The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Cyrodiil is great

Vogtard
Vogtard
✭✭✭
Cyrodiil is a very good looking, well prepared place for the pvp activities.
Too bad it's mostly empty.

It's not that there are no people there, it's just they are all clustered in 1-2 zerg armies bouncing between the keeps in straight lines.
I can understand the majesty of an allied group performing a siege on a huge castle, with all the heavy weapons, tactics, lags, and insta deaths. War never changes.
In my opinion however, this game offers great smaller scale pvp possibilites ranging from 1v1 to 10v10. There has been some talk about arenas and battlegrounds, and as much as I hope they will get implemented (no eta?), maybe we can get something before that. Something simpler but effectivier.

I have some remarks that crossed my mind during my recent visits in that potentially fantastic place.

First and foremost, Cyrodiil would greatly benefit from spreading the players over the area. This would help with gameplay as well as performance.
The fundamental idea is to discourage the players from forming large groups.

- How about giving each player a buff/debuff (maybe battle spirit mod, maybe protection/vulnerability) scaling with the amount of other allied players in a 30-50m radius. It's not really about normalizing the strength of differently sized groups, but to introduce a behavioral discomfort of being a lemming. Some players would chose to stay away from crowds and therefore be forced to use different routes, increasing the chances of smaller brawls. Some would still choose to remain in larger groups and benefit from the numbers. Elder Scrolls is known for scaling, so this could work.
The AoE limit is getting better next patch, and might help, but we need more than that. Also, there should be more genocide, zerg wipe skills like eye of the storm, but oriented towards countering crowds. Just make it scale like prox detonation. At the same time, it would not be so ridiculously op in smaller pvp.
Numbers usually play a major role in pvp. If I'm in a 2-3 people group, I would usually stay away from groups of 10+. Nowadays, it is even impossible to divide and spread larger groups because of the gap closers with 30km range.

- I had some fun time hunting skyshards in Cyrodiil. Carefully riding in a duo behind enemy lines with eyes on our backs... 90% of the time it was empty. This 10% were the times when we met other people like us. Delve ganks are really fun, but there is no reason to go there more than once. How about putting something more worth fighting for, e.g. a world boss (something that can be killed with 2-3 people) that drops a fixed amount of gold/mats, divided by the amount of people killing him. Something not being worth zerging tho.

- As much as fighting at the keeps is fun for the first 30 minutes, there should be a bit more to do out there. The idea of mills/mines/farm is the right direction and gives some strategy. But again, 5 seconds after attacking a resource with a small group, I always get swarmed by a zerg. Like they were waiting for any action to happen and just rush a single point with all they got, instead of having fun all over the map. Would be nice to have something to do in the world without attracting the large groups, e.g. collecting some very minor resources in the forests useful for the alliance war, protecting/attacking a caravan, etc..

It is likely that some of those ideas already appeared in the past. Even if so, It's still good to mark their importance.
  • Ilmarthethief
    Ilmarthethief
    ✭✭✭
    Make Cyrodiil and IC PvE zones and introduce some instanced PvP areas.
  • Gargath
    Gargath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Afaik zerg armies are far from retaking cities, where I never spotted a large groups. Retaking city alone or with a friend is such a thrilling experience :).
    Edited by Gargath on January 23, 2017 12:41PM
    PC EU (PL): 14 characters. ESO player since 06.08.2015. Farkas finest quote: "Some people don't think I'm smart. Those people get my fist. But you, I like."
  • TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is really nothing stopping organized groups from different alliances forming planned battles at some of the awesome open spaces in Cyrodiil.

Truth is it is hard enough to get people to go and actually siege keeps.

Most just fight at Alessia bridge or do battle in text chat. :D