Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Impenetrable and Resistant for PvE Tanks

Veraen
Veraen
✭✭
Hey guys, quick question. Is there any benefit to using Impenetrable traits on your armor armor or putting champion points Resistant if you don't do Cyrodil or dueling?

I guess I'm just wondering how much critical strike damage there is in PvE. Any tips or links would be appreciated!
Veræn → XB1/NA
  • Syrani
    Syrani
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am pretty sure PVE mobs/bosses don't crit. I think it would get real ugly real fast if they did.
  • Veraen
    Veraen
    ✭✭
    Syrani wrote: »
    I am pretty sure PVE mobs/bosses don't crit. I think it would get real ugly real fast if they did.
    I appreciate your response. I remember reading that somewhere, but really can't remember where. I'd feel better seeing an actual study on this before writing off critical resistance as only for Cyrodil and dueling.

Does anybody have any facts to share on this topic?
    Veræn → XB1/NA
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    PvE mobs/bosses don't crit, if you don't believe us test it yourself.
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• Veraen
    Veraen
    ✭✭
    Danksta wrote: »
    It's not that I don't believe you, but "pretty sure" has a level of uncertainty that I'm uncomfortable with. You seem quite confident though. Have you tested it?
    Veræn → XB1/NA
  • bebynnag
    bebynnag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Veraen wrote: »
    Syrani wrote: »
    I appreciate your response. I remember reading that somewhere, but really can't remember where. I'd feel better seeing an actual study on this before writing off critical resistance as only for Cyrodil and dueling.

Does anybody have any facts to share on this topic?

Best way for you to test if for yourself is to agro a worlo boss and let him beat on you when you have 0 crit resist, take a screen shot of your death recap, make a note of the figures on your screen
    then let the same world boss beat on you when you have a bunch of crit resist

it is importat that you change nothing about your build at all to get accurate figures i suggest removing all cp for base test, and then putting a bunch of CP into crit resist and nothing else

you will see for yourself that the boss is hitting you for the same amount regardless of how much crit resist you have, because PvE adds & bosses do not crit.
  • bebynnag
    bebynnag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not that I don't believe you, but "pretty sure" has a level of uncertainty that I'm uncomfortable with. You seem quite confident though. Have you tested it?

i have to prove a point to a guildie. deleted the vid. maybee i should of uploaded it 2 youtube
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

No I haven't to be honest, but there are certain people I know in game, on the forums and streamers/YouTube'ers that I trust that have said it's so.

If you want to test, just go agro a mob make note of what attacks do how much damage and if a certain attack varies by 150% sometimes then that's your crit, but I'd be willing to bet money that it won't happen.

To me it makes sense that mobs wouldn't crit considering that some attacks that are nearly a one-shot would be if they crit, and that would just be extremely frustrating. You should know before hand if an incoming attack is a one-shot or not.
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• Veraen
    Veraen
    ✭✭
    I appreciate the additional information both @Danksta and @puffytheslayer provided very much. I really wanted to understand the reason nobody seems to use critical resistance in PvE and y'all have helped with this. I am not very skeptical anymore but think I might try the test you recommended with a world boss anyway just for the fun of it.

It doesn't really make sense to me that PvE bosses and mobs wouldn't have a small amount of critical strike chance though... Getting one-shot in a PvE dungeon wouldn't be fun, but since anyone can resurrect in combat, that really wouldn't be a game killer in my opinion. I think maybe the reason might be that ZOS wanted to create a separation between PvP and PvE gear. If they allowed PvE mobs to critical strike then the same gear would have value for both PvE and PvP gameplay.

The bottom line is that I am not going to use critical resist on my PvE gear. I feel confident that not only does the community agree on this topic, but that I have a way to test it if I am in disbelief. I think this thread will serve others who have the same question well in the future.

Now I'm curious how much critical resist is considered good for PvP. I mean, do people typically max out Resistant with 100 points and use Impenetrable trait on all 7 armor pieces? I'd love to hear your thoughts if you have time.
    Edited by Veraen on January 5, 2017 7:48PM
    Veræn → XB1/NA
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I appreciate the additional information both @Danksta and @puffytheslayer provided very much. I really wanted to understand the reason nobody seems to use critical resistance in PvE and y'all have helped with this. I am not very skeptical anymore but think I might try the test you recommended with a world boss anyway just for the fun of it.

It doesn't really make sense to me that PvE bosses and mobs wouldn't have a small amount of critical strike chance though... Getting one-shot in a PvE dungeon wouldn't be fun, but since anyone can resurrect in combat, that really wouldn't be a game killer in my opinion. I think maybe the reason might be that ZOS wanted to create a separation between PvP and PvE gear. If they allowed PvE mobs to critical strike then the same gear would have value for both PvE and PvP gameplay.

The bottom line is that I am not going to use critical resist on my PvE gear. I feel confident that not only does the community agree on this topic, but that I have a way to test it if I am in disbelief. I think this thread will serve others who have the same question well in the future.

Now I'm curious how much critical resist is considered good for PvP. I mean, do people typically max out Resistant with 100 points and use Impenetrable trait on all 7 armor pieces? I'd love to hear your thoughts if you have time.

For PvP I typically aim for about 2k crit resist. I've heard the cap is about 3200. There's a PvP healing set (Transmutation) that buffs your crit resist by 1200 so if you get to 2k this set gets you to the cap. Even without the Transmutation buff I still feel quite a difference compared to no crit resist.
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• Veraen
    Veraen
    ✭✭
    For PvP I typically aim for about 2k crit resist. I've heard the cap is about 3200. There's a PvP healing set (Transmutation) that buffs your crit resist by 1200 so if you get to 2k this set gets you to the cap. Even without the Transmutation buff I still feel quite a difference compared to no crit resist.
    Interesting. I suppose I could also do a test of the 3200 cap by incrementally applying more and more critical resist until I reach and then surpass that theoretical limit, dueling people at each step and having them hit me with the same ability repeatedly.
    Edited by Veraen on January 5, 2017 10:53PM
    Veræn → XB1/NA
  • bebynnag
    bebynnag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad to of been of help

but regarding your comment

t doesn't really make sense to me that PvE bosses and mobs wouldn't have a small amount of critical strike chance though... Getting one-shot in a PvE dungeon wouldn't be fun, but since anyone can resurrect in combat, that really wouldn't be a game killer in my opinion. I think maybe the reason might be that ZOS wanted to create a separation between PvP and PvE gear. If they allowed PvE mobs to critical strike then the same gear would have value for both PvE and PvP gameplay.

when you are in an undaunted dungeon or trial (particularly veteran ones) & you are fighting a boss, many of whom have (almost) one shot mechanics (unless you are a tank) you are greatfull that mobs & bosses don't crit! ;)

you also need to be resurrected by an ally should you die in boss fights, so it is not as simple as spend a soul get & get back in the fight!
    Edited by bebynnag on January 5, 2017 11:32PM
  • bebynnag
    bebynnag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    p.s. yes the crit resist test was fun to do.
    it ws just after damage figures on screen were introduced to console, and i had been having a long standing debate with a guildie.... i won a tempering alloy! so was it was very beneficial ;)
  • Veraen
    Veraen
    ✭✭
    it ws just after damage figures on screen were introduced to console, and i had been having a long standing debate with a guildie.... i won a tempering alloy! so was it was very beneficial ;)
    Haha, that's awesome! Way to go man. Share your discoveries! Was the cap really 3200?
    Edited by Veraen on January 5, 2017 11:37PM
    Veræn → XB1/NA
  • bebynnag
    bebynnag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Haha, that's awesome! Way to go man. Share your discoveries! Was the cap really 3200?

i dont think crit resist figures were showing on console character sheets at the time i did the test!
  • o0Velius
    o0Velius
    ✭✭✭
    Pve mobs/boss do not crit so the Impenetrable trait is not needed in PVE; PVP however it would deff would work great for; but over all pointless in PVE
    Main Tank For
    Difficulty Increased
    [/b]

PC : @o0Velius

Xbox One. GT: oo Velius
    [/center]