Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

New Laptop - how to copy/paste game files from old laptop so i don't have to download game

Hopca
Hopca
Soul Shriven
Hello all,

as the title says, is it possible to copy/paste game files from old laptop to new one so I don't have to download whole game again?
If it is, can you please write it down step by step what I need to watch over to copy paste and where, as I'm not skilled in computers.

Thanks in advance!!
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This was possible two years ago when we tried it...not sure if anything has changed, but it should still work. There are several files to copy and put in the exact same locations.

There's a game client folder in program files, usually called zenimax online. Move and create an exact replica.

There's sometimes an Elder Scrolls folder in my documents...same deal, exact copy. Although this is character data...they'll rebuild themselves if you don't move them.

There's a launcher in zenimax online...launcher...Bethesda.net. Once files are copied, this should launch the app and run the same as the other system. You might get a one-time pop up about using a new IP.

Things I remember being problematic: lots of posts about Steam issues (shocker), so the process might be more complex if you're using Steam. I also remember posts warning not to try to move servers via this process.
  • FlaviusVoyage
    FlaviusVoyage
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hopca wrote: »
    Hello all,

as the title says, is it possible to copy/paste game files from old laptop to new one so I don't have to download whole game again?
    If it is, can you please write it down step by step what I need to watch over to copy paste and where, as I'm not skilled in computers.

Thanks in advance!!

What I did was to copy "Zenimax" files from the program files to a thumb drive (128 GB storage) and paste in the same location on my new computer. Took 20 minutes and... voila! It was there.

Also, I had to download the Directx 11 program from the Windows page.

I hope it helps. Good luck.
    Edited by FlaviusVoyage on January 12, 2017 9:24PM
  • Hopca
    Hopca
    Soul Shriven
    Hey guys, tnx for reply... I did what u suggested, simple as it is... but the game only Works in 32 bit version and not 64... if i click 64 bit version error: "The application was unable to start correctly (0x000007b). Click OK to close the application.
  • Hopca
    Hopca
    Soul Shriven
    This seems to be the fix... everything fine now.

"Ok, if you're running into the 0xc000007b error, please download this update from Microsoft (the new Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package), then manually launch ESO64.exe."

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=14632
  • FlaviusVoyage
    FlaviusVoyage
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hopca wrote: »
    This seems to be the fix... everything fine now.

"Ok, if you're running into the 0xc000007b error, please download this update from Microsoft (the new Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package), then manually launch ESO64.exe."

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=14632

I am glad it worked out! =)