The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

PSA: Free inn rooms and buying houses with gold

Danikat
Danikat
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
Just a quick reminder or clarification for anyone who wasn't aware:

There are 3 inn rooms which can be unlocked completely free. There's one for each alliance and all you need to do is complete a short quest and buy or craft 1 piece of furniture. If you have 1 character in each alliance (or you're willing to make one) you can unlock them all for free. Alternatively you can unlock 1 and then pay 3,000g each to unlock the other two. They're pretty small and don't hold many items but functionally they're the same as the other houses and arguably some of the most useful as they're all in major cities so you can teleport to them and then step out the door for all the facilities.

You can also buy any or all of the other apartments and houses for gold. Ranging from 11,000g for the smallest apartment room to 3,785,000g for the biggest mansion.

So if you're thinking the crown prices are insane and there's no way you're willing to pay it you're not locked out of housing - you can spend gold instead.

(It's also worth remembering that it's literally just a free teleport to a fixed location somewhere in the world and a space to decorate - if you never even got the free inn rooms you still wouldn't be actually missing out on anything useful.)
PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Cadbury
    Cadbury
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A free room is the least I should get. I'm the freaking Vestige. B)

"If a person is truly desirous of something, perhaps being set on fire does not seem so bad."
  • bikerangelo
    bikerangelo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cadbury wrote: »

And thus you'll get a vestigial apartment for free... kinda walked into that one.
  • Flaminir
    Flaminir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Imposter!!!!

I'M the Vestige!!
    GM of the Unholy Legacy
    EU/EP
    Sorcerer Flaminir (Magicka) / Staminir (Stamina)
    Templar Elixiia (Magicka/Healer) / Lotti Velooni (Magicka)
    DragonKnight Xalora Flaminar (Tank) / Unholy-Dragon-Toad (Tank)
    Nightblade Aimee Owlious (Magicka) / Myttens (Stamina)
    Warden: Frosti-Tute (Magicka/Healer) Boops-Many-Snoots (Stamina/Tank)
  • everseeing_njpreub18_ESO
    Ive gone through all the homes on PTS a dozen times trying to pick my favorites and even some of the small homes are very nice for people who dont want to pay a lot.

Autums Gate (for me) is a very nice small house with a small yard but plenty for basic homebuyers and at 60k gold should be reachable for most people. Cyrodilic Jungle House and Twin Arches are my 2 and 3, also nice yards and homes for affordable gold costs (IMO).

So i agree with the above, if the release of crown prices and the expected aftermath on the forums is worrying anyone, there are nice affordable choices.
  • ThePaleItalian
    ThePaleItalian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ive gone through all the homes on PTS a dozen times trying to pick my favorites and even some of the small homes are very nice for people who dont want to pay a lot.

Autums Gate (for me) is a very nice small house with a small yard but plenty for basic homebuyers and at 60k gold should be reachable for most people. Cyrodilic Jungle House and Twin Arches are my 2 and 3, also nice yards and homes for affordable gold costs (IMO).

So i agree with the above, if the release of crown prices and the expected aftermath on the forums is worrying anyone, there are nice affordable choices.

I agree, I think most of the people upset about paying with crowns is because there is no storage. Thus ZoS is greedy and going to die again..... for like the 500th time.
    Conan, what is good in life?
    Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.

PS4 Screen Name: The_Pale_Italian
    ZweiHandler - Orc DK Tank
    Solstice StormHaven - Magika Sorc
    Oba Nobanaga - Stam NB
  • Cadbury
    Cadbury
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

And thus you'll get a vestigial apartment for free... kinda walked into that one.

hVgiWz5.png
    Flaminir wrote: »

Imposter!!!!

I'M the Vestige!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOyPsl0bI1g[/url]
    "If a person is truly desirous of something, perhaps being set on fire does not seem so bad."
  • AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm going to check them all out when they come out and then pick some based on my characters' needs and personalities.

I don't care about getting the biggest house.
    The Moot Councillor
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I think buying small houses might actually be the sensible option. Many of them look really nice, some are in good locations and I think you actually get more of an item allowance for your money.

I spent a lot of time trying to convince myself to forget about role-playing and immersion and what my characters would buy and just pick the small houses which I liked because it would work out cheaper, even if I got all of them. Apparently my guys have expensive taste. (My argonian is now my favourite for wanting Humblemud.)

But I couldn't get over how much I liked Mournoth Keep and how it checked all the boxes for what I and my characters wanted. So now I'm saving up 325,000. (20k down, only 305k to go!)
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

• jedtb16_ESO
    jedtb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Flaminir wrote: »

Imposter!!!!

I'M the Vestige!!

no... you are both wrong...

i am the vestige. but, given my experience so far, i don't expect to get anything for nothing.

i mean i was dead ffs.... then i get dragged back and manipulated in some kind of weird internecine strife trying to get my soul back..... jeeeez you could have just left me dead, at least i was happy then.

but no... sort this out, solve that.....want, want, want that's all i ever get.....it's worse than having a family.

anyway.... um, i'll buy something big and flash.... 'cos i can.
  • SunnyBunny
    SunnyBunny
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you very much for posting this - I was not aware that you had to pay for the free apartment if you are not in that faction - I guess it was worth it to make all those other alts - lol

BUT just an FYI - if you are paying for your house in gold, there are achievements linked to getting the house. I didn't find this out till I went to go and actually buy it. My Orc is not a very high level and we are still working our way through the zones. So I hadn't unlocked it yet. I was disappointed (i can only blame myself as i wasn't aware of the needing of the things). BUT silver lining....I am lvling up, finding all types of future need stuff (like wax), picking flowers and discovering places I have NEVER seen before.
    Lone Wolf Help ~ Royal Bank of Tamriel ~ Black Market Wares

I Know I'm Lost

*Ernestina - Imperial Temp
    *Ennus - Bosmer Sorc
    *Greavy - Orc DK
    *Somniate - Ra Gada NB
    *Cilano - Imperial DK
    *Ba'Raka - Khajiit Warden
    *Bird In Hand - Argonian Templar
  • Sinbag
    Sinbag
    wait i can buy a house with gold instead of crowns?
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Danikat wrote: »

You can also buy any or all of the other apartments and houses for gold. Ranging from 11,000g for the smallest apartment room to 3,785,000g for the biggest mansion.

So if you're thinking the crown prices are insane and there's no way you're willing to pay it you're not locked out of housing - you can spend gold instead.

I think it's worth stressing that by the same token if you feel that the gold prices for most of the houses is absurdly high given the size of the smaller ones and the cost of the bigger ones, especially if you're not a hardcore trader, then the crown option is a very viable one especially if you're a subscriber.

Crown prices only look insane if you don't know what mounts cost :smiley: !
  • Sigtric
    Sigtric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crown prices didn't hurt me so much considering I had gotten 9k crowns two days before homestead for my 6month renewal of plus and using crowns on the big house I wanted made it easier to swallow the gold costs of some of the achievement furnishings I bought.

Stormproof: Vibeke - 50 EP mDragonknight | Savi Dreloth - 50 EP Magsorc | Sadi Dreloth - 50 EP Magblade | Sigtric Stormaxe - 50 EP Stamsorc | Valora Dreloth - 50 EP Magplar | Sigtric the Unbearable 50 EP Stam Warden
    Scrub: Chews-on-Beavers - 50 EP DK Tank | Vera the Wild - 50 EP magicka Warden | Sigtric the Axe - 50 EP Dragonknight Crafter | Sigtric the Blade - 50 EP Lost Nightblade | Sigtric the Savage - 50 EP magicka Templar | Vibeka Shadowblade - 50 Ep Stealthy Ganky Nightblade |

Show Me Your Dunmer
    [/center]
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »
    Danikat wrote: »

I think it's worth stressing that by the same token if you feel that the gold prices for most of the houses is absurdly high given the size of the smaller ones and the cost of the bigger ones, especially if you're not a hardcore trader, then the crown option is a very viable one especially if you're a subscriber.

Crown prices only look insane if you don't know what mounts cost :smiley: !

That's true, but this topic was made 2 weeks ago when the crown prices for unfurnished houses had just been announced and many people were freaking out that it's too expensive and the entire update is a scam to force us to spend far too much money on the game.

Earlier the same day polls had been showing that many people had enough gold for at least one house and some had enough for all the manors so I was trying to provide some perspective by reminding people that is an option.
    Edited by Danikat on February 7, 2017 5:20PM