The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 13:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – May 13
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – May 14, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Optional Steps Quest

DragonDragonoide
DragonDragonoide
Soul Shriven
Hello, I'm in big doubt, I wanted to know what changes if I complete a quest without doing the optional steps? I mean, is there a saved record in my character that indicates whether or not I did the optional steps? I'm a perfectionist, and by carelessness, I ended up not doing one of the optional steps of the DLC "Dark Brotherhood - Welcome Home Mission", I wanted to know what is the difference between doing only the main quest and completing the optional steps along with the main goal! (Sorry for my bad english).
  • wayfarerx
    wayfarerx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    There are almost no quest choices in the game that actually have a noticeable impact after the quest completes. In fact I can only think of one and it is not in the DB DLC.
    @wayfarerx - PC / North America / Aldmeri Dominion
    Options
  • DragonDragonoide
    DragonDragonoide
    Soul Shriven
    Oh, and with regards to additional information, I would like to know if any kind of record about this, for example:
    Quest Completion Information "Welcome Home - Dark Brotherhood"
    Objective: Talk to Elam Drals - Done!

Optional Steps: Not completed!
    Optional Step: Meet Green-Venom-Tongue: Failed!
    Optional Step: Meet Kor and Hildegard: Failed!
    Optional Step: Meet Mirabelle and Cimbar: Failed!
    Optional Step: Meet Tanek: Failed!
    Optional Steps: Failed!

Sorry for my bad english², but I want help.
    Options
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Some quests need to be completed at specific areas. If you leave the area for some reason without doing the next quest step, you will see the "Quest Failed" message. Fear not, as soon as you go back to the area, the quest will continue as before as long as you did not abandon the quest.

edit: sounds like you left the DB area without talking to the other DB members as instructed. Just go back. You don't need to go through all dialogue options, unless that is your choice. You can end the dialogue as soon as you see, for example, Meet Tanek: Completed.
    Edited by Ourorboros on January 18, 2017 9:53PM
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    TANSTAAFL--->There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....Robert Heinlein
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)
    Options
  • DragonDragonoide
    DragonDragonoide
    Soul Shriven
    Ourorboros wrote: »
    Some quests need to be completed at specific areas. If you leave the area for some reason without doing the next quest step, you will see the "Quest Failed" message. Fear not, as soon as you back to the area, the quest will continue as before as long as you did not abandon the quest.

Firstly, I thank you for the comments ...
    Okay, I understood that part, but my real doubt is when I complete a quest without taking the optional step, you know? If it is saved in some sort of registration in my character, indicating if I completed the mission along with the optional steps or not ...
    Options
  • BlackSparrow
    BlackSparrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It doesn't really make a difference in the long run. In some quests, it's impossible to do all optional steps, because doing one step blocks you from doing a different one.

For that particular quest, the only thing you miss by progressing the quest without talking to your sanctuary-mates is learning more about them. A lot of the DB storyline involves those characters, their personalities, and their relationships with one another, so it's a good idea to get to know them before you move on. Otherwise, you may not always understand what's happening during the quests.

But if you're just looking for achievements? You're fine. All that's tracked is whether the quest itself is completed.
    Living vicariously through my characters.

My Girls:
    "If you were trapped in your house for, say, a year, how would you pass the time?"

Nephikah the Houseless, dunmer assassin: "I suppose I could use the break. I have a lot of business holdings now that need management."
    Swum-Many-Waters, elderly argonian healer: "I think that I would enjoy writing a memoir."
    Silh'ki, khajiit warrior-chef: "Would this one be able to go outside, to the nearby river? It's hard to fish without water!"
    Peregrine Huntress, bosmer hunter: "Who is forcing me to stay inside, and where can I find them?"
    Lorenyawe, altmer mechanist: "And why would I want to go outside in the first place? Too much to be done in the workshop."
    Lorelai Magpie, breton master thief: "I'd go nuts. Lucky for me, I have a little experience sneaking out!"
    Rasheda the Burning Heart, redguard knight: "I would continue my training to keep my skills sharp."
    Hex-Eye Azabi, khajiit daedric priestess: "I suppose it would be lucky, then, that I built a shrine to Mephala in my backyard."
    Yngva Stormhammer, nord bandit (reformed...ish): "I hate being inside even when I'm not forced to be. GET. ME. OUT."
    Madam Argentia, vampire dunmer aristocrat: "I suppose it would be more of the same. I have a rather... contentious relationship with the sun."
    Mazie gra-Bolga, orc scout: "Uh... I'd have to house train my bear..."
    Felicia the Wanderer, imperial witch-for-hire: "What Lorelai said."
    Calico Jaka-dra, retired khajiit pirate: "This one would like a rest from her grand adventures. Her jewel shop runs out of stock!"
    Shimmerbeam, blind altmer psijic: "Provided that I am confined to Artaeum, I do not think I will want for things to occupy my time."
    Shauna Blackfire, redguard necromancer: "Sounds like paradise. I hate people."
    Kirniel the Undying, cursed bosmer warrior: "I would feel useless, not being able to fight."
    Echoes-from-Dragons, argonian who thinks she's a dragon: "All the better to count my hoard!"

(Signature idea shamelessly stolen from Abeille.)
    Options
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Some quests need to be completed at specific areas. If you leave the area for some reason without doing the next quest step, you will see the "Quest Failed" message. Fear not, as soon as you back to the area, the quest will continue as before as long as you did not abandon the quest.

Okay, I understood that part, but my real doubt is when I complete a quest without taking the optional step, you know? If it is saved in some sort of registration in my character, indicating if I completed the mission along with the optional steps or not ...

If you mean, is this recorded in a quest log? You can see your quest progress in your Journal, under the quest tab. This only works for active quests. You can only see info on completed quests if you are using a PC addon, and even those only work on quests done after addon is installed. The lack of a more comprehensive quest log is a major UI shortcoming IMO, especially in a game which focused on questing.
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    TANSTAAFL--->There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....Robert Heinlein
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)
    Options
  • DragonDragonoide
    DragonDragonoide
    Soul Shriven
    It's so good to see you have such a good community in this game, you guys are committed to helping, thank you all!
    It doesn't really make a difference in the long run. In some quests, it's impossible to do all optional steps, because doing one step blocks you from doing a different one.

For that particular quest, the only thing you miss by progressing the quest without talking to your sanctuary-mates is learning more about them. A lot of the DB storyline involves those characters, their personalities, and their relationships with one another, so it's a good idea to get to know them before you move on. Otherwise, you may not always understand what's happening during the quests.

But if you're just looking for achievements? You're fine. All that's tracked is whether the quest itself is completed.

Dude, this business of perfectionism makes me stop making progress over time, while I'm not well with my choices I just can not move any further, there's something in my head saying all the time "Dude, why did you do it? Paid attention ". Well, it was my carelessness, I was in a hurry to do this quest and I did not see that I had these optional steps, so I kept thinking, "Will it stay somewhere unless I did not do these optional parts? That I will not gain any achievment because I did not take that optional step? "

If you mean, is this recorded in a quest log? You can see your quest progress in your Journal, under the quest tab. This only works for active quests. You can only see info on completed quests if you are using a PC addon, and even those only work on quests done after addon is installed. The lack of a more comprehensive quest log is a major UI shortcoming IMO, especially in a game which focused on questing.

Exactly, I was trying to talk about a "quest log" myself, which I could access after I finished the quests, something that says how I did the quests or something, I was trying to say that, but I was missing words. Hahaha
    Options
  • DragonDragonoide
    DragonDragonoide
    Soul Shriven
    Well, I wanted to post an update to help anyone who has the same doubt as me, at that time I sent a ticket to the game support, and they answered me with this: "At the present moment, there is no way to view your completed quests . "
    So, I do not think there's a "quest log" that saves the information on how you did the quest, other than saving options for the choices you made, but nothing more, correct?
    Options