The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 6:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – May 6, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)

New magic user pve.

Chiefpoppasquat
I'm creating a magica toon for first time always been a tank or stam dps. So my question would be without malestrom staves or anything like that which magic class parse the best overall dps? Sorcer templar nightblabe? I left dragon knight out for simple reason is my tank and stam dps and main are all dks. So what o wanna know is for vet trials what would be the best class overall to dps. I'm not interested in being a full time healer for simple fact that I don't believe I would excel as healer. I'm not worried about gear I know between burning spell moon dance infal will power juliounas tbs I could piece together sets that would be bis. So class/race combo and destro/dw destro/restro destro/destro what would be ideal for noob mag. Also keep in mind I would be learning new rotations as well
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pick a race which has bonus magicka stats: High Elf, Dark Elf, Breton
    All classes can pull good DPS ATM and in next patch, except Nightblade, which has had the cost of a skill increased
    If you don't have any gear already farmed, you can just go with crafted. A beginner combo would be:

5 Law of Julianos (full divines, preferably lower body, heavy chest and medium legs or feet, rest light, to get the maximum resistance as well as the undaunted mettle stats passive)
    3 Willpower Jewelry (Arcane) - has dropped in price a lot lately
    3 Torug's Pact (divines light head and shoulders, sharpened inferno/lightning staves)

You can farm a monster set (Ilambris if you are sorcerer, Grothdarr if you are Templar or DK, also Skoria works) to replace the crafted head and shoulders. Other good options are BSW, with body pieces, head, shoulders jewelry or weapons (if you are lucky), and just craft other pieces of Julianos to keep the bonuses. There are really many options out there.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
    Options
  • Chiefpoppasquat
    Ok thank you already hqvr skoriabdivine shoulder qnd llqmbris helm and will power arcane. What's class has a easier learning curve Templar or sorcer.
    Options
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Templar and sorcerer are both pretty easy, with simple rotations that include both class and destro staff skills. Both are also very survivable since sorcerer heals on every critical hit, if you keep power surge up, and the main templar spamable is also a strong heal. I've played both a bit and I saw no real difference in difficulty. DK is more complicated, because most of your skills are DoT and you have to keep them up to attain maximum DPS. DK is somewhat less survivable, even with the revamped heal.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    Member of:

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle

PC-NA CP 1800+
    Member of:

Characters:
    Options
  • Chiefpoppasquat
    I appreciate it. I know I'm not making mag dk although dk is by far favorite class. So on Templar or sorcer destro/destro is the way to go? Or destro/dw. Im also leaning towards the high elf. Nothing against the dark elf just like the max mag and rwcorvery passive more than the little bit of fire damage passive
    Options
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Each race has its advantages.
    - In addition to +10% maximum magicka High Elf has +9% magicka recovery, but in practice that doesn't amount to much sustain, since in group content you will generally run with low recovery and rely on elemental drain and orbs from healers for sustain. Also high elf has +4% bonus to all elemental damage, which helps DPS since some class abilities do elemental damage, and all destruction staff abilities are elemental.
    - Breton has the same +10% maximum magicka as High Elf, 3% spell cost reduction and also high spell resistance, but no bonus elemental damage. The spell resistance is quite useful, since most unblockable damage is magical in nature.
    - Dark Elf has +9% maximum magicka (that 1% really is negligible) but has +6% stamina; that can actually prove useful because you need stamina for blocking, break free and roll dodging. Additionally it has flame damage, which is useful since a lot of damage in PvE content is fire. Lastly it has +7% flame damage, which is good, especially with the changes in next patch - flame staff will have bonus single target damage; also +2% bonus to frost and shock damage.
    Overall the 3 races are pretty close and endgame there will be little difference in damage output. http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Races

The DW passive Blade and Blunt will receive a nerf next patch, but there won't be such a direct sustain penalty for using it, since now the debuffs are standardized as "minor magicka steal" meaning that you will get magicka back on each attack regardless if it's elemental or not - currently Elemental Drain requires the damage is elemental in nature to restore magicka and most elemental damage was from staff attacks. However, there will be an indirect penalty for all magicka sustain since Force Siphon won't stack with Elemental Drain anymore to provide added recovery from attacks. That means that if you want to sustain you will most likely need to use a staff to weave heavy attacks from time to time. The only class that still benefits from DW is Templar, since it has restoring focus which gives great sustain anyway and the main class attack, Puncturing Sweep, has short range. DW weaving can be used to build ultimate, proc enchants and even gain back a little stamina for blocking and roll dodging which is required more in melee range. Also DW provides an extra set slot compared to staff. But for every other class, staff is better.

PC-EU CP 3000+
    Member of:

Characters:

PC-NA CP 1800+
    Member of:

Characters:
    Options
  • Chiefpoppasquat
    Thank you everyone for being so helpful. It is nice to see people helping others. And I appreciate all the advice given.
    Options