The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Returning player - crafting alt & advice needed

jkmllr
jkmllr
Hi all
I've just bought the gold edition, previously I managed to get a character to veteran level 1 but I've not played the game for about a year. I invested a lot into crafting on this character, but I want to start from scratch.

I'm planning on using the vet character purely for crafting (smithing, woodwork, tailor etc) to create gear for my new character. Would I encounter any problems with crafting gear in the future if my new character surpasses the level of my crafter character? Hope that makes sense! I realise with one tamriel I should be able to get to shrines okay for gear sets.

Is this a viable plan? Should I be doing alchemy, provisioning and enchanting on my new character? Also I hear with housing on the horizon, can I craft items on my vet for my new characters house?

Thanks for your help.
Edited by jkmllr on January 9, 2017 8:12PM
  • Techkey1
    Techkey1
    ✭✭
    Well, with the way 1T is all of the crafting is scalable, meaning what ever level you are those will be the crafting materials you see (that levels materials). So if you are in a guild, members can help you with that and if you are solo then mastering your crafting is best. You can't really craft lower level gear do to the fact that all you will see is the materials for the level you are. Ex: If your level 30 character wants to craft for a level 10 then you need level 10 mats but because you are level 30 you will not see level 10 mats when you farm, only level 30. You would need to purchase level 10 mats then make the gear to give to your level 10. However because the levels are scalable, you should be fine if you put points in to mastering crafting for each character or just purchase the mats. (I really don't like the scaled mat set-up, but oh well, I still love the game)

There are a number of ways to do this. Since you are planning on using the vet character for crafting then use the funds from the character you plan on having/making the most money with an purchase the mats and have what ever you need made from you crafter.

One other thing is that there are a lot of drops in zone now that are really good so you won't really need much crafted. Because if yo plan on doing dungeon and such then you will get pretty good gear and from there you can have you crafter just upgrade that gear for you.

To answer your question yes it make good sense.

(should do)-So just master crafting with you vet character, (choices)- 1- get drop sets from zones, dungeons, dailies, etc with your new character and have your vet upgrade them, 2-purchase mats for your vet to craft for you new character, 3-get help from friends/guildies to help with addition crafting and mats.

Don't forget to decon the crap to make better stuff (a great way to get more mats).

I hope this information helps you out.

I'm on PC, I don't mind helping in game if you want. (@techkey1 to look me up in game)
    CP 477 | Dark Elf | Dragon Knight DPS | Ebonheart Pact | Solo Player | No alts

More of a solo player. Learning to be more guild social lol. LOVING THE MORROWIND EXPANSION!!!

ESO PC NA

Love is what I know.
    Life is what I live.
    Death I will never see.
    Immortality awaits me.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jkmllr wrote: »
    Would I encounter any problems with crafting gear in the future if my new character surpasses the level of my crafter character? Hope that makes sense! I realise with one tamriel I should be able to get to shrines okay for gear sets.

Is this a viable plan? Should I be doing alchemy, provisioning and enchanting on my new character? Also I hear with housing on the horizon, can I craft items on my vet for my new characters house?

Thanks for your help.

As long as you have the material passives unlocked for the level of gear you want to make, your crafter is good to go. I know one person who has an L40 Master Crafter and I have mules who are maxed out in crafting, but not skill points allocated at L6.

Just so you know, it takes 122 Skill Points to fully skill out all Crafting Lines. Keen Eye can take a few more. Add in about 30 to 50 points to "deadly enough" to get to some of the more dangerous crafting stations, material nodes and survey locations. You probably don't need more than 30 points to be deadly enough, but a little overkill is always good. And, since Provisioning and Alchemy are so easy to level, you can do that on any character in about 20 minutes, there are a bunch of skill points you don't need to spend on your Equipment Crafter.

In other words, you may want to go farm some skyshards before you fully retire your Vet character to make them a crafter and with One Tamriel, that is pretty easy right now.

Edited by Nestor on January 10, 2017 10:50PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You should be good to keep crafting on your old vet. No one wants to do research over, or find all the motifs and recipes again. And the way vet works now, your new characters won't surpass him. All of your characters will share the same pool of champion points, so as you play all your toons get CPs to spend.

I personally eventually moved alchemy and enchanting to a secondary crafter. It freed up like 40 skill points on my main, and there's no laborious catch up mechanism other than grinding up those skills lines.

And as a general rule, I work all six trade skills to 50 on all of my characters, mostly by having one serve as a deconstructor until their skills are up. This allows them all to do high level writs, and makes them more flexible if I need to move my crafting around. Although I've only ever used one guy to make armor because of the research and motifs.

There's an awesome iPad / android app called ESO workbench to help organize your research, btw. I totally relied on it.
  • PhxOldGamer68
    PhxOldGamer68
    ✭✭✭✭
    My first character is my master crafter in all skills. The next 7 do not craft anything therefore I don't have to skyshard hunt because the skill points are allocated to the non-crafting skill lines.

First toon crafts everything and I put the stash in the bank for the others to grab.
    PSN NA/EU: DesertDweller99
    PC NA: KaktusKing