Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Frame rate drops in trials/pvp!

jpeter88
jpeter88
✭✭✭
hi there ive played eso since day one on xbox with some breaks here and there but i always seem to come back. One major issue i have is what i think is frame rate drop when i get around people in pvp or when im doing 12 man trials. In all other aspects of the game i get zero lag, no long load times.

I was just wondering if there are some ideas on why this is happening and some potential fixes. i have been trying to complete some hard modes in trials but the frame rate drop makes playing at a high level very very hard. they are playable but its very hard to tell what im doing and skills/barswaps are delayed. could this be something on my end?

I have fiber 100mb down/10 up......im hard wired into router.......NAT is open.......turned combat numbers off.........put costumes and pets away. nothing seems to help

i thought maybe it was my router as it is getting kinda old (5 years) but i tried to plug directly into the wall ( basically from the fiber hub coming into the house directly to the xbox so it was the only thing being used and the problem was unchanged)

anyway if anyone much smarter then i am has any input on something i could try let me know.
561 Dark elf mDK
561 Redguard stam DK
561 Redguard stam sorc
561 khajiit stam nm
561 high elf mag nb
561 high elf mag sorc
561 bretan mag templar
561 imperial stam dk tank
561 imperial stam temp
  • Excaltic
    Excaltic
    ✭✭✭
    The lag in ESO is due to:

- Everything is server based, and not client based: Buffs, damage, movement, casting, etc. Everything you do on your client has to be ""accepted" and "agreed" on by the server itself, which sends back commands to the client that things are accepted. This creates insane and totally unnecessary lag on consoles. They introduced this to PC coding due to cheatengine cheating where they change client coding (which isn't possible on console, but yeah...) and since console is a downgraded PC port, we get all the problems with it, even while cheateninges aren't possible on consoles...

- Console CPU (not the GPU in this case) are complete weaksauce parts. Having multiple players and lots of monsters on your screen takes a lot of CPU power, this creates lag, but not as much we're experience right now. The server <-> client coding is the main reason.

- Build in better enhanced texture buffer clearing code, since this game seems to gather all used textures in it's memory, but doesn't clear them afterwards, this is another reason why this game lags so much. With it's buffers (RAM) full, the game can't load new textures, if needed). Ever seen transparant castle's in PVP, ever seen ultra low resolution ground textures after using a wayshrine that don't get high res even after 1 minute of waiting? This is the reason...

The way ZOS can fix this is remove the heavy anti-cheat protection on consoles (which isn't needed on consoles, since less then 0.0001% of console players could even use cheats on consoles, in contrast to PC where more then 50% of the players could easily use cheats if they wanted) and make more coding client based on consoles. And of course implement aggressive buffer clearing code on consoles to avoid memory fill ups.
  • jpeter88
    jpeter88
    ✭✭✭
    Excaltic wrote: »
    The lag in ESO is due to:

- Everything is server based, and not client based: Buffs, damage, movement, casting, etc. Everything you do on your client has to be ""accepted" and "agreed" on by the server itself, which sends back commands to the client that things are accepted. This creates insane and totally unnecessary lag on consoles. They introduced this to PC coding due to cheatengine cheating where they change client coding (which isn't possible on console, but yeah...) and since console is a downgraded PC port, we get all the problems with it, even while cheateninges aren't possible on consoles...

- Console CPU (not the GPU in this case) are complete weaksauce parts. Having multiple players and lots of monsters on your screen takes a lot of CPU power, this creates lag, but not as much we're experience right now. The server <-> client coding is the main reason.

- Build in better enhanced texture buffer clearing code, since this game seems to gather all used textures in it's memory, but doesn't clear them afterwards, this is another reason why this game lags so much. With it's buffers (RAM) full, the game can't load new textures, if needed). Ever seen transparant castle's in PVP, ever seen ultra low resolution ground textures after using a wayshrine that don't get high res even after 1 minute of waiting? This is the reason...

The way ZOS can fix this is remove the heavy anti-cheat protection on consoles (which isn't needed on consoles, since less then 0.0001% of console players could even use cheats on consoles, in contrast to PC where more then 50% of the players could easily use cheats if they wanted) and make more coding client based on consoles. And of course implement aggressive buffer clearing code on consoles to avoid memory fill ups.

100% jiberish to me lol but makes a lot of sense, if i was to upgrade my xbox to the one s would it improve my RAM and maybe help with some of the frame rate drops? or am i way off
    561 Dark elf mDK
    561 Redguard stam DK
    561 Redguard stam sorc
    561 khajiit stam nm
    561 high elf mag nb
    561 high elf mag sorc
    561 bretan mag templar
    561 imperial stam temp
  • Excaltic
    Excaltic
    ✭✭✭
    jpeter88 wrote: »
    100% jiberish to me lol but makes a lot of sense, if i was to upgrade my xbox to the one s would it improve my RAM and maybe help with some of the frame rate drops? or am i way off

This would do absolutely nothing, the performance incease between the X1 and X1s is about 3%, so if you would have a terrible 5fps with the usual super lag, you would now have 5 x 1.03 = 5.15 fps, which is still 5fps... ;)

Only ZOS can fix this, but since rewriting eso's code for the slow current consoles would cost a lot of time and money, so don't count on it happening.

Especially with the next gen Xbox Scorpio console coming at the end of this year with a theoretical performance increase of around 450%.
  • jpeter88
    jpeter88
    ✭✭✭
    Excaltic wrote: »
    jpeter88 wrote: »

This would do absolutely nothing, the performance incease between the X1 and X1s is about 3%, so if you would have a terrible 5fps with the usual super lag, you would now have 5 x 1.03 = 5.15 fps, which is still 5fps... ;)

Only ZOS can fix this, but since rewriting eso's code for the slow current consoles would cost a lot of time and money, so don't count on it happening.

Especially with the next gen Xbox Scorpio console coming at the end of this year with a theoretical performance increase of around 450%.

Yea i cant wait for that to release, hopefully it helps a bit......contemplating on just buying a good gaming pc and switching lol
    561 Dark elf mDK
    561 Redguard stam DK
    561 Redguard stam sorc
    561 khajiit stam nm
    561 high elf mag nb
    561 high elf mag sorc
    561 bretan mag templar
    561 imperial stam temp