The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

For PvP, ESO better than GW2?

italia366
italia366
What is up guys

So pvp in WoW legion has got the best of me and i am truly just burnt out of that game, and i am on the hunt for a new MMO to play where one of my main focues will obviously be pvp. and the first two that come to my mind are ESO and GW2. I've dabbled in both games before so i have a rough idea of what i am doing, but i am just not sure of which one to commit to.

Out of the two games, which one has the better PvP and why?

I know i am posting on the ESO forums so i am bound to get some bias, but if you have experience with both games, id appreciate the feedback

Thanks!
  • Paraflex
    Paraflex
    ✭✭✭✭
    Never played GW2 but PvP is still fun in this game but not easy by any means for a new player...good luck with proc sets it's worth coming to ESO
    Hollykills CP 630 Templar Healer - Ad PS4 Warlord Rank

Max Stam/Mag Dk
    Max Stam Sorc
    Max Stam/Mag NB

Don't care to dps much so I heal.

• zuto40
    zuto40
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    played GW2 , GW2 wasnt my style at all so i couldnt play it despite having a lot of friends playing it, id say eso is better
    Stamblade- Legate
    Tank/Heals Templar- Sergeant
    Magic DK- Corporal
    Stam DK- Sergeant
    Stamplar- Corporal

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCy8uqORxhlrMh8oz2230s9g
  • PurifedBladez
    PurifedBladez
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Proc sets are out of control.

If you want competitive pvp go somewhere else. I wouldn't recommend eso to anyone in its current state.

Cyrodill performance is completely terrible right now.. probably has to deal with all the bs proccing all over the place.

Massive zergs form and turn the game into a slideshow.

Invisible abilities and invisible procs are always awesome too. Especially when you get the invisible meteor with no sound gdam that thing is nasty.

Not to mention youre gonna be a walking fluff ball till you get enough champion points to rival everyone at the cap but, don't worry that's only going to be 591 points.

Sometimes 3 things proc on you at once from one button.

ESO pvp ***'ing sucks.
    Edited by PurifedBladez on January 7, 2017 10:21AM
  • grumpybird
    grumpybird
    ✭✭

I have played both AvA here and WvW in GW2.

WvW in GW2 is definitely on the decline, the population has dropped considerably (EU) and outside of peak hours and weekends it is hard to find any large scale fights. This is fine if you like to solo take camps and kill guards but that feels more like PvE - although you might meet a defender at a camp now and then.

At peak times in GW2 it's a zerg steamrollering around playing PvDoor with occasional fights that are completely coordinated by a leader on teamspeak - at least the leader is playing the game.
    As you can probably tell I'm a little burnt out with WvW in GW2.

ESO AvA has it's problems as the posts above state but to be honest it's much more alive than GW2's WvW especially in off peak hours. Roaming and small scale fight groups are still viable in ESO (unlike GW2) or you can still zerg if you want to. Taking an objective in ESO almost always involves a fight - unlike in GW2 where it's often PvDoor with little or no resistance from the opposing teams.

TLDR
    GW2 WvW is sadly a dying gamemode and this limits how you are able to play.
    ESO AvA has some problems but still has lots of life and different playstyle options.
  • 888and888
    888and888
    ✭✭✭
    I've been playing both ESO and GW2 for a few months, mostly (90% of my time) as a solo player and in my opinion AvAvA is more enjoyable than WvWvW in GW2.

I'm not commenting on balance, it's an ever changing process and I've never played a game perfectly balanced , so that's not particularly important to me. I base my opinion on how fun is to simply log, enter the PvP zone and play. In ESO it's easier to get a decent fight and sieges are better implemented overall. also, you don't have the stress of tiers like in GW2, where I had to keep changing servers every few months because of the mess of the gold, silver and bronze thing.

Again, I'm talking about playing and having fun, it's strictly based on my experience.

Of course ESO AvA is far from being perfect but I do prefer it over GW2. I've played only a bit of PvE both in GW2 and PvEin eso is in a different, higher category than GW2. Frankly, GW2 had one of the least enjoyable PvE content I've ever tried.

Overall I consider ESO a better game than GW2 and it's a pity ZOS isn't able to raise the bar a little bit. They seems a bit lazy, particularly in regards of implementing patches and fixing bugs.
  • outsideworld76
    outsideworld76
    ✭✭✭
    ESO pvp is totally unplayable due to lag. 2 second lag is pretty normal these days.
  • LegacyDM
    LegacyDM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've played both. Pvp in eso has more depth, and doesn't have that Korean feeling like your hitting a paper mâché cutout. After a while the mini maps in gw2 get boring and you can't wear the armor you want. Theory crafting is limited in gw2 and you are limited to mix and matching 4 elemental tracks. Rvr in gw2 feels more like a wow battle ground map than an actual open world rvr. Eso has vastly superior theory crafting options between classes, races, and weapons. Now the down side to eso is server performance and combat imbalances. If you can get over the combat imbalances and learn to just have fun you'll be ok. FYI, During peak hours you will get serious lag regardless of how good your isp connection is and currently eso has no minimap structured pvp.
    Edited by LegacyDM on January 7, 2017 6:37PM
    Legacy of Kain
    Vicious Carnage
    ¥ampire Lord of the South
  • PurifedBladez
    PurifedBladez
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everyone on here must be a casual pvp player. Like you said you want to buy eso to mainly play pvp.. if you do that your going to be very very mad. Lol.

I'm trying to save you right now bro.. as someone who's sole focus has been pvp in this game since day 1 the glory days of eso pvp are long gone. I've watched this game continue to get worse and worse and the development team literally gives no *** about pvp.

Most of the sets aren't even that different they just vary with their 5 piece cheese. I'm not joking with you that I can literally go around heavy attack and slay people with some of these builds. One button 3 procs.. full potato mode.

You'll get serious lag in pvp anywhere 20+ people are in combat despite the fact that its suppose to be an all out war between 3 alliances.

I just came back to this game after 3 months and it's only gotten worse. As a matter of fact I just quit playing again today because of how terrible the pvp has become.
  • FearlessOne_2014
    FearlessOne_2014
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think there has been a MMO that has released in the past 5 to 6 years that had even decent PvP. All MMOs go the way of Passive/Gear/Elite Specs power creep in order to make easy sales via Expansions and DLCs. As I tell other gamers if you are only looking for PvP, the current MMO genre should be the last place you should look at. However MMOs at least the ones worth their weight and name in gold have really good and satisfying PvE.

For me ESO is the best PvE multi player game on the market. For my PvP like many other actually PvPers we have evacuated our PvP playtime to dedicated PvP games. PvP games that make money off of high octine PvP action and not off of DLCs or Expansions that are PvE focused and make PvP completely unbalanced by design. But then again I'm a being who has the focus to be able to play 2 to 3 games at a time period. My game loyality is just as much as the loyalty of the company who's game I'm playing. So I can spend thousands of dollars and put thousands of hours and still be able to drop said game.

The time where MMOs had decent PvP are long gone. Like others have said if you are trying to play MMOs in general in todays time just for PvP, then you are just inviting much headache and heartache to your selves.

As I've said many times before.... ESO is love, ESO is fun, ESO is not decent PvP nor will ever be.
  • FriedEggSandwich
    FriedEggSandwich
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Haven't played GW2, but ESO pvp is hit or miss when it comes to fun depending on when you play. I have the most fun early in the mornings when population is low. The latency is at its best then and controls are responsive. If you choose to play at peak times you're in for a bizzare experience, you may still find it fun but I doubt it due to latency and chaos.

When controls are responsive and fights small and even ESO pvp is honestly the most fun I've had in a pvp game, and I've been pvping since quake 3 and unreal. You have to look for the fun though, it won't automatically come, and the learning curve is steep and long.

There are plently of twitch streamers who pvp, watching them should give you a good idea of what's possible and whether you might like it. On twitch check out Fengrush, SypherPK, JulesXII, Speez, ForceSiphon and BlobESO. If you do fall for eso pvp you will probably be hooked for a while.
    PC | EU
  • FearlessOne_2014
    FearlessOne_2014
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Haven't played GW2, but ESO pvp is hit or miss when it comes to fun depending on when you play. I have the most fun early in the mornings when population is low. The latency is at its best then and controls are responsive. If you choose to play at peak times you're in for a bizzare experience, you may still find it fun but I doubt it due to latency and chaos.

When controls are responsive and fights small and even ESO pvp is honestly the most fun I've had in a pvp game, and I've been pvping since quake 3 and unreal. You have to look for the fun though, it won't automatically come, and the learning curve is steep and long.

There are plently of twitch streamers who pvp, watching them should give you a good idea of what's possible and whether you might like it. On twitch check out Fengrush, SypherPK, JulesXII, Speez, ForceSiphon and BlobESO. If you do fall for eso pvp you will probably be hooked for a while.

As a ex GW2/ESO PvPer you'd have more fun PvPing here

the 69,000 plus views would have to agree with me here. The MMO genre have left the PvP door open and a whole new genre was born walked in and completely dominated with absolutely unquestioned supremacy. It's a no brainer that PvP in a Dedicated PvP games that have balance patches just for PvP every 2 weeks is way more fun then a game with PvP as a side project that is only balanced every 4 to 7 months, with player input being the least factor in who is going to kill or die. I'm just saying it's just basic logic, and not rocket science.
    Edited by FearlessOne_2014 on January 7, 2017 11:17PM
  • FriedEggSandwich
    FriedEggSandwich
    ✭✭✭✭✭

As a ex GW2/ESO PvPer you'd have more fun PvPing here

the 69,000 plus views would have to agree with me here. The MMO genre have left the PvP door open and a whole new genre was born walked in and completely dominated with absolutely unquestioned supremacy. It's a no brainer that PvP in a Dedicated PvP games that have balance patches just for PvP every 2 weeks is way more fun then a game with PvP as a side project that is only balanced every 4 to 7 months, with player input being the least factor in who is going to kill or die. I'm just saying it's just basic logic, and not rocket science.

I've watched streams of Smite and Paragon and they don't do it for me. I've also tried dota 2, and nope. Also another issue for me is the time and money I've invested in eso prevents me from letting go. I have over 100 days /played on my main toon, and I have 4 max rank toons. I don't doubt there are games out there that provide a more polished pvp experience, but I haven't seen one that grabs me yet.

I will admit that my pvp requirements might have changed over the years. I spent a long time playing shooters, the last one being BF4, and ESO managed to convert me from fps and I don't miss it yet. Actually I miss BF3 but dice will never go back to what made that game good for me. BF4 was a joke and BF1 looks to be a joke too. I'm no eso fanboy but I am stuck here for a bit I think.

Edit: I forgot about overwatch; that game actually looks fun but the community is vile and the hitboxes are huuuge lol
    Edited by FriedEggSandwich on January 7, 2017 11:37PM
    PC | EU
  • Xsorus
    Xsorus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Having played Both

ESO is the better pvp game, Gw2 is pretty *** right now and will continue to remain that way for a long time.
  • thedude33
    thedude33
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try and make this short and sweet without the rant.

GW2 isn't really PvP. It's coordinated Pvdoors. It's like doing the dolmens circuit. You take a keep and leave, opposing faction takes back the keep while you are taking back the keep you just took. Rinse/repeat. In fact, if you really want to stir things up? With a couple of friends, stay at the keep your faction just captured. Each build an arrow cart. When the enemy comes, start blasting away.

What happens next? You get hate tells from your own faction ..WTH are you doing? Stop defending !!!

In addition, the best word I can use to describe GW2 developers ? Trolls. Some of the things they have installed in the game are very troll worthy. Their version of stealth is unbelievably bad.

Obviously ESO has it's flaws in PvP, but it is far far better than GW2 PvP
    Edited by thedude33 on January 8, 2017 4:50AM
    1v1 Win/Loss Record in PvP.
    1 Wins - 392 Losses (guy was AFK)

• Mojomonkeyman
    Mojomonkeyman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    italia366 wrote: »
    What is up guys

So pvp in WoW legion has got the best of me and i am truly just burnt out of that game, and i am on the hunt for a new MMO to play where one of my main focues will obviously be pvp. and the first two that come to my mind are ESO and GW2. I've dabbled in both games before so i have a rough idea of what i am doing, but i am just not sure of which one to commit to.

Out of the two games, which one has the better PvP and why?

I know i am posting on the ESO forums so i am bound to get some bias, but if you have experience with both games, id appreciate the feedback

Thanks!

The actual gw2 tpvp back in the days was rly good when lots of competitive teams were playing.
    Koma Grey, Chocolate Thunder, Little Mojo, Dagoth Mojo & Mojomancy
  • LegacyDM
    LegacyDM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think there has been a MMO that has released in the past 5 to 6 years that had even decent PvP. All MMOs go the way of Passive/Gear/Elite Specs power creep in order to make easy sales via Expansions and DLCs. As I tell other gamers if you are only looking for PvP, the current MMO genre should be the last place you should look at. However MMOs at least the ones worth their weight and name in gold have really good and satisfying PvE.

For me ESO is the best PvE multi player game on the market. For my PvP like many other actually PvPers we have evacuated our PvP playtime to dedicated PvP games. PvP games that make money off of high octine PvP action and not off of DLCs or Expansions that are PvE focused and make PvP completely unbalanced by design. But then again I'm a being who has the focus to be able to play 2 to 3 games at a time period. My game loyality is just as much as the loyalty of the company who's game I'm playing. So I can spend thousands of dollars and put thousands of hours and still be able to drop said game.

The time where MMOs had decent PvP are long gone. Like others have said if you are trying to play MMOs in general in todays time just for PvP, then you are just inviting much headache and heartache to your selves.

As I've said many times before.... ESO is love, ESO is fun, ESO is not decent PvP nor will ever be.

Best pvp game I ever played was age of Conan. Open world pvp, sieges, minimaps, great graphics, brutal bloody combat and no lag! Too bad funcom quickly abandoned it in favor of secret world and the equivalent to ce ran rampid and killed it. Combat wise, eso is a close second.
    Edited by LegacyDM on January 8, 2017 9:25AM
    Legacy of Kain
    Vicious Carnage
    ¥ampire Lord of the South
  • PurifedBladez
    PurifedBladez
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LegacyDM wrote: »

Best pvp game I ever played was age of Conan. Open world pvp, sieges, minimaps, great graphics, brutal bloody combat and no lag! Too bad funcom quickly abandoned it in favor of secret world and the equivalent to ce ran rampid and killed it. Combat wise, eso is a close second.

I loved age of conan.
  • Kutsuu
    Kutsuu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly if you're a pure PVP player, you'll find a better home in GW2. Their dev team puts a lot of effort into PVP and there are regular balance patches. The WvW pvp doesn't feel as good as Cyrodiil IMO, but the structured PVP makes up for it as long as you're ok with arena-style pvp. In WVW, your PVE gear counts and there will be level/gear imbalance in general if you enjoy that.

With structured pvp, you have tournaments where you can take premades (4v4 type of stuff), and you have SPVP where it's 100% PUG (nobody can join as a group). The neat thing about the tournament/SPVP is that everyone is on exactly equal footing when it comes to level (you are auto-leveled to max while there and get the same skill points as any other max level - no "scaling") and gear - you can get all the gear from NPCs in the staging area and it's equal for everyone. There are test dummy NPCs to practice on and such also. You can respec on the fly, regear on the fly, test builds all you want. You only need to have a level 10 character to do max level PVP this way with no penalties vs someone who is max level.

Personally I am no longer playing GW2 because I didn't enjoy the general lack of progression and the fact that character building was somewhat shallow compared to other games. I think it's sort of necessary for that game to work like it does and to be as well balanced as it is, and I will admit the skill cap is very high regardless.

IMO ESO has some core issues with the combat system that makes it difficult to enjoy PVP at times. Animation canceling is both required and buggy, and fights often amount to watching health bars yo-yo back and forth until someone finally gets bursted down before they can rapidly heal back to full. Then there's the lag...... the ever prevalent lag that will add RNG to every fight for your enjoyment. Oh, and I almost forgot the biggest issue with ESO PVP - the devs put their effort where the money is - PVE. PVP gets huge, wildly overcompensating balance patches every 3-6 months that never hit the mark. Incremental patches are unheard of.

However, ESO has this magical allure with Cyrodiil that makes you LOVE the idea of what the game could be. I seem to keep playing, just constantly holding onto hope that it will become what it could be. If I get annoyed with all the current PVP issues, I just go back to PVE to farm for my next build or next character... I've fallen into the trap of hope.
    Edited by Kutsuu on January 9, 2017 3:38PM
    PC/NA

Envy Me - Sorc
    Kutsus - NB
    Kutsmuffin - Temp
    Kutsuu the Destroyer - NB
    Kutsuu - Temp
    Natsu Dragoneel - DK
    Kutsumo - NB
  • Kutsuu
    Kutsuu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LegacyDM wrote: »

Ugh if only we could have a time-locked version of Age of Conan from the ~1.6 era... I'd never play another game. Really hate it how they killed that game with the game breaking bugs/exploits early on. Was released too early.
    PC/NA

Envy Me - Sorc
    Kutsus - NB
    Kutsmuffin - Temp
    Kutsuu - Temp
    Natsu Dragoneel - DK
    Kutsumo - NB
  • MalakithAlamahdi
    MalakithAlamahdi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For small scale (pvp, not the WvW) GW2 is a lot better. I would still say ESO's openworld Cyrodiil is beter than WvW, even with it's current problems.
  • FearlessOne_2014
    FearlessOne_2014
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kutsuu wrote: »
    Honestly if you're a pure PVP player, you'll find a better home in GW2. Their dev team puts a lot of effort into PVP and there are regular balance patches. The WvW pvp doesn't feel as good as Cyrodiil IMO, but the structured PVP makes up for it as long as you're ok with arena-style pvp. In WVW, your PVE gear counts and there will be level/gear imbalance in general if you enjoy that.

With structured pvp, you have tournaments where you can take premades (4v4 type of stuff), and you have SPVP where it's 100% PUG (nobody can join as a group). The neat thing about the tournament/SPVP is that everyone is on exactly equal footing when it comes to level (you are auto-leveled to max while there and get the same skill points as any other max level - no "scaling") and gear - you can get all the gear from NPCs in the staging area and it's equal for everyone. There are test dummy NPCs to practice on and such also. You can respec on the fly, regear on the fly, test builds all you want. You only need to have a level 10 character to do max level PVP this way with no penalties vs someone who is max level.

Personally I am no longer playing GW2 because I didn't enjoy the general lack of progression and the fact that character building was somewhat shallow compared to other games. I think it's sort of necessary for that game to work like it does and to be as well balanced as it is, and I will admit the skill cap is very high regardless.

IMO ESO has some core issues with the combat system that makes it difficult to enjoy PVP at times. Animation canceling is both required and buggy, and fights often amount to watching health bars yo-yo back and forth until someone finally gets bursted down before they can rapidly heal back to full. Then there's the lag...... the ever prevalent lag that will add RNG to every fight for your enjoyment. Oh, and I almost forgot the biggest issue with ESO PVP - the devs put their effort where the money is - PVE. PVP gets huge, wildly overcompensating balance patches every 3-6 months that never hit the mark. Incremental patches are unheard of.

However, ESO has this magical allure with Cyrodiil that makes you LOVE the idea of what the game could be. I seem to keep playing, just constantly holding onto hope that it will become what it could be. If I get annoyed with all the current PVP issues, I just go back to PVE to farm for my next build or next character... I've fallen into the trap of hope.

You also forgot to mention about the way. ANet devs give people free ranking. Punish players for playing reward players for not playing. Stack matches like some people would stack a deck of cards to the favor of one team. Beyond Toxic community nearly as toxic as LoL's community for no reason. No competitive scene at all. ANet only listens to the people that benifits from not having a competitive scene. A marketing team that uses GW2's sad and funny self proclaim eSports only as a marketing tool/Advert. Oh and the fact that it struggle to get 3,000 players during it's huge ESL tournaments. Anet leave things broken for 3 plus months, balance patches only happens every 3 month most times longer. ANet has one of the worst Match Making system for nearly any competitive PvP system.

Because of all of what I've said. GW2's pvp scene died so bad so fast. That in order to mask that fact ANet had to give out free gold and Ascended basically Vet Pledge gear sets to PvEers to even think about touching that games PvP. Most of the PvPers that used to play GW2 PvP are gone, %90 of it's current PvP population which is super small and still dying are nothing more then non competitive PvEers that just AFK farming gold and Ascended gear. Don't believe me go look on the guild wars 2 forums your self.

GW2's is atm a Game which had success in a bottle handed to it. But decided to sell it off for a quick lump sum rather then investing it. So by all means go PvP in GW2 if you want to join what's left of it's actually PvP community complaining about horrible matches and stacked matches.
  • PurifedBladez
    PurifedBladez
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You also forgot to mention about the way. ANet devs give people free ranking. Punish players for playing reward players for not playing. Stack matches like some people would stack a deck of cards to the favor of one team. Beyond Toxic community nearly as toxic as LoL's community for no reason. No competitive scene at all. ANet only listens to the people that benifits from not having a competitive scene. A marketing team that uses GW2's sad and funny self proclaim eSports only as a marketing tool/Advert. Oh and the fact that it struggle to get 3,000 players during it's huge ESL tournaments. Anet leave things broken for 3 plus months, balance patches only happens every 3 month most times longer. ANet has one of the worst Match Making system for nearly any competitive PvP system.

Because of all of what I've said. GW2's pvp scene died so bad so fast. That in order to mask that fact ANet had to give out free gold and Ascended basically Vet Pledge gear sets to PvEers to even think about touching that games PvP. Most of the PvPers that used to play GW2 PvP are gone, %90 of it's current PvP population which is super small and still dying are nothing more then non competitive PvEers that just AFK farming gold and Ascended gear. Don't believe me go look on the guild wars 2 forums your self.

GW2's is atm a Game which had success in a bottle handed to it. But decided to sell it off for a quick lump sum rather then investing it. So by all means go PvP in GW2 if you want to join what's left of it's actually PvP community complaining about horrible matches and stacked matches.

Lol that's funny that's exactly what's happened to eso pvp playerbase. Minus the gear farming because the sets that drop from eso pvp are trash.

The majority of the pvp population has left and the majority of the ones that still play hate pvp in its current state.

Your post really sounds like your talking about eso.. lol.
    Edited by PurifedBladez on January 9, 2017 11:44PM
  • FearlessOne_2014
    FearlessOne_2014
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Lol that's funny that's exactly what's happened to eso pvp playerbase. Minus the gear farming because the sets that drop from eso pvp are trash.

The majority of the pvp population has left and the majority of the ones that still play hate pvp in its current state.

Your post really sounds like your talking about eso.. lol.

That pretty much is how the MMO genre in general doing for PvP. To the modern day MMO companies PvP is nothing but side project to lure a few more players to play and spend money. It never anything meaningful nor prestigious. No if you are looking for quality PvP these days then you have to go to the MOBA or Competitive Shooter genres to get it. Remember MMOs don't make sales from everyone being equal on a leveled playing field. MMOs these days make money off of Power Creep from Expansions, and or DLCs, or full on P2W models. You will never get quality PvP from that, if you think you can then you are very innocent.

MMOs lefted the PvP door wide open and MOBAs not only stepped thru, but they have completely taken over that house. It's no surprise that MMOs at best can hope for about 4000 views on twitch during so called ESL events, then games like DoTA, LoL, and Smite can effortlessly have 60,000 plus viewers on twitch alone watching their ESL events. Others will tell you the same thing. There is a reason why MMO always fail at the eSports scene when they try.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEXgHOsRt8c

That guy can put it to you in long drawn out point of view.
  • Ishammael
    Ishammael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Have played both.

They are very different. ESO is clearly a better game now. The amount and general quality of PvE is pretty astounding to be honest. PvE endgame is a bit sad, but the journey is remarkable. In two weeks it will all be about housing now (aka grinding).

Unfortunately , ESO golden PvP years are well behind it. Players will argue about the absolute peak of PvP play, but it has been declining steadily since launch. There have been resurgences, notably during the 1.5 through 1.6 transition, a slight uptick at IC launch (Aug 2015) and 1T launch (Aug 2016). Unless ZOS changes its content release plans I wouldn't expect much change over the next year other than a slow decline in the player base.

This is truly unfortunate because cyrodiil is a magical place. Probably the most fun I've had in a video game since Baldurs Gate.
  • Kode
    Kode
    ✭✭✭

Pretty spot on. I bounce back and forth between ESO and GW2, both games are lacking in different ways. ESO has so many good points but for the most part you are left waiting for it to work itself out.
    GW2 is a ton of fun and I love it, but it gets so old so quick. The only thing I would add to GW2... I hate the people and the player type that plays it.
    Kode Darkstar, Aldmeri Dominion
  • FearlessOne_2014
    FearlessOne_2014
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Pretty spot on. I bounce back and forth between ESO and GW2, both games are lacking in different ways. ESO has so many good points but for the most part you are left waiting for it to work itself out.
    GW2 is a ton of fun and I love it, but it gets so old so quick. The only thing I would add to GW2... I hate the people and the player type that plays it.

Pretty spot on for a bold faced lie.

- It's not a Arena PvP. It's a capture and hold point PvP with classes that can nuke the point with spammable AOEs that cover the whole point, you have to contest while having full on access to invulns and block.

- One of the biggest problems plaguing GW2's structured PvP. Is that fact you get put on teams of 5 randoms going up against 2xDuos, and one rando. It's is not %100 PUG that's another lie.

- Like ESO, there is so very little actually effort being put into GW2's PvP. Balance patches happens only every 3 months some times longer. Up until recent Herald was completely OP and dominating the PvP scene in GW2 for over a year.

If you really want to view GW2's PvP watch some of it's streamers and youtubers. GW2's PvP is very mismanaged at the moment. It used to be good then. ANet started pushing skill less power creep via is 1st expansion Heart of Thorns. (Because who cares about balance in a competitive eSports right?) After that ANet crushed their PvP even more by again stacking teams so you'd have a clear victor before the match even start. That was Seasons 2 and 3. Season 4 in GW2 Ranked PvP ANet decided to force %50/50 win/loss ratios on solo queuers that was getting farmed by 5 man pre made teams. Because of the inherent balance between pre mades and PUGs and a match maker that didn't care about making quality matches. The PvP scene in GW2 dropped of so bad that ANet was force to do Solo/Duo queue only for Season 5. However in Season 5 because again Match Maker System just can't be ask to make quality matches teams are once again either gimped or get a unfair advantage. Plus not to mention all of the AFKers that goes unpunished in GW2's Ranked PvP with video evidence handed over to support and posted on youtube. Plus players being able to queue for Rank Pvp and able to troll ranked on throw away Alt account after only 5 hours of actually PvP game play in unranked.

Out of all of the competitive PvP Ranked Leagues in PvP games on the market. GW2 is notorious for having one of the worst and most non competitive Ranked PvP modes in gaming.(Most of the GW2's top ranked ESL players in the top 250 are purposely queue dodging and playing the bare minimal of matches in order to hold their positions because you only have to play one match every 3 days to not get decay. Even Blade and Souls' Ranked PvP carries more prestige and weight then GW2's. All GW2's ranked PvP mode is good for is spamming matches and farming gold with no cares about winning because that's how bad it is right now.

Don't let these other people try to lure you into something that clearly is not.
  • Kutsuu
    Kutsuu
    ✭✭✭✭✭

- It's not a Arena PvP. It's a capture and hold point PvP with classes that can nuke the point with spammable AOEs that cover the whole point, you have to contest while having full on access to invulns and block.

- One of the biggest problems plaguing GW2's structured PvP. Is that fact you get put on teams of 5 randoms going up against 2xDuos, and one rando. It's is not %100 PUG that's another lie.

- Like ESO, there is so very little actually effort being put into GW2's PvP. Balance patches happens only every 3 months some times longer. Up until recent Herald was completely OP and dominating the PvP scene in GW2 for over a year.

If you really want to view GW2's PvP watch some of it's streamers and youtubers. GW2's PvP is very mismanaged at the moment. It used to be good then. ANet started pushing skill less power creep via is 1st expansion Heart of Thorns. (Because who cares about balance in a competitive eSports right?) After that ANet crushed their PvP even more by again stacking teams so you'd have a clear victor before the match even start. That was Seasons 2 and 3. Season 4 in GW2 Ranked PvP ANet decided to force %50/50 win/loss ratios on solo queuers that was getting farmed by 5 man pre made teams. Because of the inherent balance between pre mades and PUGs and a match maker that didn't care about making quality matches. The PvP scene in GW2 dropped of so bad that ANet was force to do Solo/Duo queue only for Season 5. However in Season 5 because again Match Maker System just can't be ask to make quality matches teams are once again either gimped or get a unfair advantage. Plus not to mention all of the AFKers that goes unpunished in GW2's Ranked PvP with video evidence handed over to support and posted on youtube. Plus players being able to queue for Rank Pvp and able to troll ranked on throw away Alt account after only 5 hours of actually PvP game play in unranked.

Out of all of the competitive PvP Ranked Leagues in PvP games on the market. GW2 is notorious for having one of the worst and most non competitive Ranked PvP modes in gaming.(Most of the GW2's top ranked ESL players in the top 250 are purposely queue dodging and playing the bare minimal of matches in order to hold their positions because you only have to play one match every 3 days to not get decay. Even Blade and Souls' Ranked PvP carries more prestige and weight then GW2's. All GW2's ranked PvP mode is good for is spamming matches and farming gold with no cares about winning because that's how bad it is right now.

Don't let these other people try to lure you into something that clearly is not.

You're obviously very bitter about your experience in GW2. That's clear at the least. First, 5v5 tournaments are not the only game mode in SPVP - you seem to ignore everything else just to make a point about the woes of soloing in ranked tournament mode. Let me guess, you were playing solo ranked tournament because you're such a toxic person that nobody wants to group with you? Nah, let's just pretend it's all the game's fault.

Either way, OP didn't say anything about wanting to play a popular esport game. Most people would be telling him to play MOBAs if that was the case. Tell me, how does ESO stand in the esports world?
    PC/NA

Envy Me - Sorc
    Kutsus - NB
    Kutsmuffin - Temp
    Kutsuu - Temp
    Natsu Dragoneel - DK
    Kutsumo - NB
  • FearlessOne_2014
    FearlessOne_2014
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You're obviously very bitter about your experience in GW2. That's clear at the least. First, 5v5 tournaments are not the only game mode in SPVP - you seem to ignore everything else just to make a point about the woes of soloing in ranked tournament mode. Let me guess, you were playing solo ranked tournament because you're such a toxic person that nobody wants to group with you? Nah, let's just pretend it's all the game's fault.

Either way, OP didn't say anything about wanting to play a popular esport game. Most people would be telling him to play MOBAs if that was the case. Tell me, how does ESO stand in the esports world?

ESO stands on the same page as GW2 in the relevant eSports scene zero.
  • Hexyl
    Hexyl
    ✭✭✭
    If you want good pvp. Stay on WoW.

Don't be abused by all of those "great master pvp" who make vids arounds there. Is just totally about gear who do everything for you and Addon / Macro.
  • FearlessOne_2014
    FearlessOne_2014
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hexyl wrote: »
    If you want good pvp. Stay on WoW.

Don't be abused by all of those "great master pvp" who make vids arounds there. Is just totally about gear who do everything for you and Addon / Macro.

Lol I'll honestly say from personal experience in WoW, GW2, ESO, BnS, BDO, DCUO, Neverwinter, and Tera. If you only want good PvP then stay away from MMOs till the genre's business model change back to a competitive model.