The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

ESO Server Issues Jan. 13-15

ZOS_JessicaFolsom
ZOS_JessicaFolsom
Community Manager
Hi everyone,

Between Friday and Sunday, the North American ESO megaservers suffered intermittent DDOS attacks. While brief, the attacks caused disruptions in connectivity and ability to log into ESO on the affected servers at different points over the weekend. We also discovered an unrelated technical issue with the Xbox One North American server on Sunday (Jan. 15) that resulted in login errors and inability to connect to the game.

We worked through the weekend to mitigate the DDOS attacks and resolved the Xbox One technical issues – thank you all for your patience.
Jessica Folsom
Lead Community Manager - ZeniMax Online Studios
Facebook | Twitter | Twitch | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube | Support
Staff Post
  • Trinity_Is_My_Name
    Trinity_Is_My_Name
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you!
  • Doctordarkspawn
    Doctordarkspawn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, at least it wasnt' technical issues this time.
  • DigitalShibby
    DigitalShibby
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol @ all those sh!t talkers.
  • will_rob87
    will_rob87
    ✭✭✭
    Why was the PS4 EU servers running poorly if it was only the NA servers that were attacked?
  • o0Velius
    o0Velius
    ✭✭✭
    Why are you just now posting this; instead of letting us know during the weekend while it was happing? I lost a vSO HM instance and no news on forums on why my team of 12 lagged out, all at one time.. thank you for resolving this issue as I was fearing it was going to stay this way tell after the update.
    Main Tank For
    Difficulty Increased
    [/b]

PC : @o0Velius

Xbox One. GT: oo Velius
    [/center]
  • brandonv516
    brandonv516
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I'm guessing it wasn't posted while in progress because you didn't want the culprits to know you were on to them?
  • Ra'Shtar
    Ra'Shtar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought so, i hate people who waste their time doing cyber attacks when they could be doing something more productive.
    Some of my favorite screenshots
    My opinions and posts are mostly on a PvE setting.
  • GreenSoup2HoT
    GreenSoup2HoT
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Lizard Squad at it again! ;)
    PS4 NA DC
  • Messy1
    Messy1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for working hard to fix the issue. Also, it's really sad someone would do that :(
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MrsVelius wrote: »
    Why are you just now posting this; instead of letting us know during the weekend while it was happing?
    Probably because it was the techies that were working over the weekend, and not the community team.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info/update, Jessica! :)
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • Saucy_Jack
    Saucy_Jack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just don't understand what the point of a DDOS attack is. "We overwhelmed some servers. Yay us!"

From what I can tell, a DDOS doesn't DO anything for the hacker except...give them the satisfaction of being a complete douchebaggler, I guess? But surely there's easier/faster ways to be a douchebaggler in life than a DDOS attack, no?
    ALL HAIL SNUGGLORR THE MAGNIFICENT, KING OF THE RNG AND NIRN'S ONE TRUE GOD! Also, become a Scrub-scriber! SJ Scrubs: Playing games badly to make you feel better about yourself.
  • skiptomyluau
    skiptomyluau
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you for the communication. Was this related to the Dyn attack?
  • Sigma957
    Sigma957
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This will explain the lag spikes and timed out disconnects, ty for explaining @ZOS_JessicaFolsom .
  • prelude386ub17_ESO
    prelude386ub17_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    Lol @ all those sh!t talkers.

it only took them four days to tell us what they know right off the bat.
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any security breach that might effect customers ?
  • xRIVALENx
    xRIVALENx
    ✭✭✭
    Glad to hear that it is all fixed, will unblock Zenimax addresses and see what sort of traffic I get this evening.

• MasterSpatula
    MasterSpatula
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great, so all my Cyrodiil deaths this weekend were the fault of script kiddies and not me.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
    "A probable impossibility is preferable to an improbable possibility." - Aristotle
  • Publius_Scipio
    Publius_Scipio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I hope that in this day and age Zenimax/ZOS is using the best of what's available to protect and ensure their customers' privacy and data.
  • Bandit1215
    Bandit1215
    ✭✭✭
    MrsVelius wrote: »
    Why are you just now posting this; instead of letting us know during the weekend while it was happing? I lost a vSO HM instance and no news on forums on why my team of 12 lagged out, all at one time.. thank you for resolving this issue as I was fearing it was going to stay this way tell after the update.

Well if you knew the game was lagging so much, maybe it wasn't a smart idea to get into a vSO HM run. I agree that the statement should a came out earlier but if you had been in game for 30 minutes you would have known the game was having issues. Sounds to me like it was poor planning on your part.
    CP 561
    • vSO HM - Completed
    • vAA - Completed
    • vHRC - Completed

• Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope that in this day and age Zenimax/ZOS is using the best of what's available to protect and ensure their customers' privacy and data.

Everyone hopes that but many times the denial of service attacks are followed by a theft of credit card information . I change my passwords after each time it happens just in case account info gets stolen .

DDOS attacks are nerd rage attacks against decent people playing a video game . They nerd rage against Ps4 all the time and it's annoying . They think stealing is justified because they got bad customer service or some mumbo jumbo about "the man" and "corporate greed" . Later when one gets arrested and rats out all his buddies , we get to see the tears and stories of not knowing it was a crime as they panick over being locked up with real criminals and their needs for companionship .

Hers the latest 19 year old goofballs to get some time in the pokey for trying to DDoS Pokemon Go .

https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2016/10/13/lizard-squad-poodlecorp-members-arrested-in-ddos-for-hire-bust/
    Edited by Rohamad_Ali on January 16, 2017 6:53PM
  • will_rob87
    will_rob87
    ✭✭✭
    Saucy_Jack wrote: »
    I just don't understand what the point of a DDOS attack is. "We overwhelmed some servers. Yay us!"

From what I can tell, a DDOS doesn't DO anything for the hacker except...give them the satisfaction of being a complete douchebaggler, I guess? But surely there's easier/faster ways to be a douchebaggler in life than a DDOS attack, no?

In fairness, you dont even need a ddos attack to overwhelm the ESO servers, all you need is 10 people at the same wayshrine
  • Publius_Scipio
    Publius_Scipio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Everyone hopes that but many times the denial of service attacks are followed by a theft of credit card information . I change my passwords after each time it happens just in case account info gets stolen .

DDOS attacks are nerd rage attacks against decent people playing a video game . They nerd rage against Ps4 all the time and it's annoying . They think stealing is justified because they got bad customer service or some mumbo jumbo about "the man" and "corporate greed" . Later when one gets arrested and rats out all his buddies , we get to see the tears and stories of not knowing it was a crime as they panick over being locked up with real criminals and their needs for companionship .

Hers the latest 19 year old goofballs to get some time in the pokey for trying to DDoS Pokemon Go .

https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2016/10/13/lizard-squad-poodlecorp-members-arrested-in-ddos-for-hire-bust/

Yes, in the world we live in it is best practice to change passwords rather frequently actually. MMO's actually have quite a bit of personal info of its players (we're talking thousands and millions of people) stored. Maybe people think that because it's a video game the security and defenses won't be that tough. I hope that's not the case.

Maybe ESO will be served well by ZOS implementing two-factor authentication. You type in your password and a randomly generated one-time login code is sent to you through either email or a text message based on your chosen preference.

Edit: For both account and game login.
    Edited by Publius_Scipio on January 16, 2017 7:10PM
  • umagon
    umagon
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I would suggest to people to always have multiple banking accounts one for each different use to mitigate any loss from stolen card information. And to use debit cards. One of my accounts is only used for online transactions and the card is only loaded with money when I about to purchase something. And I have another I only use for in person swipe and smart chip transactions. Along with several other accounts for different uses.
  • nine9six
    nine9six
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    will_rob87 wrote: »

In fairness, you dont even need a ddos attack to overwhelm the ESO servers, all you need is 10 people at the same wayshrine

lol
    Wake up, we're here. Why are you shaking? Are you ok? Wake up...
  • LrdRahvin
    LrdRahvin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    will_rob87 wrote: »

^ True story.
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    umagon wrote: »

I would suggest to people to always have multiple banking accounts one for each different use to mitigate any loss from stolen card information. And to use debit cards. One of my accounts is only used for online transactions and the card is only loaded with money when I about to purchase something. And I have another I only use for in person swipe and smart chip transactions. Along with several other accounts for different uses.

My girlfriend and I pay for a service to monitor and repair everything for Us . My father insisted after opening the new business last year . Your idea is good too though and probably cheaper .
  • LegacyDM
    LegacyDM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So the Ddos is over then? Mysteriously stopped after the maintenance? Not saying it wasn't a Ddos but it is odd that these problems seem to occur on weeks where you skip maintenance. Regardless, Are you guys going to take steps to enhance your availability? Can't imagine Ddos is good for business...
    Legacy of Kain
    Vicious Carnage
    ¥ampire Lord of the South
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Soul Shriven
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Edited by [Deleted User] on January 16, 2017 7:46PM
  • Publius_Scipio
    Publius_Scipio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    This 'DDOS' seems to happen with a worrying frequency compared with other games. Suggests bigger problems with the network set up/security. I'm sure other games get attacked as often (if not more so), but they seem to defend themselves much better

Disgruntled PvPers no longer with us in Tamriel seeking revenge.