The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Levelling Alchemmy - Which reagents to keep

Iziquiel
Iziquiel
✭✭
Hi, I have collected quite a few plants and water to begin leveling alchemy, but before I start crafting everything I can I wanted to ask whether there are any plants I should keep in case they are of more use to me late in the game. Can anyone let me know of any I should keep hold of please?
  • Sigtric
    Sigtric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's going to be slightly different for different people, depending on what potions/poisons they end up crafting for themselves... but in general...

Columbine, Bugloss, Mountain Flower and Blessed Thistle are my most commonly used and sought-after ingredients, so I don't grind up alchemy on a new toon with these. Most people will likely have the same list as they go into very commonly use potions.

To add: I generally level it making poisons as I have an abundance if poison materials and generally do not use poisons (except on one character)
    Edited by Sigtric on January 16, 2017 8:33PM

Stormproof: Vibeke - 50 EP mDragonknight | Savi Dreloth - 50 EP Magsorc | Sadi Dreloth - 50 EP Magblade | Sigtric Stormaxe - 50 EP Stamsorc | Valora Dreloth - 50 EP Magplar | Sigtric the Unbearable 50 EP Stam Warden
    Scrub: Chews-on-Beavers - 50 EP DK Tank | Vera the Wild - 50 EP magicka Warden | Sigtric the Axe - 50 EP Dragonknight Crafter | Sigtric the Blade - 50 EP Lost Nightblade | Sigtric the Savage - 50 EP magicka Templar | Vibeka Shadowblade - 50 Ep Stealthy Ganky Nightblade |

Show Me Your Dunmer
    [/center]
  • disintegr8
    disintegr8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Agree with Sigtrics list of ingredients not to be wasted while leveling and poisons ingredients are definitely more abundant, so it might be worth using them.

If you want to craft potions for your own use later, I would also add Water Hyacinth, Corn Flower, Dragonthorn and Lady's Smack to the retain list as well as all varieties of fungus (4 I think). These are used in weapon and spell power/crit potions, which are used a lot.

Nirnroot is something that you can use later but is also requested in Alchemy writs, so you can either keep them and use for writs or sell them to those who want them for writs.

I found this website when I first started, which has an alchemy chart you can save:
    https://esouniverse.com/guides/crafting/alchemy/
    Australian on PS4 NA server.
    Everyone's entitled to an opinion.
  • Iziquiel
    Iziquiel
    ✭✭
    Excellent thank you! Yes I would like to make my own potions for later in the game so I will focus on keeping the ingredients you have recommended and leveling up poisons instead especially as I am using poisons on my Stamina Sorcerers weapons so will find them useful
  • STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    keep butterfly wings - harder to get - some utility and good linkages between good effects..

to me the white cap, emetic and luminous rusalla are not used much except in a few writs. so i would burn most of those where possible. Luminous can be used as a side ingredient in invis potions but otherwise these three aren't that useful.

I also like poisons.

But a lot depends on your character suite.

One suggestion i have is for any alt you have have them start level -1 alchemy writs and run them every day. Dont ever have to put in skill points but the return is worth it in surveys and mats and gold for tier-1.

(that goes for most tier-1 writs in fact but alchemy is a good one.)

Proudly skooma free while talks-when-drunk is in mandatory public housing.
    YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

First Law of Nerf-o-Dynamics
    "The good way I used to get good kills *with good skill* was good but the way others kill me now is bad."

• davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go to elden root, wayrest or mournhold. Look at reagents in guild stores. If they're cheap, like $5000 for 200, those are good for grinding. If they cost $150,000 for 200...pass.

I grind up alchemy with spider eggs and the things that match them.
  • jackiemeeking
    jackiemeeking
    ✭✭
    Hi I had a similar query when I was starting my alchemy. I found that columbine, corn flower and stink horns are quite difficult to find. More expensive when you buy from guild stores.
    But anyway, try to find out what does each plant does, like eat them and you'll roughly know the plant is for what.
    Don't miss and ignore any plants you cross path with, if let's say your inventory is damn full, well it tells you to stop farming and go to alchemy table. Try them all. Have fun :wink:
  • jackiemeeking
    jackiemeeking
    ✭✭
    STEVIL wrote: »
    keep butterfly wings - harder to get - some utility and good linkages between good effects..

to me the white cap, emetic and luminous rusalla are not used much except in a few writs. so i would burn most of those where possible. Luminous can be used as a side ingredient in invis potions but otherwise these three aren't that useful.

I also like poisons.

But a lot depends on your character suite.

One suggestion i have is for any alt you have have them start level -1 alchemy writs and run them every day. Dont ever have to put in skill points but the return is worth it in surveys and mats and gold for tier-1.

(that goes for most tier-1 writs in fact but alchemy is a good one.)

Yes quite hard to keep but we can farm butterfly wings in Wrothgar and they spawn quickly too. Oh by the way im speaking from xbox one experience, im not sure if it matters :smiley:
  • Reivax
    Reivax
    ✭✭✭✭
    Once I put a single point in Alchemy keen eye, I learned that columbine and mountain flower are no rarer than any other, just harder to see and easier to run past. They're more valuable, for sure, but looking at my craft bag stockpiles, of the original ingredients, they're all just about same frequency.
    Edited by Reivax on January 21, 2017 3:54PM
  • STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Last night i leveled to 50 an alt alchy, so i did the script thru 27 unlocking all ingredients . Then, for the 27 to 50 i took two that i had the most in which was like thorax and rusalla.
    Proudly skooma free while talks-when-drunk is in mandatory public housing.
    YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

First Law of Nerf-o-Dynamics
    "The good way I used to get good kills *with good skill* was good but the way others kill me now is bad."