are getting buffs across the board. Just something to think about. Or do what I did and make both. Haha

As for Race: Dunmer for the DK no question. I would probably suggest Altmer for the Templar. Dunmer is probably a touch more DPS on paper, but Altmers sustain better and templars need all the help they can get in that department. Altmers or even Breton are better for healing than Dunmer.

Thank you for so much detail! I was drifting towards Templar, some of the skills such as Puncturing Sweep really catch my eye, but if Templar are likely to get nerfed and they have difficulty with sustain then I am thinking DK. At what level does the DK really begin to come into its own? or do I have to wait until end-game?

One aspect is that I am likely to be playing solo, I don't know if that has an impact on whether to go DK or Templar?

I will also spend a little bit of time tomorrow watching some YouTube videos on both classes to see if either appeal more to me!
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you for so much detail! I was drifting towards Templar, some of the skills such as Puncturing Sweep really catch my eye, but if Templar are likely to get nerfed and they have difficulty with sustain then I am thinking DK. At what level does the DK really begin to come into its own? or do I have to wait until end-game?

One aspect is that I am likely to be playing solo, I don't know if that has an impact on whether to go DK or Templar?

I will also spend a little bit of time tomorrow watching some YouTube videos on both classes to see if either appeal more to me!

Templar is getting nerf this patch, its not a question of if (see patch notes on PTS). Same with DK, but its a buff. DKs start feeling pretty strong around level 25 or 30 I would say. Templars, definitely earlier as Sweeps is your first skill you unlock. If all you want to do is solo questing, Templar is easier. If you want to play group content as a tank or DPS, DK is better.

Something I neglected to say earlier, a DK is going to go double staff for damage and a templar will go DW frontbar and staff backbar. Again, both are melee.
    It depends magblade will deal a lot more damage than the other 2 , but the other 2 will be a little more tanky than the magblade. Magplar would probably be the easiest to play with mag dk and magblade being more effective once you get your rotations down. I would say if you play mainly solo go magblade, and if you play in a group either mag dk or magplar

Please do not listen to this. Yes, mageblades can offer great burst in PVP (maybe the best), but they are not going to out DPS a mDK in PVE. What I will say about mageblade is that they are a great jack of all trades class. They have a skill for just about everything, and are very easy to play out of the gate. If you had to exclusively use class skills, mageblade would be very appealing. As a PVE DPS however, they are basically weaker versions of sorcs. Mageblades typically play at range.
    Edited by Oreyn_Bearclaw on February 1, 2017 11:35PM
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Templars definitely DO NOT have a problem with sustain, you drop Channel Focus and receive Magicka back every .5/s add on a couple of Cost Reduction enchants and use an Altmer, and you never run out of Magicka and can constantly self-heal with Sweep, burst heal, and even the 21% nerf to RO isn't a big deal because it still hits like a truck to enemies below 50% health. Everyone acts like Templars are getting this huge nerf, they are not, they were already way strong, and they are getting the updated Purifying Light which will add to the Templar's burst DPS.
    Edited by ADarklore on February 2, 2017 1:02AM
    CP: 1880 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • hmsdragonfly
    hmsdragonfly
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's the rule: You need a race for a magicka class? Breton, Dunmer, Altmer and Argonian will all work well.
    Depend on the playstyle, some may be slightly better than others (about 1%-2% better), but all are good.
    Edited by hmsdragonfly on February 2, 2017 3:27AM
    Aldmeri Dominion Loyalist. For the Queen!
  • thankyourat
    thankyourat
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Templar is getting nerf this patch, its not a question of if (see patch notes on PTS). Same with DK, but its a buff. DKs start feeling pretty strong around level 25 or 30 I would say. Templars, definitely earlier as Sweeps is your first skill you unlock. If all you want to do is solo questing, Templar is easier. If you want to play group content as a tank or DPS, DK is better.

Something I neglected to say earlier, a DK is going to go double staff for damage and a templar will go DW frontbar and staff backbar. Again, both are melee.

Please do not listen to this. Yes, mageblades can offer great burst in PVP (maybe the best), but they are not going to out DPS a mDK in PVE. What I will say about mageblade is that they are a great jack of all trades class. They have a skill for just about everything, and are very easy to play out of the gate. If you had to exclusively use class skills, mageblade would be very appealing. As a PVE DPS however, they are basically weaker versions of sorcs. Mageblades typically play at range.

What I said was completely right. if he is playing PvP, magblade is stronger for solo PvP than both magplar and mag dk and it's stronger by a wide margin simply because neither mag dk or magplar offer high burst damage. You can also play magblade at range or melee in PvP, and be effective something the other two classes don't offer. If he is trying to be a dedicated DPS for a raid than magblade wouldn't be the best choice, but if he wants to play solo content than magblade brings more to the table than the other two classes
    • Uses mainly class abilities
    • Ideally has a class execute ability (is there a staff one?)
    • Has self-heal/sustain abilities quite early in their skill lines
    • Doesn’t have a really difficult skill rotation

What's he's looking for also sounds more like magblade than the other two. Magblade has a class execute, class healing, and the best self sustain out of the 3. if he's trying to be in competitive trials than yes magblade wouldn't be a good option but for literally everything else in the game magblade is better for especially for solo content and PvP. So if he ever plans on playing PvP magblade sounds like it's the best choice from him from what he explained. If all he wants to do is PvE than magplar sounds like what he's looking for. So if you prioritize PvP more I think you'll enjoy magblade the most, and if you plan on doing just PvE I think magplar, and if you plan on doing both and you enjoy playing solo I also think you will enjoy magblade the most. Note though that PvE magblade is much more effective at range the melee magblade is basically for PvP only
  • Cadbury
    Cadbury
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mag Templar.

For a class that gets either neglected or nerfed, they always seem to survive the changes.
    "If a person is truly desirous of something, perhaps being set on fire does not seem so bad."
  • hmsdragonfly
    hmsdragonfly
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Ummm, no.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0T4vxgRdN8

So, OP, for most people their main is always the best, all other classes suck, and at the same time their main also always gets nerfed to the point it is unplayable. Best class is the class you are comfortable with, granted that you want to enjoy both PvP and PvE.
    ZOS's balancing issues come from gear, to be fair class balancing is not the worst. Gear balancing is another story.
    Edited by hmsdragonfly on February 2, 2017 4:34AM
    Aldmeri Dominion Loyalist. For the Queen!
  • Iziquiel
    Iziquiel
    ✭✭
    Thanks everyone for the input. Having watched a few videos from Alcast, Deltia and a couple of others I have decided to stay with my gut which says Templar, so I am going to create an Altmer Templar.

I have a feeling though that before too long I will create a Dunmer Dragonknight...