Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Newbie - trouble with groups of 3 in PvE leveling

mashugana
mashugana
I think I suck at combat :)

I just got my second character past level 30 and I have real trouble with groups of three in normal questing. Any tips?

It seems like I have to work myself silly to stay alive and kill three bad guys. Maybe this is design - the fights should be hard. But when I fight three bad guys I am dodging, self healing, going to the brink of death, and crying constantly. I've tried a Mag Templar and Mag Sorc. I've tried AoEs and single target.

I have no idea what I am doing.

I know this is kinda sad since I've read that any class can level easily.

Thanks for any advice on tactics, gear, core skills, etc.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is how you handle 3 Mobs:

1. Wait for one of them to patrol away, they almost always have one wander around and it will go out of aggro range of the other two. Take the single one down then work on the other two

Or

2. Use Crowd Control to freeze one or two of the mobs, then take down the free ones. Be careful as most CC Skills go away if the NPC takes some or any damage, so ware your AoE while doing this. Kit the free mobs away if you have to, or use Method 1 before you CC. Every class has an CC skill or two, slot them and learn how to fold them into your tactics.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Sigtric
    Sigtric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've power leveled several toons in the last few months and I've noticed something with the scaling curve.

I can take a level 1 set of armor and run it all the way to level 30. At level 30 I need to change it or I start dying.

I am guessing this is an armor issue, and being a new player since you don't have CP to fall back on, the armor is going to mean even more for you than it does for me.

Is all your armor level 25-30? Is it lower? Is it mixmatched sets or is it a complete set (with set bonuses) or even two of them?
    What weight is your armor (light, medium, or heavy?)

Is your armor broken? (do you need to go to a merchant and have it repaired?)

Are your weapons as high level as you can equip?

Stormproof: Vibeke - 50 EP mDragonknight | Savi Dreloth - 50 EP Magsorc | Sadi Dreloth - 50 EP Magblade | Sigtric Stormaxe - 50 EP Stamsorc | Valora Dreloth - 50 EP Magplar | Sigtric the Unbearable 50 EP Stam Warden
    Scrub: Chews-on-Beavers - 50 EP DK Tank | Vera the Wild - 50 EP magicka Warden | Sigtric the Axe - 50 EP Dragonknight Crafter | Sigtric the Blade - 50 EP Lost Nightblade | Sigtric the Savage - 50 EP magicka Templar | Vibeka Shadowblade - 50 Ep Stealthy Ganky Nightblade |

Show Me Your Dunmer
    [/center]
  • Sigtric
    Sigtric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I forgot the combat portion of my post lol:

In groups, if you don't have anything that can stun or otherwise lock up an enemy, you'll want to aoe and then do single target to quickly take out whichever has less health

On your templar, open combat from a distance with a couple dark flares to injure one of them. Spam sweeps to aoe them and heal yourself at the same time.

On your magplar, while leveling, utilize your pet options. The clanfear is pretty darn tanky, he can occupy one while you throw down some wall of elements with destro staff, put out lightning on the ground and then single target whichever will die first, move to the next

Stormproof: Vibeke - 50 EP mDragonknight | Savi Dreloth - 50 EP Magsorc | Sadi Dreloth - 50 EP Magblade | Sigtric Stormaxe - 50 EP Stamsorc | Valora Dreloth - 50 EP Magplar | Sigtric the Unbearable 50 EP Stam Warden
    Scrub: Chews-on-Beavers - 50 EP DK Tank | Vera the Wild - 50 EP magicka Warden | Sigtric the Axe - 50 EP Dragonknight Crafter | Sigtric the Blade - 50 EP Lost Nightblade | Sigtric the Savage - 50 EP magicka Templar | Vibeka Shadowblade - 50 Ep Stealthy Ganky Nightblade |

Show Me Your Dunmer
    [/center]
  • CubanRay
    CubanRay
    ✭✭
    I'm new myself too but I have no problems with my magplar,mobs die to fast .
    5 light 2 heavy (chest and legs) for extra protection.
    Use food to increase heath/magic (bought in guild stores)
    Everything into magicka and food for health
    Destro staff,elem blockade
    Sweep main spammable ,entrophy ,cleansing ritual (harness if needed), vampires bane,radiant destruction
    Some of the skills
    My magplar 40 is about 18k health and 34k magic with the food .
  • mashugana
    mashugana
    Great advice - thank you all. There are lots of things I can do now:

- check my armor to see if it is way under-leveled
    - use CC instead of trying to fight all three simultaneously
    - try some Heavy Armor instead of all Light Armor
    - use food (i have not used food at all)

Thanks again
  • Sigtric
    Sigtric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mashugana wrote: »
    Great advice - thank you all. There are lots of things I can do now:

- check my armor to see if it is way under-leveled
    - use CC instead of trying to fight all three simultaneously
    - try some Heavy Armor instead of all Light Armor
    - use food (i have not used food at all)

Thanks again

what platform and server are you on?

Show Me Your Dunmer
    [/center]
  • mashugana
    mashugana
    PC North America
  • Sigtric
    Sigtric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @mashugana shoot me a message/friend req in game @sigtric I'll see if I have anything that can help ya out

Not in-game until evenings NA times on the weekdays

Show Me Your Dunmer
    [/center]
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will be in the game in about 3 hours (5 to 6PM Mountain Time) and can show you some things.

And, yes, even your Casters should sport 2 Heavy (chest and legs ideally) and 5 Light for armor.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"