Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

My game keeps crashing

Oywn-Lyons
I know I posted this already in the PC tech. section but it doesn't seem no one is paying much attention to it. Tech support isn't responding back on my problem, and sure as hell non on of the users on here seem to be having the same problem like what I'm having. This has been happening since October of last year. All I'm asking is someone could help me locate why my game keeps crashing after installing from the launcher? I've uninstalled and reinstalled both Visual C++ for ESO, there isn't any usersettings.txt in the live section of Elder Scrolls Online in My Documents. I'm at my wits in here. Thinking about asking for another refund... again! for this broken product.

Also my Computer Specs:
Windows 10
RX 480
FX 8350
16GB RAM
1TB HDD
"You dare spill blood on this sacred ground!?"
  • EleonoraCrendraven
    EleonoraCrendraven
    ✭✭✭
    Try contacting the mod @ZOS_PeterT . I think he/she's the one you can speak to if you have trouble with the software.
  • Oywn-Lyons
    Try contacting the mod @ZOS_PeterT . I think he/she's the one you can speak to if you have trouble with the software.

Appreciate it.
  • Stormshaper
    Stormshaper
    ✭✭✭
    The game runs for a time then crashes or crashes on load before you are in-game or to the character screen? The reason I ask is the part about no usersettings.txt. That really should be there and gets re-created immediately after the next first run.

What about the file *ShaderCache.cooked*? If there, and you delete it, does it come back on game load (assuming game gets that far)? If it doesn't then I think somehow the location for the *live* directory may have gotten changed and maybe you're not troubleshooting in the correct folder to begin with. I did this accidentally when I was trying to add a 2nd file location for music/pics/etc to the 'Quick Access' shortcut in the file explorer but actually moved the entire *Documents* folder instead. On my instance it actually copied not moved, and I had two documents\elder scrolls online\live directories going. Not realizing it, I found the old location wasn't updating at all which was just baffling me.

I probably can't help past that, but I just wanted to make sure you're in the right place to start with, which you probably are, so this is just a FWIW. I can try help further if you want, but GL otherwise!
  • Oywn-Lyons
    The game runs for a time then crashes or crashes on load before you are in-game or to the character screen? The reason I ask is the part about no usersettings.txt. That really should be there and gets re-created immediately after the next first run.

What about the file *ShaderCache.cooked*? If there, and you delete it, does it come back on game load (assuming game gets that far)? If it doesn't then I think somehow the location for the *live* directory may have gotten changed and maybe you're not troubleshooting in the correct folder to begin with. I did this accidentally when I was trying to add a 2nd file location for music/pics/etc to the 'Quick Access' shortcut in the file explorer but actually moved the entire *Documents* folder instead. On my instance it actually copied not moved, and I had two documents\elder scrolls online\live directories going. Not realizing it, I found the old location wasn't updating at all which was just baffling me.

I probably can't help past that, but I just wanted to make sure you're in the right place to start with, which you probably are, so this is just a FWIW. I can try help further if you want, but GL otherwise!

It crashes right after I hit the play button (From the Installer), and goes to a black screen. That's when the submit crash report box shows up. As for the file location for both ShaderCache.cooked and usersettings.txt neither of these is found under the Live folder in My Documents.
  • Oywn-Lyons
    Just as a I thought support got back with me several times on this issue. Again they are useless, everything they have told me has nothing to do with the game crashing after installing from installer (Connectivity issue, pausing while installing, interrupted while installing) none of those have nothing to do with me problem. This has been an on going problem since October of last year. I've already listed this as a broken product on Steam's forums and had my second refund (Other from g2a). Used my first refund to buy the game again thinking that it would be fixed possibly because of installer. From what I've seen now this doesn't seem to be the case. I think (and I believe) its an issue with how the game opens up from the installer depending on certain hardware specs. If this was the case, then there should be dozens if not hundreds of people flooding the forums and support tickets trying to figure out the same thing.

But in this instance my case is very rare, like it shouldn't be possible in the first place. I'm running Windows 10, using a FX 8350 CPU, and along with a RX 480 graphics card. All of these are above the recommended specs to run the game. So, the only one at fault here are the devs that created the game. So, taking this into account I can say for sure this is a recurring bug that hasn't been squashed since 2014 when the game launched in beta. I'm just about done with most Bethesda based products when it comes to my request for help. I word 6 days a week, so I don't have all the time in the world to constantly check the forums and my email. If anyone has anything they can add to my ongoing list of problems with this unforsaken product please say so now.
  • Lukums1
    Lukums1
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm an IT manager and a software developer in my spare time.

The first things I notice is the CPU I've had nothing but heart ache with AMD. But that's me.

The RX480 is a solid card overall so no issues there.

I'm going to assume you've had no issues with other games.

This may be jumping you through hoops but, what I would honestly do is install the game to a portable hard drive IF you have one. Uninstalling games and leaving remnants of deviate files all over the place is generally a recipe for disaster in this instances as it gets hard to trouble shoot.

You mentioned you removed both visuals C++ but did you also reinstall direct X with the latest version.

Generally you'd have it with that kind of graphics card, but it's worth mentioning.

Depending how keen you are to fix the issue I'm happy to lead my services to you and work on the issue together.
    Just let me know what you're prepared to do.

Let me know if you can achieve any of the above and we will go from there.

Luke
    PS4 Yellow Scum Dominion
    1600+ vMA runs and counting
    Magicka Sorc - Flawless - 544k Score
    Stam Sorc - Flawless - 559k Score
    Stam DK - FLAWLESS 512k Score
    Stam NB - 492k Score - Work in progress
    Magicka Temp - 482k Score

The Ozmeric Dominion (Oceanic) Australian Based Guild

vMA "guru" - VHRC - vSO - vSOHM - vDSA - vAA - vMOL
    The Maelstrom BIBLE for beginners/Flawless Achieve Below
    https://www.twitch.tv/lukumms/v/111730700
    https://www.twitch.tv/videos/181142505

You have vMA questions? Want a guide? Helping hand? PM me!

Returns after 6 months back to back flawless
    https://go.twitch.tv/videos/180384648

• IzanagiTensei-O
    IzanagiTensei-O
    ✭✭✭
    mine too! :D its almost, as though...zos doesnt want me to play thier game... i mean, if anybody ever kicked me out of our home, club, yada, 10 times a day, eventually, i would start to suspect they were trying to say something... disclaimer or not, might be "legal", might even be normal for a mmo, idk, but it still sucks. i went to orsimer last night, after staying away for what? 6 mo? froze like 5 times in less than an hour. smh. (bends over)thank you zos, may i have another!? love- everytime i have to load game up again, seeing - zenimax media, zenimax online, bethesda ;) i'd hate to forget to associate those names with this type of experience. other than this and a long list of other things, the game is pretty awesome btw...reminds me of a couple different crazy as f girls ive dated, GREAT sex, good laughs sometimes...when wasnt throwing things at ya, or stuff out in front yard, yada, daily, for the hell of it.
  • ZOS_JohanaB
    ZOS_JohanaB
    ✭✭✭✭
    We've moved this thread to PC Technical Support
    Staff Post
  • Oywn-Lyons
    Lukums1 wrote: »
    I'm an IT manager and a software developer in my spare time.

The first things I notice is the CPU I've had nothing but heart ache with AMD. But that's me.

The RX480 is a solid card overall so no issues there.

I'm going to assume you've had no issues with other games.

This may be jumping you through hoops but, what I would honestly do is install the game to a portable hard drive IF you have one. Uninstalling games and leaving remnants of deviate files all over the place is generally a recipe for disaster in this instances as it gets hard to trouble shoot.

You mentioned you removed both visuals C++ but did you also reinstall direct X with the latest version.

Generally you'd have it with that kind of graphics card, but it's worth mentioning.

Depending how keen you are to fix the issue I'm happy to lead my services to you and work on the issue together.
    Just let me know what you're prepared to do.

Let me know if you can achieve any of the above and we will go from there.

Luke

If this can help you out any further. I have the latest Direct X, so I don't think there would be a need to reinstall it. I don't have a portable HDD. Sure my CPU can act a little funny with some games, but if its able to run Witcher 3 at max settings without so much as a Hiccup then there is something wrong here o.O (Granted yes Deus Ex MD isn't exactly optimized for my PC since it has low FPS), but ESO shouldn't have that high of a PC req.

My Crash report:

====================================================================
    eso has stopped working.
    ====================================================================

[reporter]
    version = 0.01

[extra]
    ProductName = eso
    Version = eso.live.2.6.11.1391077
    branch = live
    client.executablebits = 64
    client.mode = startup
    client.session_start_timestamp = 2017-01-10T22:57:10.515Z
    client.timestamp = 2017-01-10T22:57:10.632Z -frme 0-
    cpu.arch = 9
    cpu.count = 8
    cpu.level = 21
    cpu.type = 8664
    exe.buildnum = 1391077
    exe.opt = release
    exe.reltype = public
    exe.type = client
    mem.system_physical = 16365
    os.osbits = 64
    os.platform = windows
    os.version = 10.0.9200.
    ptime = 406
    reportfield.ver = 3
    version.major = 2
    version.patch = 6
    version.subpatch = 11

Report.txt from Game Consultant and My Error Strings file:
    Edited by Oywn-Lyons on January 10, 2017 11:20PM
  • xRIVALENx
    xRIVALENx
    ✭✭✭
    Were you able to fix the problem? Looking at your Report.txt you are running DX12, have you tried uninstalling that and installing DX11 instead? It shouldn't make much of a difference but given the black screen it does sound like a graphics issue.
  • Oywn-Lyons
    xRIVALENx wrote: »
    Were you able to fix the problem? Looking at your Report.txt you are running DX12, have you tried uninstalling that and installing DX11 instead? It shouldn't make much of a difference but given the black screen it does sound like a graphics issue.

I haven't yet. I'm still talking with ZOS_PeterT about the issue. I will however change back over to DirectX 11.
  • Oywn-Lyons
    Ok. So, how do I roll back to Directx 11? I just can't seem to find that option anywhere. Not even under update history. WOOT WOOT!! I got it to WORK!. All I did was used factory default under Radeon Settings, then created a profile for it, started to mess around with the settings, then poof! Its working working.
    Edited by Oywn-Lyons on January 14, 2017 5:26PM
  • Oywn-Lyons
    Nevermind. After restarting computer to enable my bluetooth headphones it started crashing again. Please mods count this as problem solved, and close the thread. Seems no one can really figure out why mine wants to keep doing this. So, I'm tired of ESO (As a completely broken product all together and their completely useless Tech Support help). I'm through with it all.

*Update*
    So, I fully factory restart my computer. This time I'm getting a "eso64.exe-application error- The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b). Click OK to close the application. "
    Edited by Oywn-Lyons on January 14, 2017 11:16PM
  • Dajazzmani
    Dajazzmani
    Soul Shriven
    *Update*
    So, I fully factory restart my computer. This time I'm getting a "eso64.exe-application error- The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b). Click OK to close the application. "[/quote]

I had the same issue found a workaround patch that installed a load of missing dll's

http://www.mediafire.com/file/97erhoox4d3zabq/aio210.zip

This worked for me, at least got me past that error. As always exercise caution with stuff you download, but my PC appears fine.

Incidentally I am running the same set-up as you, FX8350, Radeon RX480 16GB 256SSD having nothing but issues getting the game to run! Everything else is fine and benchmarks are all ok!