Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Templar Trials Tank Guide(DKs are for wimps)

Gaggin
Gaggin
✭✭✭✭
https://youtube.com/watch?v=6kROoi6ybSc&t=1328s

This is my vet trials guide for Templar tanking. I'm not much on making guides or anything like that, but there's almost no info on tanking for Templars so I decided to share my build. This is for endgame content, vet trials and their hardmodes and vDSA. Almost everyone runs a dk tank, and the few templars I've seen tank trials have left me feeling embarrassed for the class. With the exception of exactly 1 boss fight(twins and chains) there's no reason not to run a Templar if you want to. I have not seen anyone else tank trials like this, so I hope you will seriously consider it. I can tank up to 4 axes with no heals or shards, survive the warrior's channeled on my own, and i can even keep the group up should both healers go down. It's a really fun and rewarding build that makes you more than a bag of stats that holds block.

If any other Templar tanks have any helpful hints to improve on this, be sure to share with the class.

Note that I slapped this together in a day, so it's not the best quality. I put cp points in at the end cus I forgot. Also note that the gear is for the hard-hitting bosses, the ebon/alkosh sets are well-known and should be used when tankiness is not needed, so I didn't feel the need to go over it. You should have one of those sets to switch in/out as needed.

Also I know I should name this build cus that's what everyone does, so i'm open to suggestions.

Thanks for everyone at Recon Team 6 for being the best guild no one's heard of.
  • actosh
    actosh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice vid and build.
    What i cant understand is that u refer ebon/alkosh to only be used when tankiness is not needed.

I use both on my stam nb tank and have capped resistances.
  • Gaggin
    Gaggin
    ✭✭✭✭
    Okay, so on fights like axes, you don't benefit at all from alkosh, and the ebon isn't helpful in fights where you tank or offtank away from the party(or if other tank has it), so you should switch to something like histbark or dragon accordingly. It's whatever you feel comfortable with, but you should properly gear yourself for each fight, not just rely on one blanket setup. The resists aren't so important, its the effects you get from the sets.
  • actosh
    actosh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On the axes i wear other stuff.
    Besides that in every fight as Mt i'm close to the group. If the fight calls for it gear will be swapped but that doesnt happen that often :)
  • Gaggin
    Gaggin
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not that familiar with NB tanking, but the gear setup from dk to Templar is pretty much the same, I cant imagine it'd be too different for a NB. I've never seen s NB do a decent job in vet trials TBH.
  • actosh
    actosh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gaggin wrote: »
    I'm not that familiar with NB tanking, but the gear setup from dk to Templar is pretty much the same, I cant imagine it'd be too different for a NB. I've never seen s NB do a decent job in vet trials TBH.

Thats because most nb tanks r the so called sap tanks(mag based) wich r fun and pretty strong in 4man dungeons but loose a lot of their utility in v trials.

Besides that i think they r as rare as templars when it comes to v trial tanks.
    I personaly only know 2 nb tanks and 1 templer tank that do a decent job. Sadly i didnt record our last vet hel ra hm run.
    Maybe next time and then i provide a link and u can see for yourself if it was decent.
  • Baconlad
    Baconlad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Id love to see a shieldplar take on a trial as tank XD
  • Gaggin
    Gaggin
    ✭✭✭✭
    No you wouldn't, its an ugly sight.
  • JUL1US
    JUL1US
    nice build seems like it would be fun to try. what is that addon you use to change the equipped/apparel section and add quality and glow etc to it?
  • Gaggin
    Gaggin
    ✭✭✭✭
    I use alphagear(I think that's the one you're talking about). It's absolutely a must-have, it also recharges your weapons automatically, so you'll never have to right-click recharge again.
  • JUL1US
    JUL1US
    that addon is great tyvm for replying it was the 1 i was talking about.
  • Oki_the_Scarred
    Oki_the_Scarred
    Soul Shriven
    @Gaggin I am currently running your build through just normal 4 man content with a group of friends and having a blast. I was curious what you would recommend as far as enchantments on your gear if I can't/won't be able to get tri-stat enchants for some time.

Thanks and cheers.
  • MethTheMadman
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=6kROoi6ybSc&t=1328s

This is my vet trials guide for Templar tanking. I'm not much on making guides or anything like that, but there's almost no info on tanking for Templars so I decided to share my build. This is for endgame content, vet trials and their hardmodes and vDSA. Almost everyone runs a dk tank, and the few templars I've seen tank trials have left me feeling embarrassed for the class. With the exception of exactly 1 boss fight(twins and chains) there's no reason not to run a Templar if you want to. I have not seen anyone else tank trials like this, so I hope you will seriously consider it. I can tank up to 4 axes with no heals or shards, survive the warrior's channeled on my own, and i can even keep the group up should both healers go down. It's a really fun and rewarding build that makes you more than a bag of stats that holds block.

If any other Templar tanks have any helpful hints to improve on this, be sure to share with the class.

Note that I slapped this together in a day, so it's not the best quality. I put cp points in at the end cus I forgot. Also note that the gear is for the hard-hitting bosses, the ebon/alkosh sets are well-known and should be used when tankiness is not needed, so I didn't feel the need to go over it. You should have one of those sets to switch in/out as needed.

Also I know I should name this build cus that's what everyone does, so i'm open to suggestions.

Thanks for everyone at Recon Team 6 for being the best guild no one's heard of.

Any chance you could write this up like they do at other build sites? I'm terrible at following YouTube video guides. If not, that's cool too.

Thanks for taking the time to do this.
  • Funkopotamus
    Funkopotamus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is great to see.

I also love tanking on my Templar.. Anyone with thumbs can tank with a DK.. It takes SKILL to tank with a Templar. Tanking with a DK is for drooling monkeys! Using WH every 45 seconds is NOT player skill lol..

I have ran a Templar Tank from day one and I have no problem tanking just about everything in this game. Not trying to brag, but I have a huge friends list from my tanking and on some days I get bombed with invites for runs before I can even feed my horse when I log in.

I spent a few months trying to come up with a strong Templar tank for trials. I was lucky enough to meet a few great players that are playing Templar Tanks and have ran VDSA and V trials. After gathering all of the info and picking the brains of a handful of simply amazing Templartanks I was able to build a tank I can tank trials with. We came up with a saying that when it comes to tanking in ESO. DK'sR4BK's :p

Templar tanking is not for everyone, but for those who love a challenge Templar tanks are awesome!
    Edited by Funkopotamus on February 12, 2017 11:42PM
    Anything useful that players are wanting added into the game all fall under the category of "Yer ruinin my 'mersion!" Sallington
  • Bowser
    Bowser
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Mashed Potato.
    @King-Koopa
    World First DK Tank Execute on Rakkhat HM
    Play how you want - no meta allowed!
  • Xrucible
    Xrucible
    ✭✭✭
    Bowser wrote: »

Mashed Potato.

Sounds about right.. I don't really see how you could provide better group utility compared to a DK tank.. Your bars are setup only to survive and it doesn't give anything else that a DK tank provides.. Igneous shields, Talons and Vigor.. You also don't get any healing received bonuses and that forces healers to stay on you more than they should..
    On a long break from ESO.
  • Funkopotamus
    Funkopotamus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xrucible wrote: »

Mashed Potato.

Sounds about right.. I don't really see how you could provide better group utility compared to a DK tank.. Your bars are setup only to survive and it doesn't give anything else that a DK tank provides.. Igneous shields, Talons and Vigor.. You also don't get any healing received bonuses and that forces healers to stay on you more than they should..

Xrucible has a point, but it is a point that I myself and my guildmates do not always agree with..

I mean the tanks job is to TANK and HOLD AGRO..
    It is NOT to provide the group with buffs and do very much else than TANK!
    I know I know. People in todays games like ESO are spoiled and want/expect the tank to provide all of those unnecessary extras.

If you are in the right group then you shouldn't need to do all of that.. Just do YOUR job and the group should do theirs.

I find that the only people that bring this up are the DKS because they want to think that only a DK is able/should be tanking end game content.
    Edited by Funkopotamus on February 13, 2017 12:49AM
    Anything useful that players are wanting added into the game all fall under the category of "Yer ruinin my 'mersion!" Sallington
  • Xrucible
    Xrucible
    ✭✭✭

Mashed Potato.

Xrucible has a point, but it is a point that I myself and my guildmates do not always agree with..

I know I know. People in todays games like ESO are spoiled and want/expect the tank to provide all of those unnecessary extras.

If you are in the right group then you shouldn't need to do all of that.. Just do YOUR job and the group should do theirs.

I find that the only people that bring this up are the DKS because they want to think that only a DK is able/should be tanking end game content.

Well as you mentioned tanking and holding aggo is not the only job of a tank in ESO.. If a tank cannot pump out group buffs and help with group sustain he is considered useless in end game raiding teams.. Same goes for healers.. Tanks and healers are considered supports for DPS because this game is DPS centric.. It is a flaw with the game design and untill that changes, a Templar tank will never take the spot of a DK tank in trials..

In ESO it is your job to provide group support not just to tank and hold aggro..
  • Oompuh
    Oompuh
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Mashed Potato.

I would agree if aggro and taking damage was harder than pressing a skill and holding block. It's very easy to "tank", but a good tank fills that down time with group debuffs and buffs and doesn't stand there falling asleep with LT/RMB held down.

Edited by Oompuh on February 13, 2017 1:18AM
    Xbox NA - Oompa
    Khajiit DK Tank
    Founder of Major Aegis
    Main Tank of Dissonant Crusade Uprising Savages
  • Bowser
    Bowser
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oompuh wrote: »

Mashed Potato.

I would agree if aggro and taking damage was harder than pressing a skill and holding block. It's very easy to "tank", but a good tank fills that down time with group debuffs and buffs and doesn't stand there falling asleep with LT/RMB held down.

Even the laziest of DK tanks provide more group utility than potatoplars.
    @King-Koopa
  • Funkopotamus
    Funkopotamus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Mashed Potato.

Well as you mentioned tanking and holding aggo is not the only job of a tank in ESO.. If a tank cannot pump out group buffs and help with group sustain he is considered useless in end game raiding teams.. Same goes for healers.. Tanks and healers are considered supports for DPS because this game is DPS centric.. It is a flaw with the game design and untill that changes, a Templar tank will never take the spot of a DK tank in trials..

In ESO it is your job to provide group support not just to tank and hold aggro..

I must respectfully disagree here.. As I run with people who are in arguably the best PVE guild on console "Maze Runners" in our groups we run with Templar tanks AND DK at times., But my Templar tank and the person who has shown me first hand that Templar tanks can run HM trials and can run them quite well actually. As far as debuffs go Templars can do that aswell. it is not that hard actually.. I am interested to see exactly what content you are running that a Templar cannot tank/debuff the same as a DK? Most fights are over before there is any need for them as it is in this game.. ESO is NOT a game that requires much more that 2-3 mechanics to be met by the group.. If those are met then it doesn't matter if the tank is a dk or a Templar. If a tank and a sorc are doing their job then there honestly is not any content in this game that a group cannot complete with a Templar tank. I mean come on most content in ESO is basically at a level of "Babies first MMO"
    . The only reason to pick a DK over a Templar is if the player has no idea how to tank then yes they might want to go with a DK as it is just easy mode..

Now can I run with PUG groups who as you say are "Spoiled" by ESO jacked up DPS race content system? Maybe not.. But as aperson who plays with people from some of the top guilds on console I will tell you that Templar tanks are welcomed by top tier players that actually know what the heck they are doing..

It all comes down to flavor choice..It can also come down to the group. if the group is struggling an NEEDs the DK then yes a DK might be needed for some groups in some content, but most of the people I run with know that I and the two other Templars that tank with us can and DO tank everything in this game.. I am still working on a VMHm clear though.. But I took a break for a over a month and I will be working on that this month I hope.
    Edited by Funkopotamus on February 13, 2017 11:31PM
  • Oompuh
    Oompuh
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Mashed Potato.

I must respectfully disagree here.. As I run with people who are in arguably the best PVE guild on console "Maze Runners" in our groups we run with Templar tanks AND DK at times., But my Templar tank and the person who has shown me first hand that Templar tanks can run HM trials and can run them quite well actually.

Now can I run with PUG groups who as you say are "Spoiled" by ESO jacked up DPS race content system? Maybe not.. But as a member of one of the top guilds on console I will tell you that Templar tanks are welcomed by top tier players that actually know what the heck they are doing..

Okay, let me ask you this. What can your tank do that's special? All i saw from OP's video was selfish sets and ults and the ability to use a weak group heal.
    Edited by Oompuh on February 13, 2017 11:40PM
    Xbox NA - Oompa
    Khajiit DK Tank
    Founder of Major Aegis
    Main Tank of Dissonant Crusade Uprising Savages
  • Xrucible
    Xrucible
    ✭✭✭

Mashed Potato.

I must respectfully disagree here.. As I run with people who are in arguably the best PVE guild on console "Maze Runners" in our groups we run with Templar tanks AND DK at times., But my Templar tank and the person who has shown me first hand that Templar tanks can run HM trials and can run them quite well actually. As far as debuffs go Templars can do that aswell. it is not that hard actually.. I am interested to see exactly what content you are running that a Templar cannot tank/debuff the same as a DK? Most fights are over before there is any need for them as it is in this game.. ESO is NOT a game that requires much more that 2-3 mechanics to be met by the group.. If those are met then it doesn't matter if the tank is a dk or a Templar. If a tank and a sorc are doing their job then there honestly is not any content in this game that a group cannot complete with a Templar tank. I mean come on most content in ESO is basically at a level of "Babies first MMO"
    . The only reason to pick a DK over a Templar is if the player has no idea how to tank then yes they might want to go with a DK as it is just easy mode..

Now can I run with PUG groups who as you say are "Spoiled" by ESO jacked up DPS race content system? Maybe not.. But as aperson who plays with people from some of the top guilds on console I will tell you that Templar tanks are welcomed by top tier players that actually know what the heck they are doing..

It all comes down to flavor choice..It can also come down to the group. if the group is struggling an NEEDs the DK then yes a DK might be needed for some groups in some content, but most of the people I run with know that I and the two other Templars that tank with us can and DO tank everything in this game.. I am still working on a VMHm clear though.. But I took a break for a over a month and I will be working on that this month I hope.

I agree that Templar tanks are harder to play efficiently. In OP's video he doesn't run Ebon or Alkosh which are primary group support sets for tanks.. He uses defensive sets which are needed for his survivability.. I don't blame him its just a class limitation that he has to use those sets for his survival, on my DK I can afk tank the Warrior HM with Ebon and Alksoh.. I offtank vMoL in Powerul Assault and Alkosh.. Again like you mentioned this all becomes a moot point with the power creep and DPS getting stronger every patch..
  • Bowser
    Bowser
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    9TPWkyXl.png
    @King-Koopa
  • Funkopotamus
    Funkopotamus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Mashed Potato.

I agree that Templar tanks are harder to play efficiently. In OP's video he doesn't run Ebon or Alkosh which are primary group support sets for tanks.. He uses defensive sets which are needed for his survivability.. I don't blame him its just a class limitation that he has to use those sets for his survival, on my DK I can afk tank the Warrior HM with Ebon and Alksoh.. I offtank vMoL in Powerul Assault and Alkosh.. Again like you mentioned this all becomes a moot point with the power creep and DPS getting stronger every patch..

Yeah Xrucible we can damn sure agree on that !!

It all doesn't matter as of June we will all be seeing Wardens as the new flavor tanking class lol.
  • Gaggin
    Gaggin
    ✭✭✭✭

Mashed Potato.

I don't need any healing received bonuses, my self-heal allows healers to practically ignore me most of the time. BoL always smartheals at least one of the dps and is way better at keeping the group up. My current bar setup is gives the group heals, warhorn every 50 seconds, orbs, minor fracture/breach which helps us reach full pen without alkosh(offtank has alkosh anyway), talons are useless except in vmol with limited effectiveness. I specifically said in the video that this setup is for the hard-hitting fights, and the ebon/alkosh setup works just fine for other fights. Since the offtank has ebon no point in me having it on.

But then, you know all of this you're in my guild and we do our highest-scoring runs with me tanking them, if you feel I do not support the group enough as tank you're welcome to make your case, I'll let you tank HM axes next time so I can dps.